Food Allergy

dairy intollerance, likely soy, and looking to ween from BFing

I'm sure this gets asked all the time, what dairy and soy alternative did you go to when you weened from BFing?  LO is coming up on a year and I'd like to begin introducing an laterantive milk product.  I've started with soy, at M.D.'s suggestion, but she is getting dark circles under her eyes and gassy.  I'm guessing this will be a no go.  I know rice milk is tolerated by almost everyone, but I'm concerned that it doesn't have enough nutritional value or fat.  Any other suggestions?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: dairy intollerance, likely soy, and looking to ween from BFing

• we use enriched rice milk and we make sure my LO eats some fatty foods. he eats about 1/2 avocado a day and olive oil with everything.  we never had an issue.

there is also coconut milk which is fattier (i think).

flax milk is another

Almond milk is a great one and it actually tastes delish!  but you have to make sure there is no nut allergy so i would hold off until you introduce nuts.

• We do almond milk as DD rejected the coconut. I know some people do hemp or rice milk.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, I forgot to add that we also tried flax. DD liked the taste, I liked the fat/calorie/DHA content, but it did bad things to DD's stomach.
    imageimage
  • Thanks!  I have a few other options to look into now.  I have personally tried all except the hemp.  DD has avocados quite frequently and I already have started adding some olive oil into her foods as she's a peanut at 8% for weight so I'm hoping I can transition her over the next month.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • J gets a combo of enriched rice milk and condensed coconut milk (for the added fats). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were told to do butter, then yogurt, then cheese, then WCM(or soy if we want).  If he reacts to any of the above, he will be tested for allergies(He is MSPI) and most likely put on Elecare JR(He is currently on Elecare).  So far, he's done well with butter and had yogurt today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he has outgrown MSPI!

Good luck. Our Pedi GI has not mentioned other milk alternatives, except Elecare JR.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"