Breastfeeding

When to get nasty about not being able to pump at work?? (I am a nurse) LONG

Ok, so I started back to work last week and I am a Lead RN on a VERY busy Post ICU unit.  All I am asking is to be able to pump 2x during my day from 7a-745pm.  I dont get any other breaks besides MAYBE a 15-20min lunch break.  Fellow nurses can probably agree with the fact that we are almost always understaffed and expected to do too much with not enough resources.  HOWEVER, I dont feel like my childs only source of nutrition should be totally disregarded.  So yesterday was unearthly busy.  We took at least 10 admits and I dont know how many discharges.  I had to go to 3 meetings and 2 interviews.  Plus I am working the floor and in charge of everything going on.  I dont even leave to floor when I pump because I cant even hand off my things to anyone.  The is no one to cover for ME.  So I fed/pumped at 5am and then couldnt pump till 1230pm.  Of course it was absolute chaos and the house supervisor (supervises staffing/needs of whole hospital) came around at 6pm with MORE patients for me to take.  I told her I had to pump SOMETHING because I was starting to be in pain.  She was like "well, I dont know what to tell you"...really??  So I got pi$$ed and went in and pumped for 5mins.  Thats all I could do before I was being called out on the floor.  I ended up having to stay late 9pm to finish charting and such because I of course also had to take patients on top of everything else.  I got home about 945 and fed LO and pumped.  So at worked I pumped at 1230(full pump) and 6pm (5min) between the hrs of 5am and 945pm that is NOT enough to sustain my supply and feed my LO.  I am very upset about this and I understand that it is busy and I cant be away alot.  All I am asking for is 2 full pumps (I would like 3).  Has anyone been in this situation?  What did you do? 

Re: When to get nasty about not being able to pump at work?? (I am a nurse) LONG

• I'd get nasty now...

I understand busy hospitals. I really do...just because I work in the veterinary field, doesn't mean I can't relate. I have fears about finding time, too. Seems like the best thing to do is probably set up a meeting with your supervisor and explain the situation/ need to be able to do this. Heck, you aren't asking for more than, what 30 minutes a day minimum... If you were in California, this would NOT even be an issue. You would have two breaks and a lunch...if not, the labor board LOVES to know this stuff.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is a tough spot to be in. I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I agree with PP to bring it to a supervisor's attention, and start by documenting EVERYTHING. Including what just happened. You need to have an accurate record in case you need recourse.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am also a RN in a very busy ICU and I'm not looking forward in going back to work. It was nearly a hassle having someone to cover for you for a bathromom break. I can't imagine pumping at work for 10 to 15 minutes without anyone complaining. Working 12 hour shifts makes it even harder.
  • First let me say I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with this. I work in healthcare and I got more crap about breastfeeding/pumping from my co-workers than any stranger or family member in my 14months of breastfeeding/pumping for DS. As PPs mentioned I would go to your supervisor( my supervisor was one of my biggest critics) but I would also consider meeting with human resources as they will know exactly what your company policy is regarding pumping and review state law. I eventually left my job and when I met with HR they were horrified to hear about my difficulties with pumping, especially since they were in violation of state law regarding breastfeeding.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs73.pdf

They have to provide you time and a place to pump.  If you are in pain they are not providing you the reasonable time.  I'd put my foot down.  I honestly can't imagine having a day like that!  I would have been in so much pain I would have been sweating.  Not to mention they could cause you to get sick with mastitis or a clogged duct!

• Thanks guys.  It is so hard because my direct supervisor is supportive, but when I leave for the time it takes to pump then I am just that much more behind.  Plus, the longer I wait between pumps, the longer it takes to empty.  If I get mastitis or something that I need to be prescribed anything for I will go to occupational health and tell them the reason I got it was because I wasnt able to pump and work and they can pay for it.  Honestly, I am just so mad.  There is a whole aspect to the healthcare system no one knows.  We take all this time to care for these people and arent able to care for ourselves! 
  • imageLizRN626:
    We take all this time to care for these people and arent able to care for ourselves! 

