High-Risk Pregnancy

Tips to lower fasting number?

I found out a week ago that I have GD.  My doc rechecked me yesterday and seems to be happy with my numbers, controlled by diet.  (I finally figured out how to manage breakfast.)  Anyways, my fasting numbers are too high almost every day.  What can I do to lower them?  I am eating popcorn for my bedtime snack most nights.  I would really like to avoid meds if possible, but If I can't get my fasting number down I have to call the doc.  TIA!
Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Tips to lower fasting number?

• Try eating something with protein for your evening snack.  G/L!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely protein. Whenever you are eating carbs, you need to eat some protein with it as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Someone posted yesterday or the day before about their body loving peanut butter...and I agree.  I eat whole wheat toast/bread with peanut butter at night, and my fasting numbers are ALWAYS in the 70-80 range.  Everyone is different, but it's worth a shot!

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Thanks! I guess I should have thought of that. 
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  •  I like having popcorn but I always pair it with some cheese.  Trail mix is anouther one that I have tried with good results. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like cheese or PB for bedtime snacks, or some nuts. I love almonds and cashews and my fasting is always lower after protein nighttime snacks then carb ones.
  • I eat Greek yogurt for a snack every night.  My fasting numbers are unfortunately getting higher and I'm on insulin now, but but I also think it is directly correlated to how much water I drink through the night.  Every time I would get up 2-3 times to go to the bathroom and also drink water, my fasting number was fine.  If I only got up once, it was too high.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like pp said drinking water every time I got up to go to the bathroom at night lowered my fasting numbers by 10-12 points.
    GL!
  • i have been told that my bedtime snack should have higher fat and protein contents.  the suggestions i was given are cheesecake, ice cream, waffles with peanut butter, graham crackers with peanut butter etc.  apparently the fat helps hold your numbers stable through the night.  might be worth trying  i have a really hard time eating cheesecake before bed but it works for me.  actually me best fasting numbers have been after eating 2 7 grain kasji waffles with peanut butter.  i just try and eat a much smaller dinner because i know that is a lot to each before bed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"