Baby Names
Options

Can't find a middle ground..

DH and I have completely different tastes.. well sort of.  The only name he likes is Claire.  He also loves Emma.  Which is fine, I love the name Claire and Emma. 

But I would also like us to consider more traditional names.. Elizabeth, Eleanor, Eloise, Margaret, Ruby, etc.  DH HATES them. 

I am only 9-10 weeks and I don't want to rush into a name.. So I like to throw around different options- but he gags at the sound any name other than Emma or Claire.

I guess my question is:  
Emma/Claire .. does it fall into the classic/traditional/old fashioned category?  I love those names, but are they overused today (like the ayden names)? .. Because that's what I definitely don't want..

Also, please suggest some good names that you think would satisfy us both.. opinions/suggestions needed.  TIA! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can't find a middle ground..

• Options
    While popular I don't find either name trendy. I think they are both classic and beautiful.  I would go with Claire over Emma since it seems a tad less popular but I think they definitely fit your classic/traditional criteria.
    * DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • Options
    My suggestion is to print off or buy a baby name book then take turns crossing off names and keeping possible choices. Throw out all names you can't agree on. Go from there. You may be surprised that there are more then 2 names you both like, but never thought of yet.
    PS consider boy names too - because Emma and Claire may be a non- issue
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think they're classic and not trendy.  They're both popular now, but so are many of the names you listed.  Classic is popular because the names are timeless.

I second Krissy's suggestion.  Get a book and cross out names.

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• Options

Great advice from the previous posters.

I also suggest you look through a list of Saints names.  Even if you're not Catholic, there are tons of great names in there that are not too overly used.  IMO Emma and Claire are pretty popular right now and I'd want my kid to be the only _____ in his/her class, if possible.

• Options
    Your husband needs to learn to budge a little.  He can't just throw out two names and then put his foot down, that's not fair to you.
  • Options

Great ideas.  We are going to buy a baby book tomorrow.. who knows we might have a boy so this might not even be an issue.

I'm not so concerned about popular.. more concerned about trendy (like I mentioned, the -ayden names).

I think DH will budge if I find another name he likes.. so far he doesn't like my lists.  Hopefully we can cross out names through a baby book and figure something out together.  Thanks for the great advice!

• Options
    Elizabeth and Eleanor are beautiful...If I have another daughter next time around I want these names...DH hates them too but when i suggested she could have a great nickname like Ellie or Ella he liked them. Try that.image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    What I found really helpful, even more than a baby name book, is to check out nameberry's name lists. They have great ones... Classic names, or lists that say 'if you like xyz name, how about abc name'. Much easier to look at names that are your style and get more ideas, than to skim through a baby name book with a gazillion names. Good luck!

edited to correct poor spelling.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"