3rd Trimester
Options

what a week....

So this time last week, just as I was turning 28 wks along, I had the worst cold ever and of course as we all know could take nothing that is actually helpful.  I felt like death and I'm a waitress so I had to work all weekend and finally Sunday I couldn't take it anymore and I called off and slept all day Sunday and Monday.  Then I start feeling better and I had an OB appt. on Thursday morning.  Went in thinking normal 10-15 minute appt. no big deal then I'll head to work.  Well not so much.  The doctor took a look at my Gestational Diabetes test, freaked out, and sent me right t to the hospital for a blood transfusion.  Awesome.  I was there for 8 hrs. having blood pumped into my arm and then at the end the nurse just unhooked me and said, "Ok have a nice day."

Oh alright.  Thanks.  I mean I'm taking an iron supplement but I was a little caught off guard.  I didn't realize how common place blood transfusions were I guess.  I mean baby is fine it was just me that was having the issue but well who wants to have strange blood pumped into their body while pregnant and get told well you may get AIDs or Hepatitis or die...all which will adversely effect your baby.  So you know....long week.  

Re: what a week....

• Options
    Gah!! That sucks.. why the blood transfusion? I haven't really done research or anything about gestational diabetes but.... I really didn't know you could get a transfusion because of it? O_O  Hope your weekend is better!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

You're allowed a blood transfusion when you're pregnant?! O___o That is the strangest thing I've heard (no offense!). Not to mention I didn't think that someone would need one just because of a diabetes test... What was even the reason behind it??? I ask because I have only heard that it can occur while pregnant and then just goes away after giving birth. So the need for blood..for diabetes..is Odd.

I really hope your days get much better for you =| When you have a chance, get comfy with a pillow or three and rub your belly. And/or have a super cold fruit drink. Those help me to relax or ease some tenstion a little, maybe it can help you too.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry the reason for the transfusion was that my iron and hemoglobin had dropped really really dangerously low.  I don't have any trace of diabetes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"