Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Second-hand crib, good or bad decision?

Hi,

My husband and I are newly expecting our first baby.  I saw a crib on craiglist that looks great and I talked to the owner and they said it meets all standards, and everything.  But i'm just wondering is a second hand crib, like a second hand car, you never really know what you're getting? Or can it be a safe bet?  We have the money to buy a new crib, but I would like to paint the crib to match the nursery and just feel like if it doesn't matter safety wise (of course, the #1 concern) then it doesn't make sense to buy a new crib to paint.  Any thoughts? 

Re: Second-hand crib, good or bad decision?

• Options
    Crib standards just changed this year so I highly doubt that it meets them.  Cribs are one of the things I wouldn't be comfortable with purchasing used.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• Options
    Cribs and carseats are two things I would never buy used. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageKimee13:
    Cribs and carseats are two things I would never buy used. 

Ditto. I'd buy just about anything else used, though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    As long as you can verify how good it is, I don't see why not. I personally do not buy anything used but I don't see anything wrong with it. I mean do people need guidelines to determine if something is safe? If it looks durable, and it's not disintegrating, no drop side, then go with your gut. My kid never even used her crib...she slept on the bed or in a bassinet and who knows if these met those "requirements." We were smart enough to determine safe conditions without guidelines and I am sure you are too.
  • Options

We bought a used Ikea Gulliver off of craigslist this summer. It has no drop side or moving parts and was in great condition. I know Ikea voluntarily recalled their cribs to improve the under mattress support, but prior to this, the Gulliver has always had great reviews. My advice is to look into the current guidelines and for recalls for the specific crib you're looking at, and go with your personal comfort level.

We are also borrowing a carseat from friends that we know has never been in an accident.

So....maybe we're just negligent parents compared to others. But to each their own. Wink

"Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark." -George Iles
  • Options

If it was a friend or relative and I could trust them, sure I'd borrow a crib or carseat from them if I was in a bind.

No secondhand Craigslist cribs or carseats will be used on my kid. I can't trust random Craigslist posters. 

• Options
    I bought a crib off craigslist. I looked up the brand and model to make sure there hasn't been a recall.
  • Options

It is actually illegal for people to sell their used cribs.

I wouldn't buy it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    imageLittleApple:

I wouldn't buy it. 

I found that same info as well. US standards changed as of June 2011. I bought my crib brand new for $50, at a midnight madness sale (down from $300). And up to the new standard (Canada did follow suit earlier).

To the Ikea Gulliver lady, if you haven't already got the longer bolts for the recall fix, they will send them for free.

• Options
    imageLittleApple:

I wouldn't buy it. 

Ditto. It is illegal because crib standards just changed this year. I believe any crib made after July of 2011 meets the new standards. So, it is doubtful that the crib you are possibly buying meets those standards.

What is your budget? There are cribs on amazon.com for less than $150 or so. We replaced our dropside crib with a Graco Charleston and we love it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagegimmietimmies:
    imageLittleApple:

I wouldn't buy it. 

I found that same info as well. US standards changed as of June 2011. I bought my crib brand new for $50, at a midnight madness sale (down from $300). And up to the new standard (Canada did follow suit earlier).

To the Ikea Gulliver lady, if you haven't already got the longer bolts for the recall fix, they will send them for free.

Sweet! Thanks!

"Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark." -George Iles
  • Options
    No way in hell would I ever get a used crib. 
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"