Working Moms

Interview Etiquette

We all know that when we go on an interview, we're supposed to send a follow-up thank you email.  But why can't employers show the same level of professional courtesy to a candidate who has come in for an interview but isn't selected for the position?   It takes two seconds for HR to send a "We appreciate your interest, but...blah blah blah" email. It's not like they have interviewed 20 people.  I keep hearing stories about people going in for interviews and then they hear absolutely.nothing.ever.again.  

I just don't get it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Interview Etiquette

• I'm with you.  My DH interview for 3 different positions within his company and they didn't send any type of follow up.  The only way he found out he wasn't selected for the position was by looking on their job openings website to see it was marked "Filled".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I completely agree. When I was job hunting about 4 yrs ago, I interviewed at a few places, got down to the final 2, but still had to call a few weeks later to find out I wasn't chosen. It was embarrassing and would have been nice to receive a quick email
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I interviewed for a job and was selected for the position but turned it down because they could not negotiate the pay to match my current salary.  About a month later I got a letter in the mailing saying thanks for interviewing but we selected someone we felt was more qualitfied for the position. That bothered me more than not getting a letter at all!
  • Honestly, hiring managers do pull the "time" card, even though it does take 2 seconds to send an email.  The thought usually gets lost in the process.

Also - how quickly would you expect them to do it?  We just hired for 2 positions.  We ended up having to trickle down to our 3rd and 4th candidates due to varying circumstances, and that slowed down the entire hiring process. And, we can't notify candidates who didn't get the job until after the two we did want to hire formally accept an offer, which, again, can take time.  Where I work, it can take up to 3-4weeks to get a hire package back from HR saying "yes, you can make an offer" - then, they still have to accept it.  And all of that has to happen before we can send any "thank you for interviewing....but...." emails.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying lots of factors surround the timing.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I hate it when they say, "We'll let you know either way." In my experience, EVERY time someone has said that to me, not only did I not get the job but I didn't get a rejection of any kind either. Except the cold shoulder.
  • HR should not be the ones sending out the emails We are no longer the paper pushing administrative "personnel" position it used to be. If I had to sit and write emails to every person our company doesn't hire, it would be 5 full time jobs. I work for a 40,000 employee company.

That being said - the person who makes the decision aka the hiring manager (i.e. the person the job reports to) should contact the candidate not chosen. If they don't do that - shame on them. 

Oftentimes, I will let the person know they will not be chosen during the interview.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"