Upstate NY Babies
Options

Prayers and suggestions needed...

I have a friend from college who is in Crouse Hopsital and she could definitely use some prayers. I don't know all the specifics but she has recently been diagnosed with Mitochondrial Disease after a long hospitalization this past spring. She currently is unable to eat and is getting a TPN feeding line. Basically, I'm hearing from others that this is a progressive and eventually fatal disease. My friends and I are devastated. This is the second of our group to have a fatal illness (another girl has a very rare incurable form of cancer). We sent her some flowers but I really want to send her a separate care package as well. So, my first request is for anyone to send her out some prayers. And my second is for any suggestions of things to send to her. Since she can't eat it definitely limits things. She is also bed or wheelchair bound. I was thinking about maybe some gift cards to local restaurants where her DH can pick up takeout? Any other ideas? If anyone in the SYR area knows of anything local I would appreciate those ideas as well. Oh, I'll add in that she also has two young daughters who are being tested for this disease too b/c it is genetic and they already present with some of the characteristics of it. This is so heartbreaking.

This got long, sorry! Thanks for any prayers and suggestions!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Prayers and suggestions needed...

• Options

I'm so sorry - that is really tough!  So terrible, and for her kids too :(

Sounds like food is probably a limited option, even if she can eat it might be not very enjoyable?  

I would probably get some stuff for the kids.. even if it is a basket of stuff they can play with when they visit their mom in the hospital.

Would your friend like some entertainment magazines?  I know even when I've had a bad day, it's fun to immerse myself in tabloid gossip.  Books might be kind of boring or tough to find something that isn't too 'heavy' for her to read. 

Is she going to be staying in the hospital?  What about some little "spa" stuff for the hospital (nail polish)?  What about a really nice bathrobe or comfy slippers?  When my friend was going through a rough time, I got her a little pillow/pad that was filled with lavender, and you could put it in the microwave and heat it up.    It was really hard to find, but this is sort of along the lines of what it was.

I imagine if she's in the hospital, it can be pretty boring.. anything to help with that (reading material, sudoku, etc).

• Options
    Yeah I was thinking the gift cards could help him with meals for him and the girls. And I definitely want to put some stuff in there for the girls too. The lavendar pillow idea is good too. I'll have to check that out.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This is heartbreaking to hear and I will keep her and her family in my thoughts.

I think its great you are sending something along- what about some DVDs (light chick flicks- sunny musicals- comedies)- if she's in the hospital - daytime TV can blow..

I dont know how many of you are in your "group" but maybe even all going in on a kindle or nook or something...

I dont know if they have them in the area but some manicurists/ pedicurists do "in home" visits- maybe you could send the spa to her...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm so sorry your friend is going through this.  Just recently I drove to Boston to spend the day with a childhood friend who is very ill. She is also bedridden.  My friend watches a lot of movies on her laptop.

Perhaps you could get her a netflix (does that go straight to the computer) or a hulu.com certificate for 2-3 months of service.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageabba916:

This is heartbreaking to hear and I will keep her and her family in my thoughts.

I think its great you are sending something along- what about some DVDs (light chick flicks- sunny musicals- comedies)- if she's in the hospital - daytime TV can blow..

I dont know how many of you are in your "group" but maybe even all going in on a kindle or nook or something...

I dont know if they have them in the area but some manicurists/ pedicurists do "in home" visits- maybe you could send the spa to her...

Along these lines, I've heard some hospitals offer in-room massages you can order for people. I'm not sure if this is one of those hospitals, but it's worth looking into.

T&P to her and her family.

• Options

I'm so sorry I'm late on this. 

So sorry to hear about your friend.  Thoughts and prayers to her.  How heartbreaking.

As for gift cards, I am local to Syracuse and work at Crouse on occasion.  There are a ton of restaurants within walking distance of the hospital or, if her DH and daughters are staying at a hotel nearby, I can probably provide some rec's near there.  

Near the hospital: Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts (coffee is always a good thing when visiting the hospital), Jimmy Johns, Brueggers Bagels, Pita Pit, Chipoltle, Varsity Pizza, Appethaizing and Faegans... that's all I can think of for now,

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to broadcast the hotel.

Hope this helps.  Huge huge ((hugs) to you, your friend and her family.  

Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"