Stay at Home Moms
Options

Moms taking online classes???

Good morning ladies,

My daughter in due in January and I would like to take a few online classes to complete my Psychology degree.  Are any of you moms taking online classes while caring for an infant??   How many classes would you advise me to take per semester??  Online classes are definitely more work so I would like to know what you ladies suggest or have experienced.

Thanks... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moms taking online classes???

• Options

honeslty- I wouldn't suggest taking classes for AT LEAST the first 3 months.

unless you have a ridiculous amount of support from family/DH

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

It's been so long since I've been in college, the workload isn't something that's fresh in my mind.  Were I you, I'd start with one class and see how that goes.  Then as you get used to things, you can add more as you see appropriate.

I probably would make sure that I was not in enrolled in anything when she is born and for the first month so if school is in session during that time, I'd skip that quarter. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageStacyc625:

honeslty- I wouldn't suggest taking classes for AT LEAST the first 3 months.

unless you have a ridiculous amount of support from family/DH

Meh, I disagree with this.  I think the support is definitely necessary, but if you have the determination to get it done, it shouldn't be a problem.  I take 6 credits each semester online as well as my 6+ on campus and have had no issue thus far.  This baby is due 2 weeks before finals, and I have that worked out with professors.  The baby will be 7 weeks old when the new semester starts and I really don't anticipate any huge issues other than the obvious sleep problems, but I initially went back to work when ds was 8 weeks old and school is less taxing than work was.

• Options

I am speaking from someone who has NO family help and a DH that works 12+hr days.

I took several online classes during the newborn phase- but it was JUST IMPOSSIBLE to get stuff done with a newborn and figuring parenting out in the beginning. I was up all night long writing papers and doing my posts online. It was NOT fun. I was up all day with a newborn- and up all night with grad school. After the first semester of realizing it just wasn't working- that EVERYTHING was suffering- me and school- I skipped the fall semester of online classes- and I went back to school FT at night/in the classroom - to finish my last 8 classes for my graduate law degree- when DD was 8 mo old- spring semester---- and THAT was hard enough but doable.

My schooling EXTREMELY reading and writing intensive- with very long research papers- (grad law school)

That is why I strictly posted the importance of having help.

• Options

I have worked as a college advisor- HUGE difference in workload from grad law school and undergrad psych - however, most reputable psychology degrees should require some kind of internship upon the completion of the program, so that is something to consider.

I would agree with the PP that recommended trying out part time with one or two classes. There are so many factors unique to you- how much family help, how well you function while sleep deprived, how quickly you read if it is a reading intensive course, how well you personally can re-focus after interruptions, etc.

I am in my last semester of grad school classes. I was in school part time and had two classes that ended a few days before I had Mackenzie. I did not take any classes again for five months- I am really glad I gave myself a break for the newborn phase.

• Options

Stacy, I guess I was simply disagreeing with the first part of your statement.  Like I said, the support from your dh is necessary.  If I didn't have a dh who would take over ds whenever I needed to get something done, it wouldn't be nearly as easy as it has been.  I would have lots more late nights than I ever have.

To the op, it's really impossible for anyone to say how many to take.  Starting part time is definitely a good option since you can add more the next semester if you felt you could handle it.  Everyone's situation is different.  The support from every family is different, the type of student they are is different, etc.  There's no magical number.

• Options

I dunno- I guess my feeling is if she is going to SAH -and will have time to do classes on line a little more leisurely (HAHAHA- right like schooling is leisure)- why rush it and just ADD extra pressure to becoming a parent for the first time, dealing with the sleep deprivation, feedings, etc. AND take classes.

For me there was a time constraint- I HAD to be done with my grad classes 2yrs from the start of my first class.

I guess I just look at it as why bother adding extra pressure on yourself- when you can slowly adjust to becoming a parent AND go back to school when you get a grip on your new life.

WHO KNOWS- what could happen the first couple of months- EVERYONE reacts to becoming a parent differently. Post partum depression- could occur. And then you are locked in to taking classes- or failing out/incompleting/or dropping them and you still have to pay for the class.

My thought is- if she is going to SAH- get used to having an outside baby and THEN jump in to online classes. I wouldn't advise taking classes AND doing the newborn stage (as a first time parent) IF there wasn't a major time constraint with finishing a degree or whatnot.

It's ok that you disagree Every- I see what you are saying.

• Options

My kids are older (4 & 7) but I wouldn't take a class the same semester you have a baby.  I only take one class at a time but my husband travels for work and I don't have anyone to babysit for me if I need to study, so that could make a difference.  I still would probably start with only one class during the summer or fall term.  If that goes well, then add more.

I thought online classes (through community college) would be easy breezy but I was way wrong.  These classes take a lot of time and are a lot more difficult than my face-to-face classes I took in the past.

• Options

Am I the only one who feels like this NB thing is a BREEZE?  I mean, he eats, poops, plays for an hour and then sleeps for 3 hours.  This goes on round the clock minus the playtime during the night.

If you have enough support from DH, going to school PT at the beginning should be fine.  But, since you're committing to school, you should be very aware of your body and your mental state.  PPD could rear its ugly head, and it would be even more imperative that you get help for that immediately.  

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all for your advise.. 
  • Options
    Don't get discouraged. I'm going to be doing the same thing. I don't have my baby yet, but I know plenty of mothers that have been able to raise MULTIPLE children and be successful at schooling. If you have a good work ethic and the drive to do it, go for it. For your first online semester, I would probably only take a couple of classes just to get used to scheduling and the online interface. But don't hold back. Good luck!
  • Options

I ended up taking a summer and semester off of school and now my DS is 10 months and I am taking online courses also for psychology. I am taking two courses this first time and I think that I will stick to around that number of classes each time. Def. no more than 3 just because i feel guilty being on the computer during the day, so I wait until DH is home and then do my classwork into the late night hours/early morning hours. GL

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagematzke227:

I ended up taking a summer and semester off of school and now my DS is 10 months and I am taking online courses also for psychology. I am taking two courses this first time and I think that I will stick to around that number of classes each time. Def. no more than 3 just because i feel guilty being on the computer during the day, so I wait until DH is home and then do my classwork into the late night hours/early morning hours. GL

Thanks. 

I was thinking of doing a max of 3 myself in time but 1 easier class next semester while she is still a newborn. 

• Options

imagemrswhiskey:
    Don't get discouraged. I'm going to be doing the same thing. I don't have my baby yet, but I know plenty of mothers that have been able to raise MULTIPLE children and be successful at schooling. If you have a good work ethic and the drive to do it, go for it. For your first online semester, I would probably only take a couple of classes just to get used to scheduling and the online interface. But don't hold back. Good luck!

Thanks.

I think once I get back into the swing of things I should be fine.  I am DETERMINED to finish.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"