Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

A chance to judge each other- Clicky!

Speaking of processed foods. What's your attitude? Does your child have a pristine stomach that has only consumed pure, whole organic fruits and veggies? Or, have you already poisoned your kid with french fries and hot dogs? [Poll]
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: A chance to judge each other- Clicky!

• Options
    If you vote SS you have to tell us why!
  • Options
    I try to give A a balanced diet but there are days when all he wants is fruit and veggie pirate's booty.  Last night we went out for BBQ and he had chicken tenders, baked beans and garlic mashed potatoes.  Not really balanced but our theory is that we will/are teaching him moderation.  For his 1st birthday cake, he is getting carrot cake at his party.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagekmfrey:
    I try to give A a balanced diet but there are days when all he wants is fruit and veggie pirate's booty.  Last night we went out for BBQ and he had chicken tenders, baked beans and garlic mashed potatoes.  Not really balanced but our theory is that we will/are teaching him moderation.  For his 1st birthday cake, he is getting carrot cake at his party.

Oh, thank you for reminding me! I totes should have voted "every day" because Morgan LOOOOVES Pirate's booty. It's a staple in her diet. And mine. That shiit's addicting!

• Options

Crackers are processed? 

And what is pirate's booty? 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagewrite2nicole:

Crackers are processed? 

This. I have never heard of that before.

• Options
    imagewrite2nicole:

Crackers are processed? 

Only if you buy the crackers that are in a box. If you pick them directly from the tree they aren't processed.

Pirate's Booty is the most delicious snack in the world. It's like crack in a bag. It's basically puffed corn with some other ingredients in it. We buy the veggie booty because it has veggie type dusting on the puffed corn.

• Options
    imagesodelish:

Pirate's Booty is the most delicious snack in the world. It's like crack in a bag. It's basically puffed corn with some other ingredients in it. We buy the veggie booty because it has veggie type dusting on the puffed corn.

Pirate's Booty is the bomb.  A loves the veggie one but I love the white cheddar version.  A doesn't care for the white cheddar ones so more for me.  You can easily finish off a bag without realizing it.  I figure they are healthier since they are in the natural food section in the grocery store. ;)

• Options
    imagesodelish:
    imagewrite2nicole:

Crackers are processed? 

Only if you buy the crackers that are in a box. If you pick them directly from the tree they aren't processed.

So, where would one be able to purchase this pirate's booty should they want to buy some?

Our first baby girl, Lucia Joy, joined us on April 1, 2010!
  • Options
    imagesodelish:
    imagewrite2nicole:

Crackers are processed? 

:dead: ily delish!

Ryan gets processed food on the daily, yo. Call CPS on my ass!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageeitaknna9:

So, where would one be able to purchase this pirate's booty should they want to buy some?

They are usually in the natural foods section of your grocery store but if you don't find them check the chip aisle.

• Options
    There isn't much in my house that isn't processed.. aside from the handful of fresh fruits and frozen veggies that I almost always have on hand. I'm trying to make small changes and buy less processed items, but it's a learning process and I find that, with this, I'm a bit of a slow learner. However, I'm not concerned that my daughter is going to be obese because she eats processed foods. Most of the items that I feed her are healthy and she definitely eats better than we do, 90% of the time. She has items like natural applesauce, bananas, whole fat yogurt, etc. every day... of course, she also has crackers, a cookie, etc. every day or every other day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJKat876:
    imagesodelish:
    imagewrite2nicole:

Crackers are processed? 

MWAH!

I need to call CPS on myself, too, so I'll just tell them to stop by your place afterward. They can have the kids for a few hours and feed them nutritious, non processed foods and the two of us can meet up and have a couple beers. Don't let your pregliness stop you!

• Options

I feed mine whatever they will eat.

My tween is so skinny she will blow away in a wind storm. The baby is heading in the same direction so I don't worry about them being fat like me, heh.

I try to feed them healthy food and am pretty successful. But I am not an organic snob especially after I got some organic broccoli, cleaned it, steamed it and the bugs on it were still alive. Of course we didn't see them until we were almost done, yay for eating bugs. However, that was the last time I bought organic broccoli.

• Options
    imagesodelish:
    imageJKat876:
    imagesodelish:
    imagewrite2nicole:

Crackers are processed? 

MWAH!

I need to call CPS on myself, too, so I'll just tell them to stop by your place afterward. They can have the kids for a few hours and feed them nutritious, non processed foods and the two of us can meet up and have a couple beers. Don't let your pregliness stop you!

mmmm beers sound awesome!
  • Options

Honestly part of what we consume for a regular meal is processed, and if Soph's interested we let her try it for the most part. Processed things she's had so far: Nilla Wafers, tortillas, all beef corn dogs/hot dogs, french fries, chicken nuggets, meatballs, and low fat yogurt (before you flame - the child outright refuses whole fat yogurt).

