Austin Babies
Options

Non Clicky: WWYD-DH traveling to Europe

So DH just found out he is going to Europe for a week. I have never been and really want to go so, what would you do? A. Just let DH go and stay here with kids B. Take all the kids(22 hour flight with a 4, 2 and 11mt old) C. Leave the older two with grandparents and just take the baby (I'm still nursing him and just don't want to leave him) I really want to go. I've never been to Europe and it just seems like the perfect excuse to go. ETA: sorry about the formatting, I am on my phone and I am pretty computer illiterate so I have to idea how to fix it.

Re: Non Clicky: WWYD-DH traveling to Europe

• Options

Definitely C.

Where in Europe?

• Options
    Option B or C, definitely. Where in Europe is he headed to?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemcurban:
    Definitely C.
    I agree. GO!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    imagemcurban:

Definitely C.

Where in Europe?

Yep.  And I only say that because I would loathe to fly that long with 3 small kids.  And this way, you can sort of get "the lay of the land", and be better prepared to plan a family trip  in the future when everyone's a little bit older.  That's what I would do, anyway.

• Options
    It will most likely be Holland but maybe Ireland too.
  • Options
    C. My parents took me when I was about that age and they backpacked and camped with me, and I was in cloth diapers no less!  So totally do-able.  Especially do-able if you've never been before!
    Help for Haiti: Learn What You Can Do

BFP 12.20.2010 :: missed m/c 1/2011 around 8 weeks
    BFP @ 9dpo 5.24.2011 :: missed m/c 6/2011 around 7 weeks
    positive for ANAs (1:40) with a speckled pattern
    MTHFR c677t mutation (heterozygous)
    *folic acid, baby asprin, Prometrium, acupuncture, Lovenox*
    BFP @ 9dpo 2.1.2012 || HCG = 8 : Progesterone = 19.2
    2nd HCG @ 11dpo = 40 || 3rd HCG @ 21dpo = over 5000!
    Stick, little one, stick! EDD October 15, 2012
  • Options
    I just told my DH last month that there was no way we could go to London with him. There is not enough Benadryl and Xanax in the world that could make me fly internationally with Emily at this age. We barely make it through Costco.

We left the girls with my folks for 6 days in July when we went to St Lucia. I didnt want to leave them again so soon.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Honestly, I wouldn't go, if it were me. I loathe long flights--the only thing that could make it worse is having to care for young children and I feel like the time change would be really hard on my child if we're only there for a week. However, I'm kind of a homebody like that and I'm sure lots of people could go, take an 11 month old, and have a great time. It would be especially doable if you have a super flexible, sleep anywhere kind of a kid (I don't). If voting between B and C, I'd definitely do C.

I definitely want to take our kids to Europe-I went for 2.5 weeks in high school and it was awesome-but I'll wait til they're old enough to appreciate/remember it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageaugust8080:
    I'll wait til they're old enough to appreciate/remember it. 

A 1 hour trip through Natural Bridge Caverns with the girls definitely sealed the deal for me. They were not yet capable of listening, looking or really doing anything other than just running from point A to point B. Hence, I didn't enjoy most the tour or even look up all that often either. I was just making sure they weren't going to kill themselves. I imagine the same would happen in the busy streets of Europe.

Do all your kids have passports already? Because I looked into doing that within 4 weeks and it's kind of a nightmare. FWIW though, DH is a manager and he's sending one of his single employees in his place. At least that's the plan. He mentioned the other day he may still have to go on his own =( Which would suck but I'm not going to put myself and my kids through hell so DH isn't lonely.

• Options

Take the baby.

We've been traveling to Sweden with H since he was under a year. It's not bad at all.  And they never ask you to go through the naked machine when you havea munchkin :)

Since it's your first time, I said just take the little one, otherwise, I'd bring them all. It would be wonderful :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagefjaril:
    It would be wonderful :)

With all due respect I think you're delusional Indifferent But you're a lot more well traveled than I am so maybe the whole process is just less intimidating than it is for me. Flying to Buffalo NY was almost more than I could handle.

• Options

Right now I am leaning towards just taking the baby. However, by no means is he an easy baby, he won't sleep anywhere but his crib. With that being said, he is more than content to just sit on my lab and snuggle.

I would never have even considered doing this with my first or even second child but after my third, I tend to be much more laid back and not overly concerned about schedules and what not like I was with my other 2.

I figure he is still nursing so if all else fails then I can just put him on the boob and hope that he will fall asleep... Of course, all this could backfire and I could be stuck with a screaming baby. But, I know he will be fine when we get there, it's really just the plane ride that I am worried about. Although, a week in Europe might be just what I need to forget about a miserable plane ride! :) 

• Options
    I would take all my kids and try to talk DH into moving there. I love Europe and lived there for a while so I am desperately wanting to go back (especially when we were in the midst of the heat wave). We have taken our kids on several flights ranging from 5-9 hours and it hasn't been that bad. You just have to be very organized with ways to keep them entertained.
  • Options
    When is he going? Those places tend to be rainy and crappy/cold starting up here pretty quickly. If you've never been, the best time to go to places in northern Europe are May-September (unless you want to go into the mountains for skiing and such). Would be worth it to see how weather is trending this year. Southern Europe is lovely for a bit longer, but that is more places like Spain, France, Italy, etc. I would really like to do a late April - May trip back there one of these years.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would take the baby and go. Europe is awesome! There is a lot to do in Amsterdam and Dublin if you'll be in those cities. They are great for walking.
    Business Cat. image
  • Options

Option A is not even an option Stick out tongue

I'm leaning strongly towards C as well. The older kids are still too young to enjoy and appreciate it. And, as you said, you're a pro so taking the baby won't be bad. I get the impression that you're laid back enough to enjoy the trip even if the baby has sleeping issues. I'd go in a heartbeat with mine!

I'd do Option B only if: Your husband could be really hands on and help with the older kids, and you know your kids well enough to know that they'd be well behaved (i.e. easy for y'all so you could still enjoy everything) and they would have a good time (cause you know, at that age some kids just would be shell shocked and have a hard time).

HAVE FUN!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"