Breastfeeding

EBF when did you start letting your LO sleep a long night stretch?

My LO is a week old today and my lactation consultant said since she has surpassed her birth weight now she can sleep for a five or six hour stretch at night as long as I am feeding every three hours during the day as well as two feedings that are two hours apart. Anyone else do this so early? I have been waking her at three to four hours at night to feed. Is it too soon to let her sleep?

Re: EBF when did you start letting your LO sleep a long night stretch?

• Once LO reaches her bithweight it's okay to let her sleep. I say enjoy the longer stretch of sleep when you can.

• imagemle929:
    Once LO reaches her bithweight it's okay to let her sleep. I say enjoy the longer stretch of sleep when you can.

Yes

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • He's 9 months old and I still don't let him....wait, no, I mixed that up....he doesn't let me!
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • I never woke LO up, but it was prob. 6 weeks before we consistently got long stretches out of her. I never woke her up though, just followed her lead, fed whenever she woke. If weight is following good line, and she seems well, that just may be how she is--she may be getting more milk during day hours than other babies who sleep less at night (my LO has been a really good nighttime sleeper, but has never really taken long naps, so took more frequent naps and nursed more frequently than some others, I think).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Around one week I stopped waking myself up. She has started to go 5 hours sometimes. She feeds like crazy in the evening. I don't pay attention to how often she is eating -- it probably works out to every 3 hours.
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • I never woke DD up during the night -- I was, and am, a strong believer in letting a sleeping baby sleep. When she was hungry, she let me know! She started STTN at about 2 weeks and I never worried about it. She still ate, and gained weight, consistently.

Do what makes you feel comfortable and your LO happy! You won't hurt her, I promise she will let you know when she is hungry during the night.

• We let her sleep long stretches after her two week appointment, when the pediatrician said it was okay (she'd regained her birth weight).
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"