June 2011 Moms
Options

Cash Bar at Baptism Reception

Do you find it tacky to have a cash bar at a Baptism reception on a Sunday afternoon?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cash Bar at Baptism Reception

• Options

Honestly, I think cash bars are always tacky.

Could you just skip alcohol?  Or only offer a limited amount of beer/wine?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    No way!  It is a Baptism.  If people expect to drink at a function that is welcoming a baby into a religious community it's their problem!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrs.SparklesMcGee:

I'm about ready to skip the alcohol all together.  There is a bar at the place I'm looking at so anyone who wanted a drink could go to the bar, which essentially makes it a cash bar.

A beer/wine package is $16/person and I'd say a third of the guests would be underage.  $16 like 2/3 of the price for lunch.

• Options
    imageMrs.SparklesMcGee:

Ditto.  If you are hosting an even somewhat formal reception, then it's the responsibility of the host, imo.  A casual dinner at a restaurant is one thing.  An official reception is another.  

• Options
    I agree with PP, I think a cash bar is always tacky.  If you do a beer and wine package you will only have to pay for the guests of legal drinking age.
  • Options
    I think you should skip the alcohol all together. If people really feel the need to drink at a Baptism Reception, they can buy it themselves.
  • Options
    i agree with pp that you shouldn't have a cash bar.  foregoing alcohol doesn't seem like a bad option at all.  all of us recently went 9 months without a drink and didn't come out any worse for it.  one afternoon of sobriety shouldn't be a big deal for your guests.
  • Options

imagekasutton84:
    I think you should skip the alcohol all together. If people really feel the need to drink at a Baptism Reception, they can buy it themselves.

That's kind of what I was thinking... But DH and I are also non-drinkers.... We almost had a dry reception, but added beer and wine at last minute so people wouldn't eat and run.... I'd say if they need to drink let em go to the bar.

forum
  • Options
    imageSgt M's Wife:

I'm about ready to skip the alcohol all together.  There is a bar at the place I'm looking at so anyone who wanted a drink could go to the bar, which essentially makes it a cash bar.

I think that's fine.  That is different than having a cash bar.  A cash bar, imo, is when you have it inside your reception room solely for your use.  A bar at the place you just happen to be going is completely different.

• Options
    We are probably going to use a BYO (thanks for the tip about Adelphias!) but at most places where a bar was present we were gonna make people buy their own. If they want a drink at a baptism party, they can buy it.
  • Options
    Look into paying per consumption. For a daytime event, you would probably come out better than $16 pp. Or, maybe offer mimosas or a champagne cocktail only. Each person would probably only have one glass. You would make the drinkers happy and save money. Fwiw, I would NOT do a cash bar.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'd just not offer alcohol or would pay for what is actually drunk, if that is an option.

We're having a lunch at a restaurant and expect a couple of people might order an alcoholic beverage, but I'd be shocked if anyone ordered more than one.  We're going to be picking up the tab for the lunch, whatever is ordered... 

BabyFruit Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We did beer / wine at ours.  But not a cash bar.
  • Options

imagekasutton84:

this totally. Drinks for this occasion would never even cross my mind.

• Options

I don't get the need for alcohol at a Sunday afternoon post-Baptism reception.  A wedding is one thing, but a reception celebrating a baby's baptism?  No.  If people can't attend this without drinking, they have a problem.

• Options
    imageMrs.SparklesMcGee:

This.  But if there is a bar there, like you said, then let people get their own alcohol if they really feel the need.

• Options

DH and I have been discussing this all week! DS's baptism is this Sunday and we are holding a reception at a local resturant. We have a private room, the bar won't be in the room itself but there will be servers bringing drinks to those who want one. The lunch is 25pp and with fees, taxes and gratuites it's costing us a little over 1800. We just can't afford to to offer an open bar for 55 people. I feel that I am paying for my guests to have a lovely meal and if they would like a drink they can pay for it themselves. It would be different if it was a Saturday evening party but this is a Sunday afternoon.

• Options

Ok, first of all, I live in the South (but I'm from the Midwest) and all of my southern friends were HORRIFIED that I had beer and wine at my daughter's Baptism reception. Ha! I kept trying to explain that this is TOTALLY normal for people outside of 'ole GA, but people down here think its a sin to drink, so.... it fell on deaf ears.

Anyway.... I don't like the idea of a cash bar. However, you said there is a bar at the place that is not in your room, so I think thats perfect. I don't think you should pay for an open bar- liquor is a bit far for a Baptism, IMO, although I understand your thinking. I don't think you'd get your moneys worth out of it. I think paying for beer and wine, or letting people use the bar at the venue are both completely appropriate options. I vote for the latter, that way you don't have to pay for it! Wink

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"