Success after IF

Another Gem from my MIL

So most of you know I am Jewish DH is Catholic but non practicing..We did have a rabbi and a priest at our wedding but I am the more religious one. Even before we got married we both agreed that we would be raising J Jewish..This was NEVER a major issue for either of families even my semi/religious overbearing MIL.

.But as soon as we had J she kind of flipped out about it. She didn't get why we didn't have baby showers( we ended up having one), flipped out about coming to temple for J's baby naming cermoney, ect..She does/did finally accept all these things..for her the issue are more about CONTROL which she has has a major problem with letting go of...

She is also super big about sending greeting/holiday cards for every little holiday. But the key with these card is that sends the cards but you then HAVE to call her immediatly and thank her for the cards..if you don't she asks about it a million times till she gets the acknowlegment..its so weird..

Anyway, yesterday I get a card in the mail and it's only addressed to Jake and I NO DH mentioned anywhere; Wishing us a happy New Year. She also sent a text yesterday with the same mesageo again no DH. , I called DH kind of pissed off because what she is really saying with that card that I don't support your decision on how you rais your kid, and DH in't really part of your family he is still my child and I call the shots..WHO DOES this? The passive agressive attituted is just out of control...I also didn't respond yesterday to her text on purpose..

DH said I was reading way to much into it. I think though that for St. Patty's day I am only going to send a card to her my SIL"s and leave my FIL off it cause he is Italian and doesn't celebrate..Stick out tongue

Re: Another Gem from my MIL

• Thats sounds like something my MIL would pull.  She absolutley hates when she is not in control.  My SIL and BIL live her with their 3 kids, yes I said 3 kids and my MIL plans every birthday party, controls every aspect of what the kids do etc. 

When we do something for DS like his most recent Birthday Party and send her an invite she starts talking about how she might have something small at her house for him as well.  We politely tell her no we are the parents and the party is at our house. 

She does the same with my other BIL and SIL and their DD.  She is trying to plan a birthday party for their little girl next month and wont take no for an answer. 

Good Luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ugh I'm sorry. That is so obnoxious >:(
  • Loading the player...
  • honestly, it doesn't sound weird to me...my mom only sends St. Patty's days cards to my adopted brother, my DH and my son because they are the only people of Irish descent...  Maybe she honestly didn't mean anything by it?  Your DH hasn't converted, has he? 
  • imageMouseygail:
    Maybe she honestly didn't mean anything by it?  Your DH hasn't converted, has he? 
    This.  I'm your DH is this scenario and as I never converted, i would never take offense to them sending HIM a New Years card but not me.

And even if there is hidden intent behind it, it's SO not a hill to die on.  It's a card! 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I'm with East Coast.

I have to assume there is more to this story, because if my spouse called me to complain that he got a text from my mother, and a card, and it didn't mention me, I'd be pissed at him for being way over dramatic.

I'd let it go, leave your husband out of it, and respond to her text message with a thank you, lest you be equally passive aggressive in your lack of response.

It sounds like your MIL really has issues, but I just don't think this is a horrible offense worth wasting more than 30 seconds thought on.

• I'm lazy and address all cards to the whole family, but I think that if my brother were in your DH's situation and didn't convert, I wouldn't think to address a card to him.  I also might send a Christmas card to my brother and a Hanukkah card to his hypothetical wife/child.  To his family members, he is still non-practicing Catholic, so maybe it is weird to them to send a Rosh Hashanah card to someone who is not Jewish.  If he has converted, that would be a different story.  If she sent a card to you and not to your LO, that would also be a different story.  

Unless there is more to this story, I would focus on appreciating the card and the thought behind it and that she included your LO (and didn't ignore the fact that he is Jewish).   

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Honestly I think that is nice that she ackowledged the holiday and if she has issues with your son being raised Jewish then I don't think she would have addressed a Jewish holiday card to him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"