Babies: 0 - 3 Months

post-pregnancy bridesmaid?

Hi! I'm currently only 13 weeks pregnant, but I have a bit of a dilemma and was hoping to gain some wisdom from new moms who are where I will be when this all happens. My sister-in-law is getting married in mid-May 2012. She and I have never been close, but I was just asked to be a bridesmaid in the wedding! The wedding that will occur approximately FIVE weeks after I have given birth?!

I just don't know what to do! I am flattered that she would ask me, and under different circumstances, I think it would be fun and a good way for me to get to know her better. I'm just not sure about THESE circumstances. She's also asking my husband (her brother) to be in the wedding, as well.  

Is it wrong to decline the invitation? Should I just suck it up and be a post-pregnancy bridesmaid in all of my awkward glory? [fyi-this is my first pregnancy, I've never been a 'little' girl, and I completely expect to be 'waddling' by the end of this one...and, more than likely, for a few months after! They might have to roll me down the aisle!]

I appreciate whatever words of wisdom you might be inclined to pass my way! 

Re: post-pregnancy bridesmaid?

• I really think it's great that she asked you to be a bridesmaid. Especially since you've never been close. 5 weeks after giving birth I think is plenty of time to recooperate and be able to comfortably be in her wedding. Honestly, I've never been a 'little' girl either, and it's almost been 3 weeks since I gave birth and I feel great (except for being tired! lol). But if it were me, I'd gladly accept the offer! Good luck with whatever you decide, and congrats on the pregnancy! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wouldn't decline on account of size/looks. Your dress can be tailored to look great on you at any size, and besides, you'll have a month-old baby in tow (assuming the baby is coming to the wedding). No one will judge how you look. I'd let her know that I'd be honoured to stand up for them at the wedding, but (1) participation in bachelorette debauchery may be dicey especially if it's after you give birth, and (2) you might be needed by LO during the ceremony. Hopefully she'll be flexible & understanding.
    image image
    D: Born 7.14.11
    Baby #2: BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    O: Born 3.2.14 (med-free!)
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm only 3w pp and I feel pretty much back to normal.  I'm below my pp weight by a few pounds, but def not the same size.  The hips and belly will take a little while to go back down I'm afraid.  I think you should!

• I'm in a wedding next week and my LO will be 8 weeks old. 5 weeks is plenty of time to get some what normal again. I tried on dresses when I was 5 months PG and then went up one size when I ordered it. I just had to have it taken in (mostly in the boobs) and it's working fine. I wasn't able to participate in the bachelorette party (they did a weekend trip) due to needing to be at home to feed LO, but other than that I'm really looking forward to the wedding and the festivities that go along with it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was the MOH in my best friend's wedding five days after my emergency c-section.  I was sore and didn't get to enjoy myself much but I would do it all over again.  Don't let you LO keep you from participating!  Five weeks is plenty of time.  I would definitely pump in advance (or have an emergency stash of formula) and someone you trust to watch the LO during the ceremony.  Enjoy!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I gave birth to twins and was back in my pp pants by 3 weeks. My babies are 7 weeks old now and I think that at 5 weeks I would have been just fine to be in a wedding assuming you can find a babysitter. Don't decline for fear of what you will look/feel like then, you just never know and you can always have your dress altered. Don't fear b/c you will come home looking like you are still 5 months pregnant, all the fluid takes a while to leave.
  • I'm set to be my sister's MOH 4 weeks after I'm due this time. My DS I felt absolutely fine by 5 weeks so I'm not worried about it. Don't say no because of that, if you are still sore and need to sit more I'm sure she'll understand, the important thing is that you're there.
    Love my million dollar family with 2U2! DS born: 12/16/10 DD born: 07/18/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"