Attachment Parenting
Options

Bed sharing and re-breathing risk?

Long story short, I've been blessed with a difficult sleeper, and the only way I can get any rest is to nurse him side-lying pretty much all night. He wakes up every half hour or hour, I stuff my nipple in his mouth and pass back out, This concerns me, though, because I've been reading a lot lately about how re-breathing is a big contributor to SIDS - when babies don't have proper air circulation around their faces and re-breathe their exhaled air. When DS nurses himself to sleep in bed with me, his face either stays in my chest or even falls more toward the mattress when he unlatches, leaving him in a corner of sorts between the mattress and my breast. It sure doesn't seem like he would have much air circulation like that, but what can I do? Stay awake until he finishes and roll him over? That's what I do for the first half of the night, until I'm too exhausted for staying awake to be a possibility. How do you handle this? Thanks! 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bed sharing and re-breathing risk?

• Options

Bedsharing with a nursing mom reduces the chance of SIDS because you two constantly rouse one another and mirror the other's breathing.

For rebreathing to be a concern, I'm pretty sure that your baby's face would also have to be covered .  Just having some breast tissue near his nose isn't enough for him to rebreath carbon dioxide.  Also, I would always pull DD kinda low and make sure her head was tilted back a little bit so that her nose was clear & her chin was into my breast a bit.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageC-Charm:

Bedsharing with a nursing mom reduces the chance of SIDS because you two constantly rouse one another and mirror the other's breathing.

For rebreathing to be a concern, I'm pretty sure that your baby's face would also have to be covered .  Just having some breast tissue near his nose isn't enough for him to rebreath carbon dioxide.  Also, I would always pull DD kinda low and make sure her head was tilted back a little bit so that her nose was clear & her chin was into my breast a bit.

This...also, chin in breast and head tilted a bit is going to give you a better latch too.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I try really hard to get my LO into this position, but she's so wiggly, and she can really get her legs moving, so she keeps pushing herself higher and higher in the bed. I end up scooting up and leaning back as much as I can without sleeping on top of DH. Advice on how to keep her in the safer position?

Jacob and Melissa | Sept. 3, 2007 | Riviera Maya, Mexico

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Knot Bio | My Nest Bio
  • Options
    Have you tried a cosleeper?
  • Options
    I believe the re-breathing issue has more to do with stagnant air. Do you have a fan going in the room?
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." - Jack Layton

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 12/26/11 ~ EDD 9/6/12 ~ MMC discovered on 1/27/12 @ 8w1d (measured 6w2d)

BFP #3 8/10/12 ~ EDD 4/23/13 ~ MMC discovered on 9/13/12 @ 8w2d (measured 6w6d)
  • Options

Cribs for Kids?, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the CDC, Safe Kids USA, and all local, state and national Departments of Health recommend that everyone follow the ABC?s of Infant Safe Sleep:   Babies should sleep Alone on their Backs in a Crib.  They do not recommend bedsharing.   For more information read for yourself on this site:   www.cribsforkids.org.  

• Options
    imageSafeSleep:

Cribs for Kids?, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the CDC, Safe Kids USA, and all local, state and national Departments of Health recommend that everyone follow the ABC?s of Infant Safe Sleep:   Babies should sleep Alone on their Backs in a Crib.  They do not recommend bedsharing.   For more information read for yourself on this site:   www.cribsforkids.org.  

No

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." - Jack Layton

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 12/26/11 ~ EDD 9/6/12 ~ MMC discovered on 1/27/12 @ 8w1d (measured 6w2d)

BFP #3 8/10/12 ~ EDD 4/23/13 ~ MMC discovered on 9/13/12 @ 8w2d (measured 6w6d)
  • Options
    imageSafeSleep:

Good for them.

Now go away.  

• Options
    imageKittyKatMom:
    imageSafeSleep:

No

^ I agree. 

::must buy shiit to keep baby alive::

Where did babies sleep for the first 199,999 years on earth? There was no Pottery Barn for the first 199,999 years to sell cribs! HOW DID THEY SURVIVE?????

:rolls eyes::

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"