Working Moms

Back to work and he stops sleeping thru the night

My son has been sleeping through the night for about 5 to 6 weeks now.  I started back to work this week and suddenly he is waking up during the night again.  He has a nanny, so that is an adjustment for him, but his day time schedule hasn't changed...............He also is 12 weeks as of yesterday.  Did anyone else have this happen when you went back to work - or maybe he is starting a 3 month growth spurt?  Momma is sooo tired :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Back to work and he stops sleeping thru the night

• Yes. DS was only waking up once a night from around 8 weeks to 12 weeks. When I went back to work, he started waking two or three times a night until he was about 5 months old, then he went back to waking only once a night. It could have been because his routine changed when I went back to work, or something else. You LO's sleep habits will change A LOT that first year.

Hope you have access to lots of caffeine! Big Smile Hang in there!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS hit the 4-month wakeful a few weeks early and went from 10hrs straight to up 3-4xs a night. It's just part of developing a 'mature' sleep cycle. I found the book 'Healthy Sleep Habits Healthy Child' very helpful in learning about this process, even though it advocates CIO and that isn't a good fit for C's personality. The sleep changes are exhausting and it sucks when you have to be on point at work all day, but it does pass.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I think we hit the 4 month wakeful early too.  DD was waking only once from about 8 weeks to 3 months, then once she hit the 3 month mark she started waking up first 2 times, then 3...until it escalated to 6-7 times a night.  This lasted for about 3 weeks and then things started to slowly improve.  DD is just over 4 months and we just had our first night of only 1 wakeup (slept 11.5 hours woke up only once in the middle for a bottle!).  I'm almost afraid to think that her sleep has improved though because I feel like another sleep regression is always right around the corner!
  • Are you BFing?  Sometimes BF babies reverse cycle when you go back to work b/c they prefer BFing over the bottle, so they need to make up calories at night.  It could also be a growth spurt.  Don't worry it probably won't last too long.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, we had this happen when DD2 started daycare.  She slept great, but once daycare started, she regressed.  Hard to tell if it was a 4 month wakeful or a change in routine that started it, but she did eventually go back to STTN.  Hang in there.  Hopefully he will go back to STTN soon.
  • Yup, us too!

What worked for us was introducing a dream feed. Yes (gasp!) we would wake our sleeping LO at 10pm and give her a bottle. What do you know, we now get a full night sleep!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"