Military Families

Advice for mailing cookies to DH?

I wanted to send DH some chocolate chip cookies for his birthday in two weeks, and I wanted some advice on how to pack them to make sure they're still fresh when they get there.  DH is on a ship, so I'm expecting it to take up to two weeks for the package to get to him.  Thanks for the help!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Advice for mailing cookies to DH?

• You could package them in a Ziplock container with some paper towels.  Wrap it up with plastic wrap.  I also have friends who to that using Pringles containers.  Clean it out first.  You could also make cake in a jar.  I've had more success with those making it over than cookies.  Sometimes the cookies are still good.  Other times, they are a bit hard.  One time, ants got in them even though they were wrapped up like Ft Knox. 
  • The issue I had wasn't freshness, but them getting crumbled during shipping. I put the cookies in ziplock baggies and then wrapped them in bubble wrap. From what I hear, they made it there just fine. I know when I was deployed, I always asked that people use the bubble wrap and when they got to me, they were usually just fine. HTH!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I used the zip lock containers (not the bags). I taped the lid down to keep them from coming open. DH liked it because he could use the container after he ate the cookies.
  • Whenever I mail cookies to my H when he is deployed I seal up about 9 or so at a time using our Food Saver. I stack these "packs" between bubble wrap to help ensure they aren't crushed. Apparently this method works well or so I've been told.
  • In regards to keeping them fresh, putting a slice of bread in the container helps keep them from getting stale.  When I forget my husband is quick to remind me for next time so I guess it really makes that much of a difference! Smile
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My DH says that he prefers marshmellows or airpopped popcorn instead of bubble wrap in the container. It also helps with the freshness. Then we just wrap up the container really carefully usually surrounded by toilet paper (with the paper roll out of it)
  • My DH's #1 request during deployments is always home made cookies. He's been on 2 tours with the navy and 2 with the army and never have my cookies arrived stale or crumbled. This is what I do...

I get those ziploc containers , stack my cookies in there (usually I put parchment paper or paper towels in between the layers so they don't get into one big cookie mountain) and place a piece of bread on top. Then I snap the lid on and usually run a piece of tape over the top as well. He always gets fresh delicious whole cookies and he has a container for whatever he wants to use it for afterward! :) GL! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Vacuum seal :) You can even get the ziplock bags that vacuum seal and they come with a hand held vacuum thing for them. Works great! Then bubble wrap so they don't get broken/crumble.
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I send dh both cookies and brownies all the time and they make it there soft, fresh, and not crumbled. I use ziplock bags and layer them with wax paper between each layer. I usually get about 16 cookies per bag. I like to send as many as possible so he can share. Some of the other guys with him have really appreciated it. He has a few guys there with him they have no wife, girlfriend, and not very supportive families. Dh doesn't share brownies he hides them from the others lol. I wrap each bag in bubble wrap followed by a layer on the inside top and bottom of the box. Make sure whatever you choose to use for storing your cookies has as less air in it as possible. Good Luck!
    DeterminedBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks so much for the help, everybody! 
  • Everything everyone else said, but I use an oatmeal container to ship them in plus the bubble wrap and ziplock.
  • imagehunt2005:
    Vacuum seal :) You can even get the ziplock bags that vacuum seal and they come with a hand held vacuum thing for them. Works great! Then bubble wrap so they don't get broken/crumble.

This.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • All of this advice is great.  One of thing I would add is to slightly underbake the cookies.  Obviously, you don't want to be sending raw cookie dough to him, so watch them very carefully in the oven and take them out when they are super soft.  Let them cool completely before sealing them in any plastic.  I did this for the year my DH was deployed with all cookies and brownies and they always arrived fresh.

Toddler Turtle - November 2011
    Baby Turtle - November 2014

• Also, on a side note for shipping cookies, watch what you ship them with! On my deployment we were sent some amazing looking cookies that were shipped with some sort of soap/laundry detergent and the cookies ended up tasting like soap. Yuck! Stick out tongue
  • I was told with fresh baked cookies,pop microwave popcorn and put the cookies and the popcorn in a ziplock bag. The popcorn with keep the cookies fresh and soft. GL

PCOS & Tilted Uterus TTC for 4 1/2 years w/o meds 5 rounds of Clomid and Metformin BFN 2011 Stopped try for now- JUNE 2011 HSG 09/2011 -Normal Plan, IUI with clomid in December 2011 IUI#1(DEC)- BFN Stopped trying for now-May 2012 Anniversary
  • When DH was deployed, I shipped massive amounts of cookies every two weeks. I would pack them in plastic containers with lids. I would always tape the top to be sure they didn't pop open. They always shipped fine and were fresh upon arrival.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagetash_rn:
    In regards to keeping them fresh, putting a slice of bread in the container helps keep them from getting stale.  When I forget my husband is quick to remind me for next time so I guess it really makes that much of a difference! Smile

Yup, I was going to say the slice of bread! 

ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"