This. Exactly.  Patients dont realize what goes on "behind the scenes". Neither does management. I can spend hours arguing about getting a patient a MRI/ some procedure/finding X form/ dealing with X issues/etc  that could have better been spent doing patient care. 

I work a step down floor and quite frankly, I don't care whats going on. I go pump. I do my AM assessments, give my AM meds, deal with any immediate issues, and go. I prefer to get things charted first and sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt. 

I do pump TID now- 830/9 ish, lunch, and 330ish. 

I'd start creating an uproar now if I were you. Otherwise if you wait a month they'll pull the "well you were fine this way for a month, so why complain now??" 

Good luck :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Meg, my original plan was to pump 3x at the time you do.  That just probably wont work most days.  The problem is I am the Lead and everyone expects me to be on the floor helping them constantly and I think honestly, they are annoyed when I have to pump.  How does your lead/charge function?  What would you think if she was gone pumping 3x/day? 

I read the labor laws the PP linked.  According to that I would have to be compensated during any break I took to pump because I am still answering phone calls.  This is such a PIA.  I think I will see how it goes this weekend and document things and go to my direct supervisor with the issues.

• imageMeg4583:

imageLizRN626:
    We take all this time to care for these people and arent able to care for ourselves! 

This. Exactly.  Patients dont realize what goes on "behind the scenes". Neither does management. I can spend hours arguing about getting a patient a MRI/ some procedure/finding X form/ dealing with X issues/etc  that could have better been spent doing patient care. 

I work a step down floor and quite frankly, I don't care whats going on. I go pump. I do my AM assessments, give my AM meds, deal with any immediate issues, and go. I prefer to get things charted first and sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt. 

I do pump TID now- 830/9 ish, lunch, and 330ish. 

I'd start creating an uproar now if I were you. Otherwise if you wait a month they'll pull the "well you were fine this way for a month, so why complain now??" 

This exactly.  You need to make sure they know that the way it was, is not the way it can be for any longer.  Is there any way you can do your charting while pumping so you don't have to stay late? 

I know it must be really difficult, but you need to put yoru foot down and make sure they know that this is not acceptable but you are willing to work with them regarding making sure everything is done.  But you can't continue like this.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I could chart while pumping if that were the issue.  The issue is the staffing and lack of support to the nursing staff in general.  I dont have a lot of charting since I am in charge bc I typically dont take patients (unless we are short), which we were.  So on top of all my regular duties I was acting as basically another nurse also.  My problem is I am expected to be in about 20 places at one time and frankly there just isnt enough of me.  The pumping isnt the only issue.  I also only ate 1x and drank about 20oz and peed once between the hrs of 5am and 945pm.  I love what I do, but this is ridiculous.  What I think should happen is the house supervisor either relieve me or at least be present on my floor 2x/day for 15min while I pump for issues and assistance to the other nurses instead of sitting in their office/walking around talking all day.
  • I can totally relate. When I went back to work with DD#1, I asked my boss for a key to the conference room in our dept so I could go there and pump. Never got a key and I work an 'off' shift, so I rarely see him. The hospital has a designated lactation room and I couldn't go there because its off the unit and I work in a busy ER. Long story short, I never got a key and was only able to pump like once a shift, I would have to ask security to unlock the door for me- total PITA. By about 2 weeks of this, my supply disappeared. Our staffing was horrible at the time, so our charge nurses were taking patients, we were seeing patients in the hallways, there just wasn't anyone that could cover for me because everyone was running around like a crazy person. But what would send me over the edge would be the smokers who every 4 hours would get their 10 min smoke break... This time around I'm going to speak up right away and voice my issues right away. Document everything, ask to speak with a HR rep, and talk to your boss! I totally relate on barely being able to eat, drink, pee let alone seclude yourself for 20 min to pump.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm an RN in a cardiac ICU and work two 12 hour shifts. When DS was 4-6 months old. I told my manager that I will be pumping every 4 hours (starting from the 6am ish time I nurse my sone). So around 10, 2 and 6pm. So I asked her what are we going to do so that happens? My manager is great (and BF 2 kids herself). The resource nurse covers me when I go (or someone else who just has 1 pt). WHen I am resource I leave my cell phone number at the desk and tell the secretary to have the clinical advisor call me if there is an issue I can handle over the phone, but I will not be stopping my pumping during that time. 

