LGBT Parenting

Anyone RF past 2?

As RB's bday approaches, DW and I have been talking about whether or not to flip her carseats forward facing.  2 was always my goal, but now that we're almost there and she's perfectly content, I dont really have any good reason to turn her.

thoughts?

Re: Anyone RF past 2?

• We didn't (cause back in the day, the rec was to turn at 12m/20lbs - so we waited till about 18m or so) but my thought, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We're still RF Gwen and have no plans to switch her around anytime soon.

I say, if she's still content and not getting too squished, RF her! Its so much safer.

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
  • Loading the player...
  • After riding a couple of times recently (when we were on vacation) in a van with the kids FF, I would say if she's happy RF, keep her that way! Aside from the safety issues, the kids seemed much less comfortable FF, especially when sleeping. The novelty of seeing out the front and seeing more out the sides didn't compensate for the higher angle and less neck support. If it ain't broke...
    married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Having just had the infant car seat installed.. I am totally baffled by the concept of keeping them turned around until 2.  Where on Earth do their feet/legs go??  Over the back?  Maybe I don't know how big a 2 year old is :)  I will stuff my kid into the seat backwards until 5 if it is safest but... wow, I am surprised (and happy) to hear your kids are comfortable! 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagejeannkerricotober09:
    Having just had the infant car seat installed.. I am totally baffled by the concept of keeping them turned around until 2.  Where on Earth do their feet/legs go??  Over the back?  Maybe I don't know how big a 2 year old is :)  I will stuff my kid into the seat backwards until 5 if it is safest but... wow, I am surprised (and happy) to hear your kids are comfortable! 

They just cross their legs kind of as though they are sitting "Indian style."

I'm going to keep DD RF as long as she will let me.  As of now there are no issues. Her car seat will allow me to keep her RF up to 40lbs so we have a ways to go.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTwo*True:

imagejeannkerricotober09:
    Having just had the infant car seat installed.. I am totally baffled by the concept of keeping them turned around until 2.  Where on Earth do their feet/legs go??  Over the back?  Maybe I don't know how big a 2 year old is :)  I will stuff my kid into the seat backwards until 5 if it is safest but... wow, I am surprised (and happy) to hear your kids are comfortable! 

They just cross their legs kind of as though they are sitting "Indian style."

I'm going to keep DD RF as long as she will let me.  As of now there are no issues. Her car seat will allow me to keep her RF up to 40lbs so we have a ways to go.

exactly - she's fairly tall for her age (85% percentile) but she has no issues crossing her legs and fitting well :)

sounds like all of you are on the same page as we are...if it isnt broke, dont fix it!

thanks for the thoughts!

• E is happily sitting rf still and i have no plans on changing her anytime soon.  Her pedi told us to keep her that way until she is complaining about or she maxs out the seat rf.  She kind of bends her legs a little but she is no where close to the max of rf in the seat (45lbs).  

This is a good reference for extended rear facing.

https://kyledavidmiller.org/car-seat-safety-rear-facing-is-safest.html

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • KEEP it RF as long as you can ...

I was an intern for a few years  at the Alameda County Coroners Bureau ( THE MOURGE) in Okaland as a Coroners Investigator 

We have a saying when we would roll up on a Traffic Accident that involved children 

We always referred to the CHILD in the REAR FACING as the ORPHAN CHILD ( this is not policy or protocol just something that comes with the brotherhood) The reason for this saying is because NO DOUBT when coming on to a TA with a RF car seat There is USUALLY 95.5% only ONE SURVIVOR and its the "ORPHANED CHILD" 

So keep it rear as long as you can it is SO SO SO SO SO SO much safer..

FYI - if you have infants in infant Car seats make sure the handle you hold the car-seat with is in correct position because it will act like a roll bar   and this piece or plastic can be a life saver if for some-reason the set were to be thrown from the vehicle-  and belts should be real snug REAL SNUG  it should be tight with your 2 fingers under there and dont use rolled up receiving blankets  to position - Neck should be slightly cocked forward with chin down and TUSH RIGHT IN THE BOTTOM ...

Sorry I HAVE SEEN SOME *** ... stupid people and MAJOR TRAVESTIES  and  LOSS OF NEW LIFE!

and no matter what the situation is do not unbuckle your kid for any reason while vehicle is moving even if your in a van in the way back .... and dont over your child to breast feed them while the vehicle is moving Just pull over and  take a few min ..

Ok sorry .... 

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • We kept PBS RF past two. I was hoping to get to 3 but she was NOT a happy camper. After much "discussion" DW won and we turned her at about 28 months.  So close!
  • We JUST turned DS at two and a half. He was perfectly content to sit with his knees bent and could have stayed RF longer, but 2.5 is where our parental compromise landed. ;-)  We were definitely the odd ones out in the daycare parking lot. I think everyone else turned their kids right at 2, if not before.
    Kendyl and Mary - June 10, 2006

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"