Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

water/sippy cup?

Does anyone give their LOs water?

We are going to Disney this weekend with our 8 month LOs and I am not sure if they will need some water to stay hydrated. We obviously will keep them shaded and go into AC areas to cool off...but will they need H2O? I called the pedi and left a non-urgent message (clearly) but I was also curious if anyone gives their LOs water.

And if you do...do you use a sippy cup or their bottle? 

Re: water/sippy cup?

• Options

Yes, DD gets small amounts of water from her sippy cup.  Maybe an ounce or two at a time.  No more than a few ounces in a day total.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I try to out of the sippy cup, but he is never very interested. He just chews on the sippy. During the summer if we were outside and I couldn't nurse him right away I would spoon feed him some water. When DS was 6 months old I asked the pedi about it and she said just BM is fine, but if it was a really hot day he could have a few ounces (I can't remember if it was 2 or 4). I'm not sure how much he can have now at 8 months, but I would guess at least 2 ounces if that was okay at 6 months.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I give my daughter water in a sippy cup with every meal. Doc recommended it. She barely drinks any of it but it is good practice for her. Doc also told me to take the no spill thingy out so she could get use to a "cup" and not suck on it like a bottle.image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD gets an oz after lunch and another oz after dinner, she doesnt always drink it all. And she drinks out of a straw cup. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • Options
    DD gets water in a sippy cup when she gets solids at lunch and dinner. She maybe gets an oz. total a day.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    I give DS a sippy with water after breakfast and dinner. He maybe drinks an ounce total a day.
    imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes :)
  • Options
    Yes, from a sippy cup and usually only with solids. I'd bring some with but they may be fine just with their normal formula/bm intake. Plus, the weather is supposed to be great this weekend! Have fun!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    You don't have to give water, and sometimes it's not recommended because BM/Formula has enough water to keep LO hydrated, and too much extra water can fill LO's tummy up and therefore he/she might eat less than needed. But, at 8mos we started giving him some here and there to teach him to use a cup. For whatever reason he doesn't understand how to use the sippy cups with handles. But, the TakenToss ones that don't have handles he's a pro at ahaha. The goal for babies is to not use bottles once they are a year old, so we're doing our best to transition him that way.
    image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"