October 2011 Moms

nail clippers

did you buy nail clippers? if yes, did you buy the fancy kind that looks like a ball? or just the regular ones that are much smaller than the ones you use for yourself?

do you plan to cut the nails, file the nails, or bite them yourself (I have read this and my Mom told me to bite the baby's nails) 

Re: nail clippers

• I have this pair: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3721548&fromRegistryNumber=46761408&product_skn=499598 .  A tip: whatever you do, do it while they are sleeping, preferably after a bath when the nails are softer and they won't fight it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got clippers that have a little magnifying glass attached. I plan on filing for the first few months though. Do people really bite baby's nails?
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelisamonkee11:
    I got clippers that have a little magnifying glass attached. I plan on filing for the first few months though. Do people really bite baby's nails?

Yes. This was suggested to me by my hospital and my ped. Baby's nails are so thin, they pretty much just tear right off.

• imagelisamonkee11:
    Do people really bite baby's nails?
    We were told this is really bad outdated advice. There's apparently more risk of injury to baby using teeth. If you don't want to use clippers, we were told to file instead. We got the baby nail clipper made by the American Red Cross.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageblu-eyedwife:
    imagelisamonkee11:
    Do people really bite baby's nails?
    We were told this is really bad outdated advice. There's apparently more risk of injury to baby using teeth. If you don't want to use clippers, we were told to file instead. We got the baby nail clipper made by the American Red Cross.

LOL!!! So now instead of clipping their fingertips off, there is a scare you could bite them off? This is hilarious.

Listen, people have done this since forever. Just like I promise your grand or great grand used to blow in their babies mouth to make the snot come out of their noses (before the bulb aspirator), moms have bit the nails off of their lo's. There haven't always been devices marketed towards parents specifically for the shortest time of their childrens lives (newborns/infants). I promise, if you were about to bite off the tip of your babys finger, or bit too much nail, you would feel it. Your mouth has way more nerve endings than the end of a metal set of clippers.

BFP 11/2/10! First Dr's appt 11/30/10, shows Blighted Ovum measuring~ 5.9w @ 7w5d Natural Miscarraige 12/10/10 TTA unitl Feb, waiting BARE minimum before hopping back in the saddle So ready to try again, but I will never forget my first baby. BFP#2 02/06/11!!!! *stick baby, stick!* Team Green turn Team PINK 10/09/11 BFP #3 02/23/13...SURPRISE! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm fairly certain the risk of injury is to the nail bed/cuticle. Not biting off fingertips. Given there's a bone in there and all.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Biting them is supposed to be lucky! Love old wives tales
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We'll be filing the baby's nails for months and will switch to baby nail clippers at some point.  With DD #1 I spent a good 2 minutes getting the nail clippers just right and as soon as I went to cut she moved her leg, the clippers cut her toe and drew blood.  I learned my lesson...nail files take longer but don't turn the baby's face purple with rage...no clippers for DD#2 until she's old enough to keep still when asked.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We got the Safety 1st nail set (from Target). It is nail clippers and comes with files that slide right into the big end of the nail clippers so you can hold onto the big end of the nail clippers for better grip while filing. My friend told me that it was so much easier to file when her son was first born and she loved this nail clipper set so we ended up registering for it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"