Working Moms
Options

Nanny with a question...advice, please!

Hi Ladies,

I am currently a student on my way to being an elementary school teacher. Right now, I work 3 days a week as a nanny for two little boys (almost 6 old Kindergartener and a 2 and a half year old). I will be starting my student teaching in January, which will be full time and require me to quit my job.

When is an appropriate time to tell the parents? My thought is the sooner the better, but I am nervous about this because I know the mom will not take it well. Any suggestions are truly appreciated. TIA.
~ Waiting for our Little Spartan~
Our Baby Boy is due September 8, 2012

Re: Nanny with a question...advice, please!

• Options

Legally you have to give the minimum notice in your contract.  With that being said, I would appreciate if I was given as much notice as possible so I could find alternative care.  It would be nice if I was hiring another nanny if I could arrange for some cross training and some insight from you on how the new nanny Is working, but you would have to be aware that potentially you could be out of a job before January depending on when the new child care provider was available etc..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, I am aware of that. Fortunately that is not an issue.

I do not have a contract, which is unfortunate, because that would make it easier for me to determine when to say something. I think I'm going to tell them today so they have plenty of time and I no longer have it hanging over my head.
    ~ Waiting for our Little Spartan~
    Our Baby Boy is due September 8, 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't worry too much about the mom not taking it well.  I'm sure she knows that you are in school to be a teacher so she must have realized that you would eventually be leaving her.  I doubt she will be too surprised.  Get it over with sooner rather than later.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    agree with PPs. the sooner you tell the better. I think our contract says 2 weeks, but I would love if I was given a month so I had adequate time to find someone new. And don't worry about how she will take it. I would never hold it against my nanny for pursuing her education. Mine is in school now too and I know we don't have her forever. I'm just thankful for whatever length she will stay with us and when she decides she needs to move on, I will respect that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    sooner the better.  She may not take it well but it's not like she can go to the closet, pull out a new nanny and kick you immediately to the curb.  Gives them time to be selective about the new nanny.  You will run the risk of potentially getting some extra time off (i.e. the new nanny comes in sooner) but guessing they might want to finish out this year with you for ease of fiscal year accounting/taxes.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    While 2 weeks is common enough if you want to leave on a good note I would plant the seed now - you could talk to the mom how you studies will soon be done...hint hint - nudge nudge...I would probably give official notice 6 weeks out or so - which should give them enough time to find a suitable replacement and even have some overlap. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would tell her as soon as possible.  That way she has time to look for an find a replacement with whom she will be comfortable.  Congrats on starting your student teaching.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"