TTC After a Loss 6 Months+
Options

So I did it...

I finally filled out the "request a consult" form at the RE's office.  EEK.  I've been staring at that form for weeks, debating on what I should do.  Finally, I put my big girl panties on and took that leap.  Now hopefully they'll call me back on Monday and set something up soon.  Now that I've decided to go, I want to go immediately!  LOL

What should I expect at the initial consult?  After that?

PGAL/PAL welcome
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Trying to start our family since 2010
BFP #1 11.4.10, EDD 7.12.11, HB 12/9/10, MMC 12/27/10; 11w6d
BFP #2 9.12.12, EDD 5.24.13, Baby Boy Born 5.15.13!!
My Ovulation Chart
3 Clomid (100mg) cycles + TI + Trigger = BFN's, Femara + Trigger + IUI#1 = BFN
Femara + Trigger + IUI#2 = BFP!
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." ~Gandhi

Re: So I did it...

• Options

I hope you don't have to wait long for an appt. At my first meeting with the RE we went over history and all the tests my ob ran, she had the results and reviewed. She wanted me to chart for a few months and bring them back to her, also did some bloodwork and went over an action plan. She also gave me a script to send dh for a SA. I think I also did bloodwork that day and they had dh do bloodwork.

Jenn

image 3 IUI's all BFN

IVF#1 BFN IVF#2 BFP, loss at 19 weeks FET#1 BFN IVF#3 BFP, m/c FET#2 BFN

Missing our twins Zachary and Madison, lost at 19 weeks on 11/13/09, edd 4/9/10

BFP 7/17/10, m/c 7/25/10, edd 3/25/11

Ectopic, lost left tube 4/20/11, edd 12/6/11

my blog

• Options

Congrats on making that first step! The first step is def the hardest, then you feel like you get on this train, and you just want it to go really, really fast.

I've never had issues getting appts at REs (max wait time was maybe a week, if that). I know some ladies on the boards report wait times of months. If you head over to the IF asnd 3T board, give them the name of the clinic you are considering to get good feedback about them.

I actually went by myself for the initial consult at both RE clinics I've frequented over the years. I also met with the insurance chick who tells me what is/not covered, and how much each treatment ususally costs (you'll be sent home with a nice little packet that lays this out). The dr will then look over the paperwork with you, and ask you some additional questions for clarification. They will assume that you don't frequent TTC boards, and you don't even know what a SA is, and will painstakingly explain all the available tests and treatments: from the simple like clomid +TI to IVF, but they won't know what path will be best for you until you and DH go through the testing process.

Expect the testing process to take ~2 months. By the time I went to my 2nd RE, I had already been pg once and had a dx, so we just needed to do one cycle's worth of testing before running a treament cycle. At my first RE, I had never been PG before, so it actually took 3 months before we could do our first treatment cycle (and those 3 months were the fvcking longest of my life).

They will tell you what tests they want to run: ususally a SA for your DH, CD3 b/w for you, and an HSG for you. The HSG needs to be done usually around CD8ish. I've had two; they suck. They will tell you how to make those appts for when you get your next period.

Once they get all the results back, they will call you in for another appt to tell you what the plan of attack is for your next cycle, and have you order your meds.

Good luck to you!

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you damabo and butterfly!   I really appreciate all the info.  I had a vague idea of what to expect, and your responses really help clarify things!   Man, I'm really nervous and excited at the same time.  I wish my appt was tomorrow!  lol

PGAL/PAL welcome

My Ovulation Chart
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." ~Gandhi
  • Options

I had my first appt with my RE within about 3 weeks of calling.  At the first appt they wanted (if possible) both DH and I there to go over our histories.  I also had to have an internal exam that day (boo).  Then I was told to call on CD 1 to set up for testing.  The next cycle I had CD 3 b/w and u/s around CD 8 I had a SHG (this uses saline instead of dye, slightly different test than a HSG).  DH had already had 2 SA's, so that was takne care of.  Although I wish the RE would have run another one because their lab showed very different results (the other lab was not an RE lab, just a regular one). 

Best of luck - it's really not bad at all.  No worries.      

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Good job on making the leap, that is a hard step to make.

My appointment was 11 days after I made it (I was in the office with DH when I made it).  As far as the first appointment, mine was spent in the Dr's office.  We went over his second SA results and talked about the testing that *would* (I say would because he will not do the testing) be done.  Then I spoke with the financial lady (again), she went over my insurance coverage.  Next my vitals and photo were taken.

I hope your first appointment is a good experience and they get you on track to your take home baby!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ??? TTCAL Buddies w/ BabyTrippin & CashewsMommy ???
    1st BFP = m/c 4.21.08 @ 7W5D (and divorce)
    TTC #1 since 6.10
    SA #1=Agglutination SA #2= Everything perfect
    HSG= All clear & perfect
    Currently learning to live Child Free
    ?My NTNP Chart! ?My Blog!?Follow Me on Pinterest
    CLICK to give care & food to animals in need -
    ?Big Girls have babies too!?
    ??Success/pregnant after everything welcome - FHs need not apply??
  • Options
    Good luck!!!! I know it's a huge step to get things moving!! 

BFP#1 {Cashew} - 9.19.09 EDD 5.26.10
    The day you first lay in my arms, you made my life complete.
    Aurora Rose born sleeping at 35w on 4-21-10
    BFP#2 {Almond} - 2.1.11 EDD 10.12.11 C/P 2.11.11

• Options

Thank you all!  I believe my first appt will be a free consult with a "fertility registered nurse."   I hope they cover lots that day b/c I can't really take off loads of work to come back all the time to meet with everyone individually (dr., finances, testing, etc). 

Maybe I should request skipping straight to the doc?  Anyone consult w/ a nurse first?!?

I have columbus day off, so I'm hoping to set up an appt sometime that day!

PGAL/PAL welcome

My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    For my first appointment, I met with the doctor and because of where I was in my cycle they started me on clomid that night. I waited a couple of weeks for my appointment because I wanted one where both DH and I could go. I don't really know what would happen with a consult with the nurse and I never meet with the finance people so no advice there.
  • Options
    When I first met with my RE, we talked about my history and he looked at all of my FF charts that I brought and the tests that I had done with my OB. He ordered a SA for DH.  I think he discussed a plan with me that was contingent on DH's results coming back normal (which they didn't).  I'm sure I asked some questions, but I don't remember now what they were.  Good luck - I hope you don't have to wait too long to get an appointment!
    Mom to Eliott Alexander, born sleeping at 37 weeks on 8/13/10. Most of us only dream of angels - I held one in my arms.
    BFP #2 - EDD 2/26/12 M/C 6/28/11 @ 5w2d
    BFP #3 - EDD 4/7/12 M/C 8/2/11 @ 4w2d
    Too beautiful for this earth
    BFP #4 - EDD 12/09/12, Lucille arrived 11/26/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"