I don't always get to pump at 6, and now that he is almost 9 months old that is ok with me. If I were you I would go to HR NOW. Document everything. Check your legal rights by the state. I assume you are not a union hospital (I'm not either), because then you wouldn't be having any of these problems.  It would not kill your lazy supervisor to cover you at least twice a day.

I have 3 sets of pump stuff I put in freezer bags, use the simple wishes hands free pumping bra and I eat when I pump to save time.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLizRN626:
    I could chart while pumping if that were the issue.  The issue is the staffing and lack of support to the nursing staff in general.  I dont have a lot of charting since I am in charge bc I typically dont take patients (unless we are short), which we were.  So on top of all my regular duties I was acting as basically another nurse also.  My problem is I am expected to be in about 20 places at one time and frankly there just isnt enough of me.  The pumping isnt the only issue.  I also only ate 1x and drank about 20oz and peed once between the hrs of 5am and 945pm.  I love what I do, but this is ridiculous.  What I think should happen is the house supervisor either relieve me or at least be present on my floor 2x/day for 15min while I pump for issues and assistance to the other nurses instead of sitting in their office/walking around talking all day.

Then you should also include your HR in the discussion and start it NOW. GL.

BFP 4/23/09. D&E 7/17/09 16W5D. BFP #2 3/10/10. EDD 11/15/10 Babycakes was born 11/5/10! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just one more person telling you that you have to put yourself and your baby first, at least for 10-15 minutes 2-3 times a day. You are not being unreasonable. Talk to your supervisor, and then just start doing it. If it makes people angry... well, do you want angry people or mastitis? You're working while pumping anyway! I encourage you to just straight up say "I need to pump at 9, 12, and 4." And then do it. If the place burns down around you, I'll be shocked. People want you to fix all their problems, but they'll learn to either wait or cope.
  • I would ask if they'd rather lose you 30-45 min a day to pump or for a few days or longer for mastitis, their choice?

I would get nasty, IMMEDIATELY.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • imageLizRN626:

Meg, my original plan was to pump 3x at the time you do.  That just probably wont work most days.  The problem is I am the Lead and everyone expects me to be on the floor helping them constantly and I think honestly, they are annoyed when I have to pump.  How does your lead/charge function?  What would you think if she was gone pumping 3x/day? 

I read the labor laws the PP linked.  According to that I would have to be compensated during any break I took to pump because I am still answering phone calls.  This is such a PIA.  I think I will see how it goes this weekend and document things and go to my direct supervisor with the issues.

Our charge was also pumping. She had the phone on her and would answer calls, but took care of immediate items before she left the floor.  

Good luck. Its a battle but its so worth it! ( although it shouldn't be a battle...)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would have already been nasty, honestly.  Set a meeting with HR.  Tell them you need to meet that day.  This is insane.  
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I think you do need to advocate for yourself now, but you also need to do whatever you need to do to let go of things during the tiems you are pumping. Set a timer to remind yourself to go pump, and understand that there are some things that can (and will) get done without you there. I assume you were on maternity leave and they managed without you.

You sound like an awesome nurse, but it's very easy for us (generally, I know I do this) to want to make ourselves irreplaceable. Find someone you can delegate things to, and make it clear that you WILL be pumping and that if they want x, y or z, while you're pumping, they should ask the house supervisor. And make it clear to HR/your supervisor, whoever, that this is what you're doing. Set the precedent now.

Be firm, but not necessarily nasty. Think about how YOU can make changes for yourself to make this happen (and make it clear that your priority is making this work for everyone, without compromising what your BABY needs). And think about what exactly you need from others to make it work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hang in there!  As I've said in posts before, I'd pump for 2 or 3 or 5 minutes if that's the only time I got.  Pump in the car on the way to work.  Pumping driving home.  I'd hand express for 30 seconds in the bathroom just hoping it would help my supply.  I understand how hard it is to pump and stay hydrated on the floor. 

Agree with PP.  You have rights.  You have to ruffle some feathers if it means helping you get covered.

Keep us posted.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"