December 2011 Moms
Options

Who else painted?

Who painted/ help painted the nursery (or other parts of the house) while pregnant?

We started painting today and I think MH felt guilty because I was in there helping.  We bought a zero VOC paint so I could help but it still made him nervous.  I feel fine and the very slight smell didn't make me sick or give me a headache but MH's guilt must have rubbed off on me.  I need some validation :) 

Re: Who else painted?

• Options
    I had to help the IL paint the outside of there house and I fell off the ladder and decided I am never painting again especially while pregnant. Even being outside though the fumes made me really sick.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

While pg with DD, I painted the living room, kitchen, our bedroom, DD's room, the bathroom, and the ceilings in 2 of those rooms. I also scraped lead paint from the windows (with a mask on) and repainted all of the window frames/sills and doors. The joys of buying an old fixer-upper four months before baby is due.

The only painting this time may be a little in the girls' room, if I get to it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't yet but I am going to be putting a mural on the wall in the nursery, and I am going to paint below the chair rail in our dining room when we move back in.  I'm just going to make sure I get the no/low VOC paint and have lots of ventilation.  The painting will be minimal so it shouldn't be too bad.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I helped DH paint the nursery.  I painted all the mouldings, doors and windows and he did the ceiling and walls.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Together DH and I painted the nursery. We did buy a non VOC paint made by Yolo. As long as the room is well ventilated and you use a non VOC paint, you should be fine. I enjoyed painting little man's room!
    Nicole 32| Julian 29
    Cooper: 11/20/11
    Julian: EDD 8/1/16
    PCOS & Endo. w/ DOR

• Options
    I got the ok from my doctor to go ahead and paint the nursery.  He said I would need to be doing industrial grade type of work day in and day out for it to do any harm.  He said to keep the room ventilated and take a break if the fumes start getting to me.  I honestly think the most dangerous part is being up on a ladder if your balance is off.
    href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

• Options
    my doctor told me it was fine to paint as long as you use a low or non VOC paint (which is pretty much all paint unless its oil or latex based) I painted the entire room but MH did the trim because he didn't want me on a ladder. I had the room well ventilated too so that helped. 
  • Options
    We bought low VOC paint so I helped a little with the white painting. At home depot they said that it adds the fumes when they mix in lots of colors so my husband painted all the walls and aired out the room. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemasterhairstylist:
    I had to help the IL paint the outside of there house and I fell off the ladder and decided I am never painting again especially while pregnant. Even being outside though the fumes made me really sick.

Eek I wouldn't paint anymore either...I was helping H install some outdoor light fixtures earlier today and I had to stand on a chair to hand him some tools and that was bad enough!

Thanks ladies...I do feel better about it. We had the door open, window open, and fan on so it was very well ventilated.  H was the only one on the ladder-I don't like ladders even when I am not pregnant! 

• Options
    i have spent the last 3 days painting the nursery! trim, bottom half and top half. all coats are done and its drying overnight! i was great up until tonight... i was working on the ceiling and i started getting ill, i ran outside and threw up for about 5 mins. not sure if it was the fumes, or if i was just exhausted and dehydrated. after i got sick, i felt fine and finished painting. :)
  • Options

Everyone keeps telling me I'm fine to paint. We just moved to a new home and are doing some painting in different areas. The paint smell makes me so sick!

I'm going to try and paint the nursery next week. DH works a lot this time of year and it's driving me crazy it's not started yet. However, I'm afraid if it continues to make me sick I'll have to give this job to someone else.

I do have a few pieces of furniture to paint. Maybe getting them painted outside in the breeze will help...

• Options
    I helped paint our bedroom, bathroom and will help paint the nursery here in a week or so.  We just open the windows, it doesn't make me sick, and the odor is very low so I'm not too concerned.  I let MH do the staining of the trim, the stain has strong odor.  I definitely paid for it the next day after all the painting, my back was killing me! 
  • Options
    I painted the nursery, our kitchen, and our den during this pregnancy (including trim and ceilings).  I just took breaks and kept the windows open and a fan blowing.  We didn't even use no-VOC paint (it was low VOC).  Latex-based paint isn't really what you need to be concerned with (it's the oil-based stuff that poses more of a risk)
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    I helped DH paint my son's room. I asked my OB and he said it was fine. I just kept a window open and took a break for some fresh air every once and a while. I'll likely be helping with this ones room as well since I'm a control freak :)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I painted DD#1 room in our old house with the Low or No VOC paint. We had the windows open and i wore a mask anyway just to be safe. I also painted our whole house when we moved into in July of 09 when I was pregnant with DS. Again Low or No VOC paint with a mask on and open windows and a lot of help. But this time I won't be painting, not cause I'm worried about the fumes or anything. Our neighbor is a professional painter and he offered to paint the baby's room for us for FREE! LO is going to have the best room in the house! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersimage Photobucket
  • Options
    We painted my son's room and the new baby room with zero VOC paint.  It really didn't smell as bad as regular paint, and I felt fine afterwards except for just being kinda tired, but that's everyday now.
  • Options

We just bought our first house.  The living room and biggest room of the house was stark white and I declared it had to be the first thing to go.  DH painted a lot of it and I taped and painted around the doorways, windows, and trim.

However, I have painted Baby's room myself.  I am about to go put a second coat on the longest wall and call it good! Can't wait :)

• Options
    I have painted 4 rooms in my house in the last 2 weeks. I have gone paint crazy!
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options

I am asking DH to sand down my old dressers, but I have no problem painting them (unless he wants to...). I just plan on wearing a mask.

Hope he gets around to it soon, because it is starting to get chilly out there and he's already complaining about me having windows open! We're not painting the room itself, just two dressers, so I'm not too concerned about how I'll handle the paint.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"