What I do buy fresh she'll eat some of, but not everything. I can't get her to eat bananas, but she loves gnawing apples and pears. Funnily enough she tries to eat my salads whenever she sees me eating one. I'm not concerned about her being obese because DH and I were raised on a mix of processed and fresh foods and neither of us has had weight issues.

• Options
    I think most children eat whatever their parents keep in the house. I don't particularly care what other people feed their children, but I do find it odd when IRL friends who keep pantries full of diet Coke and processed snack foods try to tell their kids they can only have fruit and veggies all day. Maybe that will work up until a certain age, but a) I think it's helpful to teach them moderation from a young age and b) what's the point of enforcing healthy choices when you don't make them yourself? Your kids are just going to realize you're a hypocrite one day.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJake's Mom:

I feed mine whatever they will eat.

My tween is so skinny she will blow away in a wind storm. The baby is heading in the same direction so I don't worry about them being fat like me, heh.

I try to feed them healthy food and am pretty successful. But I am not an organic snob especially after I got some organic broccoli, cleaned it, steamed it and the bugs on it were still alive. Of course we didn't see them until we were almost done, yay for eating bugs. However, that was the last time I bought organic broccoli.

Ew. Where the eff did you buy your organic produce? I never have any issues. I am not all up in arms about the organic thing when it comes to fruits and veggies. If it's in season and it won't break the bank then I'll buy organic. I'm typically just an organic snob with milk, dairy products, eggs, and sometimes chicken (if I feel like amputating an arm to buy organic chicken lol). This is mostly due to the hormones and stuff they stick in those items. It weirds me out.

However, to the poll. I chose every now and then. Sometimes I get mega lazy and will do frozen chicken nuggets, uncrustables, mac n cheese, and gasp! I sometimes give hr some of my fries and ice cream! However, I love to cook so I usually make her food. It's more of a hobby to me than just making sure she has a balanced diet. However, some crap in moderation is ok. I also let my FI give her a gummy bear dialy as a treat. Except the clear ones. Those are mine. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We're lucky if DS eats anything at all other than formula, whether it be Cheerios or Rice Chex or Gerber Graduates Finger Foods. We're just happy when he eats. I guess we'll be grinning like idiots when the CPS breaks down our door while DS is munching on Cheerios.
    "To me, you are perfect."

• Options
    Hot dogs and french fries for sure, but the kid loves fruit too.  So it's not all bad here.
  • Options

I also forgot that Morgan drank formula for the first year of her life.

Oh, and I just read that a lot of milk is processed as well. And, yogurt.

I think we all probably eat some processed food every day whether we want to or not.

• Options
    imageheckysue:

imageanna7602:
    I think most children eat whatever their parents keep in the house. I don't particularly care what other people feed their children, but I do find it odd when IRL friends who keep pantries full of diet Coke and processed snack foods try to tell their kids they can only have fruit and veggies all day. Maybe that will work up until a certain age, but a) I think it's helpful to teach them moderation from a young age and b) what's the point of enforcing healthy choices when you don't make them yourself? Your kids are just going to realize you're a hypocrite one day.
    I guess I don't know many people like this.  I would agree with you, but most of the people I know who are serving their kids a healthy variety of mostly un-processed foods do so because it's a priority for them to eat that way AND feed their kids that way.

Thankfully, I don't know more than 2 people who are like this, but they are both weirdly vocal about what everyone else should be feeding their children and I'm over it. I think they have a lot of issues in general with food and weight and body image and I keep trying to remember that when they say snarky things upon seeing my kid drinking chocolate milk at the farmer's market. How can one possibly drink 3 diet Cokes a day and think an occasional bottle of ORGANIC chocolate milk is a big deal to give a kid?

• Options

imagefredalina:
    Froot Loops or Lucky Charms!

Mmmmm. I'm a pretty healthy eater, but sugary kids' cereals are my weak point. I took one for the team giving them up when DD was born because I know how much cr*p is in them, including the corn syrup, and there are plenty of better options out there for her to keep in the house. But the thought of Cinnamon Toast Crunch makes my mouth water...

• Options

DD's vegetarian (like moi) so no chicken nuggets here, BUT I'm a big fan of moderation when it comes to treats. I want her to have a good and healthy attitude to food so I will not begrudge her a cookie, etc, once and a while. Moderation!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

DS struggles with eating.  He is delayed so he struggles with mechanisms of eating.  So he eats jarred baby food, technically processed. Also he developed a feeding aversion from being so sick this past winter.  How did we break it?  By offering lots of ice cream.  It's the only thing he would take off a spoon.  It then led to us introducing pears and now we're up to about 6-8 different types of food he will eat.

