Success after IF

Remind me about managing oversupply?

I have enough milk to feed several babies...we are into crazytown oversupply again.  I took a nap at the hospital today, and I woke up with boulders in my bra. I've fed my little boyfriend on demand (plus some) and pumped a lot already. 

So, to manage this oversupply, it is basically just block nursing and pumping until I'm comfortable, right?  Anything else I can do?

I have hard spots in my breasts after nursing...should I pump those out or just live with the tenderness?  There is still a lot of colostrum in my milk (it really just came in good today), so I hate to mess with it too much.

Thoughts??

Re: Remind me about managing oversupply?

• I had a HUGE oversupply also and it took a good 3 days for my milk to fully come in. But once it did it was crazy time!!

I just pumped ALOT..Jake was in the NICU and was just so mall we never reallygot the hang of BFing so I pumped for 6mnths. I would wake up with bolders instead of boobies and they never really recovered from that. Anyway to take away some of that pain one of the NICU nurses told me to use hot compresses (like scolding ot water) and that REALLY helped.

I also just had to PUmp and pump and it did eventually even it's self out..I would say like a month or so later..

• Yes I would produce way too much milk at first! So I just fed on demand and if they got really uncomfortable I would pump. I think it evened out in about 3 weeks. I did build quite a stash from the over supply in the beginning.
    After almost 3 years and 2 IUIs our lil guy is here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/hall_kyrac/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm new to this so take my advice with a grain of salt: I produced a crazy amount of milk at first and my LC told me not to pump the excess as it would encourage my body to make even more. It was painful though. There was (and still is) a lot of leaking too, which is annoying.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had engorgement/oversupply issues for the first 4ish months with DS--it SUCKED.  I would wake up and my boobs were full up to my collar bone i swear.  OUCH,  I have to agree with the above post that pumping may have made mine worse.  I think i pumped too much (too relieve the discomfort) and it just triggered my body to make that much more milk..??.  Its hard though--pumping just one ounce did nothing to relieve the engorgement, but Im wondering if my body would have balanced out over a few days if i pumpled LESS....good luck!
    Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
    Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
    2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
    Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The lactation consultant I talked to said that the best way to get your body to stop overproducing is to only feed from one side for two feedings in a row (like instead of 10 minutes left and 10 right, do the full 20-30 minutes feeding to one), then switch to the other side for the next two feedings and so on. Also, don't pump in between - only pump when he would have otherwise had a feeding. Once things seem to regulate you can taper off slowly by doing one feeding on one side, then the next on the other side and so on and eventually go back to the 10 and 10.  It will help him with any gas issues, too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"