Secondary IF
Options

I may have phantom hcg syndrome

I had an ultrasound and another blood beta hcg test today to try to figure out why my hcg levels are going up.  Overall it was fairly good news.  The ultrasound looked completely normal.  Ovaries looked good, had several follicles (he didn't measure any).  My uterus and lining looked very good.  The lining was good thickness and there was no evidence of retained tissue.  The blood flow to the lining was normal, which also is a good sign that there isn't any abnormal tissue in there.

The results of the blood test were basically the same--the level was 26 today vs 27 two days ago.  Apparently they ran the blood test several times with different dilutions to see if there was some lab discrepancy or fluctuation and the result was always the same.

So, it's not a new pregnancy (sad, but given that I'm on CD 16 or so I didn't really think I was pregnant), the doctor did mention the possibility of a mole, but he thought it was very unlikely given the u/s results.  He thinks that I may have something called phantom hcg syndrome, which means there may be something in my blood that is reacting with the assay used to do the beta hcg blood test.  This gives a low level false positive.  However, the urine hcg should be negative with phantom hcg syndrome.  So, next week I am going to repeat the blood test and also do a specialized urine test, something that's more complex than just a basic home pregnancy test.

Incidentally I did POAS just now and it looks negative.  There might be a very very very faint line but I think it's really an evaporation line.  I'll try it again in the morning so it won't be as diluted.

I did some lit searches of phantom hcg and read some cases of women who had it and ended up getting chemotherapy and in one case even a hysterectomy because it was thought that they had had molar pregnancies that led to gestational trophoblastic disease!  I'm really glad that my doctor knew to check for the phantom hcg first! 

So hopefully I will have some final answers next week.  Although if I do have phantom hcg I'm not sure what this will mean for starting to TTC again since the plan was to wait until the hcg dropped to zero.  I'm still holding out hope that I'll just be able to get pregnant naturally soon! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I may have phantom hcg syndrome

• Options
    I'm glad you finally have an answer. I am interested to hear more as it progresses!
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options
    Wow, that is so interesting. {Even though it's still not what you wanted to hear}. It's great to have an 'answer' though and it sounds like your RE is being very proactive. I would feel much better with tentative diagnosis than nothing at all! Here's hoping it zeros out soon so you can TTC naturally. How about a BFP for Thanksgiving/Christmas?! :)
    7/09 miracle DD born
    3/11 DX: lean PCOS/anovulatory
    9/11 ovarian drilling to remove cysts + 5mg Femara = BFN
    10/11 5 mg Femara again = BFP, ectopic pregnancy at 5w4d
    11/11 diagnosed with breast cancer
    12/11 bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction
    http://annefightsback.blogspot.com
    Dori
    "Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    OMG!  Wow, I'm so happy you have an answer.  Thank goodness you have a doctor who knew what to look for!  Fingers crossed for you that everything goes well and you get a sticky bfp soon!
    Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
  • Options
    I'm glad they are close to figuring it out!! I'm sorry you have to go through this - what a pain when all you want to do is get back to the business of TTC! Good luck!!
    IUI #5 50 mg clomid + ovidrel + IUI 10/15 = BFP

Beta #1 27 (13 dpo) Beta #2 143 (16 dpo) Beta #3 436 (19 dpo) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

How bizarre!  I'm so glad you may be getting an answer in a pretty non-invasive way.

So, I may fail reading comprehension, but if it's phantom hCG, do you need to wait any longer or can you start again, next month, knowing they will have to test you differently?

• Options
    imagechoirgirl:

How bizarre!  I'm so glad you may be getting an answer in a pretty non-invasive way.

So, I may fail reading comprehension, but if it's phantom hCG, do you need to wait any longer or can you start again, next month, knowing they will have to test you differently?

That's a question I wish I had asked the doctor last night when he called.  I'm hoping it doesn't interfere with TTC again.  We weren't planning to do any treatment for a couple of cycles anyway, but I'm worried that this is going to change everything.  I'm also starting to get irrationally worried that I won't be able to TTC at all because they will need to keep monitoring the levels.  I'm kind of a mess today. 

• Options
    imageTwizzle:
    imagechoirgirl:

That's a question I wish I had asked the doctor last night when he called.  I'm hoping it doesn't interfere with TTC again.  We weren't planning to do any treatment for a couple of cycles anyway, but I'm worried that this is going to change everything.  I'm also starting to get irrationally worried that I won't be able to TTC at all because they will need to keep monitoring the levels.  I'm kind of a mess today. 

I am so sorry you are feeling bad about this! I have no idea what this is and have never heard of it. However, I really hope you find some answers soon and it won't interfere too much with TTC again. I will be pulling for you and I'm honestly really curious to see how this turns out! It sounds like you are in good hands and your Doc is going to take care of you.

Conceived DD after 15 cycles--- TTC #2 since 11/10---Me- Poor egg quality and supply---DH- Poor count and motility---2 rounds 75IU Follistim/IUI-BFN---5/12 150IU Follistim/IUI-Over-produced! Converted to IVF! 0 fertilized:( Rescue ICSI performed. 2 embryos transfered-BFN

---------Game Over---------

Moving on as a family of 3
    Lou's Infertility News

<a href="http://s863.photobucket.com/albums/ab199/lillinzlou2/?action=view
  • Options
    Ugh - what craziness. So sorry you are going through this. Wish I could press "fast forward" for you so you could be on the other side with answers and a plan to resume ttc.
    ttc #2 since 6/09 ** au naturel (many months) = bfn ** acupuncture + herbs (many months) = bfn ** acupuncture + herbs + IUI (2 rounds) = bfn ** gonal f + ovidrel + IUI (7 rounds) = bfn ** IVF w/ICSI+PGD - all embryos arrested 4/28/12 GAME OVER ** image >
  • Options

I am so glad that you got something of an answer! (And so glad it wasn't retained tissue or molar pregnancy!). Take care of yourself.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    IMG_0173.11
    Trying for #2 since July 2010
    BFP 8/1/10, missed m/c, D&C 9/15/10.
    BFP 1/8/11, chemical pregnancy.
    BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
    Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.
    BFP 12/29/11! Betas @ 10 dpo = 85, 14 dpo= 498, 22 dpo = 7242
    Heard HB 1/24/12. 144 bpm!

Luca Rose born 9/9/12! More than worth the wait!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"