High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD: I'm having a "Big Baby"

I had an ultrasound today and baby weighed in at 6 lbs 3 oz (I'm aware this is just an estimate) at just shy of 35 weeks.  In the past four weeks my baby has gained 3 lbs.  My blood sugar numbers have been great (diet controlled).  My doctor said that most likely she'll look at doing a c-section at 39 weeks because babies with GD mamas tend to have very large shoulders and it would be hard to get them out vaginally at 9-10 lbs.  She also said she would want to do an amnio at 38 weeks to check for lung maturity, which I am not all that keen on.  

I'm getting a little concerned about size but trying not to worry.  Just looking for advice from anyone who has been there, done that.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GD: I'm having a "Big Baby"

• Options

I'd have a frank talk with your doc about the difference in GD babies that are diet-controlled and those that are not or mamas on insulin and ask for some real data.  It sounds like your doctor is not up on current GD literature if I'm being honest.  Do you want a c/s?  Do you want future c-sections?  I know that the old-school thinking is to induce at 39w across the board, but things have changed with knowledge of GD.  Why a c-section vs. induction if she is already talking about taking the baby early? 

FWIW, I was diet-controlled and went to 40w1d on my own.  My growth u/s was optional since I was diet-controlled and only had two high numbers.  I was allowed to go to 42w, although I did have NSTs starting at 35w.

Obviously this is all up to you and what you feel comfortable with, but like any surgery I'm a big fan of getting a second opinion or doing a little research myself.  

https://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/gd/gd_index.html
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have to agree with PP.  I have not delivered with GD yet, but I have done extensive reading on the subject as well as had many discussions with my doctors.  So, I guess take my post for what it's worth, since experience is definitely different!

Going straight to c-section due to possible size is pretty old-school in the GD world.  I would hope they would monitor your baby's size closer to delivery before making that call.  

As for the amnio at 38 weeks for lung maturity, I would definitely want to understand the risks of the amnio vs. the risks of possible respiratory distress in the baby, especially if you are delivery at 39 weeks.  Some docs still do this practice as an old standard for "elective early deliveries" which yours would kind of be considered since you are an early scheduled c-section.  There are new studies out that are questioning the need and value of this past 36 weeks.  Again, ask your doctor to clearly explain the risks and do some research. 

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS2 measured 3-4 weeks ahead.  he was 9lbs 4oz and i delivered vaginally no problem.  This is something you will have to decide for yourself, but some babies are big even without GD and mom can do just fine with a vaginal. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DS was 7.1 lbs at 36w6d...he was born at 40w5d naturally (not induced), no meds at 9.6 lbs and 20.75" long.  I had a quick 1 hour birth and it was great...teeny tiny tear, 1 stitch.  I was never told he was going to be a big baby or any concerns about not being able to deliver vaginally. I did not have GD.
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • Options

I am in exactly the same position. Diagnosed with GD, controlled with diet, but still have a BIG baby. He was estimated at 9# 5oz at 38 weeks. So I am scheduled for a c/s the Monday. I was nervous at first because the baby was over 97% (which I never reallt had explained to me until WEEKS later).

Don't worry, it is better to get the c/s with the larger baby, not just because the shoulders would be difficult to get out, but there could be nerve complications. My Dr. even said in some cases theyt have to break the baby's shoulder bone to get them out. So when he told me he wanted to schedule a c/s for me I was actually relieved.

I am sure the amnio test is just your Dr's way of making sure the baby's lungs are fully developed.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DS measured at 5 lbs 13 oz at 32 weeks, 8 lbs at 36 weeks.  DS was 10 lbs, 22" at birth.  I knew at 39 weeks I would have him unless I went earlier on my own.  I opted for the c/s when I was at the hospital.  They did a final u/s and he was measuring just slightly over 10 lbs and they checked my cervix which was still long and closed.  I was not effacing or dilating.  The midwife told me point blank that she would suggest the c/s since I'm not showing any signs of labor and an induction could still end in a c/s a day or two later.  I do not have any regrets doing the c/s.  I would rather risk my life than DS's life.  His head was 15", there's no way it would have fit.  DS didn't have issues at all.  His blood sugar was great in the hospital.  BFing went wonderfully for 9 months when I weaned and he continued to feed off the freezer stash.  DS is very healthy and now on the small side for weight.  At 18 months he weighs 24 lbs and is 34.5" tall. 

I don't understand the amnio though....39 weeks is full-term.

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"