Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Did anyone develop allergies after having their LO?

I never had seasonal allergies.  Since the winter ended, off and on I haven't been feeling great.  I finally went to the doctor and she said I had fluid behind my ears and some congestion in my throat.  She said I probably have allergies!  I told  her I never did and she said they could develop at any time and often do after having a baby.

She put me on Claritin once a day until the first frost.  I feel like it's helping a little, but definitely not 100%.

Anyone else?  If so, what works for you?

Thanks ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Did anyone develop allergies after having their LO?

• Options
    no that's never happened to me before, but I have heard of it happening to other women.  My husband uses Claritin for his allergies too I think.  He says nothing else works for him.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

No, the opposite happened to me.  I used to have really bad allergies and took an allergy shot once a week.  After I had DD, I did have any allergy issues so I quit getting my shot to see if I would have any allergy issues without it and I have NO allergy issues so far anyway!  Having a child really does wacky things to a womans body!!! 

Another thing I have noticed that has changed since having DD is my bowel movements.  TMI I know, but I used to have a really easy time going #2 and now it takes a lot longer.  WIERD!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My allergies actually improved, but a friend of mine gained 2 allergies per pregnancy. Its very possible. I had a discussion with my allergist about it, and he told me to just keep an eye on them and don't be surprised if they worsen, improve or stay exactly the same. Funny enough, he said the same about my asthma. I obviously still have it, but for some reason since having DS its been much more under control.
    Photobucket
    Nursed without dairy, egg, soy, peanut, treenut, fish, shellfish or beef for over a year.
    Currently tandem nursing dairy, egg, and shellfish free.
    DS born via emergency c/s after 20 hrs of labor. DD successful VBAC!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Learning Liam
  • Options

My allergies have drastically improved since pregnancy. I rarely have issues, and when I do they aren't as severe and don't last as long.

Before pregnancy, I took Claritin every day. I also had two prescription nose sprays -- Astelin and a steroid one. I used the Astelin twice a day, and the steroid one when it got really bad. Even then, I often had a persistent cough that only went away when I left town overnight.

My doctor also suggested (when Claritin alone didn't work) that I try switching to Zyrtec. Sometimes one works better than the other, so you can try that before adding other meds.

Oh, and the prescription nose sprays are allergy-related and non-addictive -- not like Afrin. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I didn't develop sesonal allergies but I did become allergic to pain medication after I quit BFing when she was 6mos.

I still can only take Tylenol. If I try any other pain meds (Advil, Midol, etc...) then I have almost flu like symptoms for 5 or more HOURS after taking them.

Missed m/c 2/29/08; D&C 3/5/08

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"