1st Trimester

Joining you ladies! Couple questions...

Introducing myself! Congrats to everyone! Just got a faint but definite positive tonight after having a "feeling" that I was pregnant all week despite 2 BFN's in the past 5 days!!  I'm going to test again in the AM with more concentrated urine - hoping for the BFP!  Still in shock and a little scared since it is so early.

I'm very new to the idea and experience of pregnancy. I am the first one out of my friends and my generation of family to be pregnant - not sure what to expect!

I'm calling my OBGYN tomorrow morning to set up an appointment. But for now, a couple questions I'm hoping you ladies can help me with!

*What prenatal did your doc recommend? I've been taking one-a-day prenatal +DHA leading up to the pregnancy but I've read a lot about synthetic vs. whole-food/natural vitamins, script vs. over-the-counter, etc - I'm overwhelmed!

*Any good baby books I should get my hands on? I know most info I'll ever need is online but like I said, this is all so new so a good book wouldn't hurt!

Look forward to hopefully getting to know all of you who are in the same boat! =)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Joining you ladies! Couple questions...

• My husband and I have been reading a book called "Fathers Milk" to each other. its really good. Its less about pregnancy, more about dealing with issues once you actually HAVE the baby. Its written by a doctor with...4 kids I think. We both really like it. 

I'm not pregnant yet, so as far as pregnancy books, I can't help you based on experience, but I've heard the girlfriends guide to pregnancy is good.

Be sure to check out LIBRARIES! baby books can be so expensive!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Vitamins: I take 2 flintstone complete chewables (must be complete, and must take 2 to get enought folic).

Books: check with your insurance co first, a lot have some sort of pregnancy program (free) and if you sign up you get a book. I got what to expect when you're expecting, through my friends ins, she got the mayo clinic pregnancy book.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats!

I am also taking the One A Day. My doc said I can take anything as long as it has enough folic acid.

My favorite book is Your Pregnancy: Week by Week. Unfortunately, I loaned it to someone and can't remember who...so now I don't have it. :(

Julie... Mommy to a beautiful baby girl & 2 handsome boys!! image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • With my last pregnancy I took Prenate with DHA but that is no longer available.  I have samples from my OB of a couple different kinds of vitamins to see which ones I like best.  I would suggest this b/c your body may react differently to certain vitamins so before you buy a whole bottle, try them out. 

Books - last time I probably bought every book imaginable.   My favorite was the pregnancy week-by-week one.  All books I basically skimmed to chapters I was more interested in/experiencing at the time.  Honestly I learned more from the bump and my childbirth class than any book.  I just bought some breastfeeding books off diapers.com b/c I had a lot of issues breastfeeding last time.  Again, the breastfeeding board on the bump is awesome for help to if you are going that route. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I take Nature Made Prenatal + DHA and my ob said it's great. 

Obviously "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is a popular read. And as an anxious person, my biggest piece of advice is to not Google yourself to death. I had some brown blood clots a few weeks ago, freaked out and was totally hysterical, went to the ER, ultrasound showed an empty sac at 6 weeks and I spent the next 3 days googleing everything that could possibly go wrong with a pregnancy. I drove myself crazy!

A week later we heard 2 healthy heartbeats and found out my twins were making room! lol.

so, if you have a question, look in a book, or on here, try to avoid the general internet for information....it's scary.

Married 07/2011 <3
    ID Twin girls 04/2012 <3<3
    Baby #3 Due Jan. 2017  <3

• Thank you all so much!! I appreciate the advice :)   I'm glad (Mars) you pointed out the google thing, because I have already been driving myself kind of crazy googling things as soon as I felt like I might be pregnant and it seems there are such a wide variety of opinions out there, it can be really scary..

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Take deep breaths Big Smile   Congrats! H&H 9mos!

I have taken Spring Valley Prenatals since pre-conception for my pregnancies.

While I've read several books during my prenancy with DD, What To Expect When Your Expecting has been the most helpful for information (I highlighted everything I thought important with DD so now I have easier access this time) although if you want something more casual Belly Laughs is hilarious. I agree with PP, try the library first so you can read several books before deciding which one(s) to buy.

Missed m/c 2/29/08; D&C 3/5/08

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"