Cloth Diapering
Options

Is it possible to just use AIO's?

The various types of diapers overwhelm me, and to have DH change diapers, I think AIO's are going to be easiest. I have heard that many AIO's are big on newborns...so for those that have done this with a newborn, is it possible to just use one type of diaper?
b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

Re: Is it possible to just use AIO's?

• Options

I think it is doable with the following caveats:

drying time means you either need to wash more often, use the dryer and wear them out faster or buy a large/expensive stash

overnight - once the baby can go longer periods of time overnight, many AIOs won't have enough absorbency

Maybe do 2 types of diapers - 1/2 AIOs and 1/2 pockets or fitteds or prefolds.  Even though they run a little more, I think AppleCheeks rock, since you get the benefit of most systems with only having to stuff like a pocket and not unstuff.  You might just want to buy 1 first though to make sure your washer agitates them out.  Mine does but others say it doesn't. 

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

• Options
    It is doable, but if I were to pick just one type of diaper, I would do a pocket, not a AIO. Pockets dry faster, and since the inserts are removable, you can strip them without doing the PUL if need be. Also, you have the flexibility to add or remove insert absorbancy and material if you start having problems along the way. Prestuffing pockets after washing makes them just as easy as AIO diapers for using.
    TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Maybe get mostly AIOs for when s/he is bigger, but also get a trial package to see if you like something else?

For newborns, I found the easiest thing was a prefold folded in a cover and fitteds at night. 

• Options

imagedulcinea03:
    It is doable, but if I were to pick just one type of diaper, I would do a pocket, not a AIO. Pockets dry faster, and since the inserts are removable, you can strip them without doing the PUL if need be. Also, you have the flexibility to add or remove insert absorbancy and material if you start having problems along the way. Prestuffing pockets after washing makes them just as easy as AIO diapers for using.

Exactly.  Since I wash and stuff all the pockets, they may as well be AIOs to my husband.  I like being able to add extra or change out the microfiber for natural fabrics.

It took 5 failed IUIs and a failed IVF, but our FET worked!
    My pregnancy after Infertility Blog
    Our baby girl was born on April 27, 2011!
  • Options

I use nearly entirely pockets now, for the reasons pp listed: dry faster, more adjustable absorbency, wash cleaner

For the newborn phase, we used green mountain diapers infant fitteds and covers, mostly because I found a bunch cheap used. Prefolds are also an okay idea for newborn. You need a LOT of newborn diapers because they poop so very often.

• Options
    Ok well I am dumb, then, becuase I was thinking AIO's were brands like bumgenuis and fuzzibuns...but some websites call them pockets. So it sounds like those brands would be considered a pocket?
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options

imagejb2rn:
    Ok well I am dumb, then, becuase I was thinking AIO's were brands like bumgenuis and fuzzibuns...but some websites call them pockets. So it sounds like those brands would be considered a pocket?

I promise you're not dumb. There are so many options, it's hard to figure out!

Fuzzibuns are pockets. Bumgenius has made both, but I think most of them are pockets. A true AIO has the whole thing sewn together, which makes it easy to use but harder to get clean and get dry.

• Options
    I'd also recommend looking into SoftBums.  They are a one-size hybrid, the insert snaps onto the cover, so you can re-use the cover once or twice (as long as there's no poo on it), and they are aplix, which the DH and I both love.  I love them, and they are very easy to adjust, they even fit a newborn (I started using them when LO was about 7 lbs).  They also have a new cover called the Omni that has the snap for the insert, but also has a pocket and can fit a prefold (which is what I've been using at night).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I use AIO's and AI2's exclusively, and I haven't had a problem. Some of the AIO's (like the sized BG AIO--which are now discontinued but sometimes still pop up on cottonbabies) also have a pocket to add additional absorbancy. I love AIO's and can't imagine using anything else.
  • Options
    I'd recommend you try several different types before committing to any one kind. I thought I'd love AIOs but I ended up liking prefolds and pockets best (I love our pockets for everyday use for the reasons described above). I tried several different things during the NB phase and bought my OS stash after seeing what I liked and didn't like.
  • Options
    I have a large stash - 36+ diapers, and am buying another 28 when my daughter is born.  I use exclusively BG Elementals during the day (AIOs), and then pockets at night for absorbancy. 

IMO, I hate stuffing pockets.  I have better things to do, and I don't like how bulky they are for during the day.  The AIOs were pricier, but they've held up SO much better than the pockets - still look brand new, and we've been using them for 18+ months.  I plan on buying 24ish AIOs soon, and maybe another three pockets for when she can STTN.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"