Breastfeeding

Donating milk to individuals not banks?

I have more than enough bm as I rarely give bottles but get around 16oz extra a day.  I am not a fan of doanting to a bank that then sells it to someone who needs it.  I'd much rather just donate it to a person/persons but don't know how to go about that.  Does anyone know of a website to get me started or can guide me in the right direction?

Re: Donating milk to individuals not banks?

• Human Milk for Human Babies has a FB page.  You could give it to a mom on there.  
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imageShandaLea:
    I have more than enough bm as I rarely give bottles but get around 16oz extra a day.  I am not a fan of doanting to a bank that then sells it to someone who needs it.  I'd much rather just donate it to a person/persons but don't know how to go about that.  Does anyone know of a website to get me started or can guide me in the right direction?

Totally understandable.  But having worked at a HMBANA bank for three years, the cost of the milk never ever covers all of the expense related to processing the milk.  They are most definitely not for profit organizations and rely heavily on grants, donations, volunteers, etc.  None of us made much of anything even the leadership.  Just wanted to throw that out there for anyone reading.  I can't speak for the for profit companies....but those are not HMBANA associated anyways. 

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Loading the player...
  • imageE&RMommy:

imageShandaLea:

Totally understandable.  But having worked at a HMBANA bank for three years, the cost of the milk never ever covers all of the expense related to processing the milk.  They are most definitely not for profit organizations and rely heavily on grants, donations, volunteers, etc.  None of us made much of anything even the leadership.  Just wanted to throw that out there for anyone reading.  I can't speak for the for profit companies....but those are not HMBANA associated anyways. 

Oops!  I didn't mean to imply that the banks are making a profit because I can only imagine how expensive it is to process and everything else that goes into it.  I mean more along the lines of I want to help someone in need

• I am a recipient of donor milk, primarily through my local Eats on Feets which has paired me up with donating moms. Thank you for donating, its moms like you that are such a blessing to moms like me.

As someone mentioned, Human Milk for Human Babies is one to donate to, and Eats on Feets is another, both have local chapters and facebook pages. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"