Natural Birth
Options

Anemic Mamas-I need your help!

So my mw told me yesterday that I am very anemic! I got an iron supplement to take (ferrofood) and I know a lot of the basic foods that are good for iron, I'm just concerned about getting it up in the next 8 weeks. My level is 9.9, anemia is labeled at 10.5, and if I go below 9.5 I can't birth at our birth center! If you have experienced this and successfully kicked it, what worked for you? It feels like everything I eat has to have iron in it or something.. Please share your experiences, I appreciate it!

Re: Anemic Mamas-I need your help!

• Options

I'm in a similar situation, but my score's just a little higher, still low enough that my midwife has me on supplements. She said that being low in iron at this point in pregnancy is very common. I was surprised because my iron count is always very good but with pregnancy the body changes, so anyway onto your question:

-Dairy inhibits the obsorption of iron my MW told me so when you take the vitamin, make sure it's not with a dairy-based meal. (Dairy is good for you though, so no need to stay away at other times of the day)

-Iron rich foods: red meat (I *love* beef tacos!), fortefied oatmeal (I eat 2 quaker packets at a time & each has 20% iron), spinach, some beans I believe are rich in iron

I do an eggs scramble a few times a week: a little onion, half a tomato, half cup frozen spinach sauted in a pan with salt & pepper, scramble in 2 eggs

Hope this helps - good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! How's your iron now? or did you just start?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I remember my former midwife recommending a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses per day to help boost iron levels. Might be worth looking in to!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You can also cook in a cast iron skillet.  It is supposed to help add iron.
  • Options

imagemhickey12:
    I remember my former midwife recommending a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses per day to help boost iron levels. Might be worth looking in to!

Tried that in oatmeal this morning. It was gross! I thought it would taste good, cause you use it in cookies and such, but no. I can't stomach it! lol

• Options
    imagececilyandgautam:

-Dairy inhibits the absorption of iron my MW told me so when you take the vitamin, make sure it's not with a dairy-based meal. (Dairy is good for you though, so no need to stay away at other times of the day)

It is specifically the calcium--so be cautious of any high calcium food or supplement taken with iron-rich foods.  Vitamin C helps iron be absorbed.

Many types of nuts and seeds have a fairly high amount of iron.  I like pumpkin seeds in particular.  They are tasty as snack on their own or added to things.

Good luck! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    in addition to prescription iron supplements, i also took floravital
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I suffer from anemia and it got down to an 8 with my first pregnancy.  With my last one I got down to a 9 and decided to address it through diet only.  I cut out black tea (I was drinking it a lot and it leaches iron from your body) and started eating organ meat twice a week, particularly beef liver.  I brought it up two whole points in a very short time without any supplements.

ETA - I forgot about the blackstrap molasses.  I did that too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"