Breastfeeding

Pump Flange Fit Question

I'm trying to figure out if I'm using the right size flange on my pump. I'm wondering if it's too big or if I just have the suction on too high, because it will suck in part of my areola as well as my nipple. It doesn't really hurt but I'm wondering if I should try to find the smaller flanges and use them? How do you know if it's a good fit? 

Re: Pump Flange Fit Question

• I had the same problem with it sucking a lot into the part... I ordered smaller ones to try so I'm just waiting for them to get here any day now. The size I have now were a little uncomfortable and after I was done it felt like my nipples were pulled too much.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • maybe you've seen this, I was just looking at this myself

https://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/assets/file/PF chart.pdf

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp 01/23/10 m/c 12w1d 03/14/10 EDD 09/24/10
    bfp 07/20/10 m/c 5w1d 07/25/10
    bfp 11/19/10 Born 07/24/11 via C/S

My Forever Sister From Another Mister~CashewsMommy!!

• Loading the player...
  • Lurker here: I just dealt with this problem about 3 weeks ago. Knew I had the wrong size but didn't know whether to go bigger or smaller. I met with the LC and learned that part of the areola should be pulled in. That picture from medela didn't help me at all and I went from too small of a flange to way too small of a flange trying to get only my nipple in the flange. I went bigger (per the advice of the LC) and they now fit almost like how LO sucks, just not quite as much areola in the flange as what would be in her mouth. If you take the flange off and there's like a stair step down from your nipple then it's too small (like the pump is trying to make a new nipple around your actual one, if that makes sense). The LC also said that you should be measuring your flanges based on your nipple size after pumping for about 10 seconds. And if you're like me, my nipple almost doubles in size while I'm pumping. HTH
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That definitely helps - Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"