Working Moms
Options

if you are super-organized, please help me out!

I am trying to get things under control before baby #3 arrives and things at work becomes too hectic (probably this is just an illusion, but I would like to try anyway).

I love organization, but I feel overwhelmed by all the projects I would like to accomplish and the little time I have.

Can you share your secret?

I am looking for resources (such as blogs or video tutorials, etc. ) or ideas ranging from a "homemaking binder" to routines and schedules. 

Thanks! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: if you are super-organized, please help me out!

• Options

I'm always baffled by this process, wouldn't it be better to actually "be organizing" rather than "researching organizing"

I could kill DAYS looking at blogs and compliling ideas of how to do something, but then I've just wasted that time instead of actually organizing.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

The only tip I have is to make a list of your projects, and break everything down into specific manageable tasks.  For me I need to convert our office into a big girl bedroom for DD1 before LO2 arrives.  My list looks like this:

Get new desk and assemble it in master bedroom

Move computer and all equipment to new office space

Clear out bookcase

Clean out closet

Paint bedroom

Order new bedroom furniture

Choose bedding

Decorate

Whenever I get overwhelmed I just try to focus on one task, what is the highest priority to get done next.

I think its important when you're making your list to prioritize everything, and stick by that.  It's impossible to do everything, so be realistic about what you need to do most.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just make lists using old fashioned pen and paper. If you have categories, use different sheets of paper (e.g. baby prep, maternity leave prep, house chores). I cross things off as I go, and every week do a status check and start a new list moving old, unfinished items over and adding any new tasks that have popped up. And for work, I will take 1 afternoon a month to clean my desk and put things where they belong; any more often and I'm overthinking it.  I agree that generally spreadsheets, creating an Access database, etc would (for me) often just waste time in the long run.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

I'm always baffled by this process, wouldn't it be better to actually "be organizing" rather than "researching organizing"

I could kill DAYS looking at blogs and compliling ideas of how to do something, but then I've just wasted that time instead of actually organizing.

LOL! THIS is why I am not organized!
  • Options

imageklio79:
    I just make lists using old fashioned pen and paper. If you have categories, use different sheets of paper (e.g. baby prep, maternity leave prep, house chores). I cross things off as I go, and every week do a status check and start a new list moving old, unfinished items over and adding any new tasks that have popped up. And for work, I will take 1 afternoon a month to clean my desk and put things where they belong; any more often and I'm overthinking it.  I agree that generally spreadsheets, creating an Access database, etc would (for me) often just waste time in the long run.

This except I use "springpad" which is a phone app (you can get it for both android and iphone).  I have daily "to do's" which remind me of things I do daily, or weekly, and I have a running things that need to get done list which are things that aren't part of the routine but still need to get done.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options

I use toodeldo, an online to do list that also has an iphone app. every item on my to do list is categorized multiple ways. Each has a location: work, home, errands, etc,

Each is associated with a goal/roll: what is the purpose of this task, this task must be going towards something (for example, a certain project at work, but also, 'friend', 'wife', 'homemaker')

When I have a new project or goal, I often put an item on the to do list that is "organize for this project" and I'll spend an hour or so writing out smaller tasks that help me toward that goal.

The tasks are exported to my ical onto their due date.

My husband uses something similar, (rememberthemilk.com) I didn't like the layout, otherwise, if we both used it we could send each other tasks.

Also, my husband and I 'invite' each other to all work events so we have them on our calendars. At the beginning of the week we sit down and talk about which days we can do daycare drop off/pick up and we put it on the calendar. 

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

This is so me, it gets very overwhelming!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

CafeMom Tickers

• Options

imageklio79:

I also make lists with pen and paper. I usually have a "longer term" list..like house projects or random things to do when I think of them (examples would be sign up for autowithdrawal on some bills or buy stones for landscaping). These are things that if we don't get to them..oh well!  Then I have a list of stuff that needs to be done soon..examples are drop books of at the library or pick up milk..stuff that needs to get done. 

I have definitely scaled down since DS was born and have learned to just let go of things.  If I don't get to clean the bathroom one weekend, then it just gets done when I get time. 

I also try to make life as simple as possible.  We don't have a lot of stuff or a big house, so cleaning and organizing is manageable.  I do "big cleaning" in the spring and fall, where I go through each room and get rid of stuff, clean windows, and other stuff that doesnt get done often.  Honestly, the simplicity in our lives is what makes organization and time management the easiest.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I  usually have a long list of to-dos either on paper or on the "notes" on my iphone. Each week I pick a few off that I can likely accomplish and write those on a different note thats more in my face! Sometimes my weekly list is only one thing because its time consuming or expensive and sometimes is 10 things bc they are easy phone calls or emails etc. But crossing the things off my list makes me feel accomplished, organized and less scatterbrained.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSpenjamins:
    imageKathrynMD:

LOL! THIS is why I am not organized!

Totally agree - you can spend lots of time surfing online to find stuff.  But, better just to get to it.  House binder - don't overthink it.  Just go to Target, buy a binder & page protectors & put your house stuff in there.  Or, maybe a plastic bin would work better for you?  We have a binder from our builder.  It has a list of annual/seasonal tasks that we should do, the sub-cons used on our house, etc.  I have added names here & there to it, nothing fancy.  I don't refer to it all that much b/c our house is new and there isn't a lot to it.  I figure, if you don't get to take advantage of said organizing all that much, don't waste too much time on it.

Bigger projects -  Start with a room that drives you nuts and is used a lot and think about getting bins or shelves or whatever to keep the items in that room organized.  Purge it (donate or keep), and put the rest away in bins, on shelves, etc.  Don't spend lots of money on this though...it will all change the next time your kid reaches a new stage, or you need to change that room into something else, etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"