He also is allowed to taste everything.  Bananas, watermelon, tortilla chips, potato chips, pickles, chicken nuggets, butter, whipped cream, refried beans.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options
    My house is a very balanced mix of organic foods and pizza hut.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Options
    I voted for SS.  For the most part Carter is eating healthy balanced meals.  I always cook healthy foods.  Everything is grilled or baked all grains are whole and veggies are served w/ every single dinner and he eats fruit every day.  However, the occaisional cookie, ice cream, french fry, etc... is not going to hurt him.  Everything in moderation is okay.  You just need to make sure the majority of the diet is a good one.  I am one who doesn't obsess w/ organic stuff though.  My DH and I don't even worry with organic.  Carter gets regular veggies/fruit and whole cows milk and drinks water right out of the tap. 
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options
    S loves her Teddy Grahams, but luckily we have a Teddy Graham Tree in the back yard, so she only gets the all natural kind.
  • Options

He's had puffs, YoBaby yogurt, and baby oatmeal.  He's tried a tiny bite of my Nutri-grain bar. 

So far as I know, he hasn't had any crackers or cookies.  We bought plain Cheerios for him to try.  He mainly eats the pouches of baby food, but has also tried broccoli, banana, avocado, and mashed potato.

Om nom nom
  • Options
    imageJKat876:
    imagesodelish:
    imagewrite2nicole:

Crackers are processed? 

Lainey too, we can hang out at CPS jail together.

• Options
    We stuck to all natural/organic foods until he was a year.  Then the picky toddler came and now we will take what we can get!  Sometimes it's organic strawberries/blueberries.  Sometimes it's french fries.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I feel like I should start by saying that I do not judge what other people feed their kids. There are a million ways to parent well, and who am I to know?

Anyway. The only processed foods in our house are milk (still organic), Greek Yogurt, and DS's string cheese. 

DH and I eat Paleo, which by definition, means avoiding all processed fruit. We only eat meat, fruit, and veggies. No grains or legumes. 

DS eats bread, but DH bakes it for him.

ETA: I voted "never".

And also, DH and I do have "treats" every Friday and Saturday night, which usually consists of some really good dark chocolate from the artisan shop down the street. I sound like a snob, don't I? I'm really not, I swear.

• Options
    They are huge fans of the double cheeseburgers from McDonald's. Mcdonalds was their first word.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I voted daily.   This am I took the kids for donuts : ) And I am sure that qualifies me for MOTY at least in their book!! 

I do buy some organics but generally only milk, eggs, chicken and a few others IF its on sale.  I do use fresh or frozen veggies a lot.  Organic foods are not as prominent where I live.  Its not a big city nor is it a very wealthy city.  No whole foods, TJs, etc...

Don't have time to make my own bread, pasta etc...we are a 2 parent working family.  We are busy my kids do extracurricular activities- 2x weekly...making dinner much harder.  

We do the best we can for our family and its includes processed and non organic foods and I am okay with that.  

Oh, and some of the girls are having heart attacks on parenting over GROUP snacks in preschool and KG and the types other people eat...know that their will come a day where you don't have as much control.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My kid would LIVE on animal crackers if I would let him.?
  • Options
    imageLoisLane23:
    imageSugarnear:

I feel like I should start by saying that I do not judge what other people feed their kids. There are a million ways to parent well, and who am I to know?

Anyway. The only processed foods in our house are milk (still organic), Greek Yogurt, and DS's string cheese. 

DH and I eat Paleo, which by definition, means avoiding all processed fruit. We only eat meat, fruit, and veggies. No grains or legumes. 

And also, DH and I do have "treats" every Friday and Saturday night, which usually consists of some really good dark chocolate from the artisan shop down the street. I sound like a snob, don't I? I'm really not, I swear.

Wouldn't meat be considered processed?

This is going to make me sound even worse. We buy all of our meat, chicken, and eggs from a local sustainable farm. It's all organic, grass fed, and butchered there. So, no.

• Options
    imagekmfrey:
    imageeitaknna9:

They are usually in the natural foods section of your grocery store but if you don't find them check the chip aisle.

Thanks!

Our first baby girl, Lucia Joy, joined us on April 1, 2010!
  • Options
    imageSugarnear:
    imageLoisLane23:
    imageSugarnear:

Wouldn't meat be considered processed?

This is going to make me sound even worse. We buy all of our meat, chicken, and eggs from a local sustainable farm. It's all organic, grass fed, and butchered there. So, no.

It's great that you have those resources. I love our farm fresh eggs from a local farm, and when we can afford it we do buy half of a cow and pig from a local farm. Sometimes that just isn't an option.

Also, you don't sound horrible unless you are being judgy. You just answered the question, no harm done.

Married: 06/2008 -- TTC#1: 10/2008 - 9/2009 - MC Cycle 4: 6wks - BFP 9/10/2009 - DD: 05/2010 
    TFAS: 09/2011 job changes so we stopped 12/2011 -- TFAS again: 10/3/2014 - IUD Removal
    BFP 12/19/2014 - EDD 8/27/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"