Babies: 9 - 12 Months

WWYD: 5:30am wakeup

DS sleeps like a rock from 7:30pm on, but every.single.morning he's up between 5-5:30.  If he were wide awake, I'd just accept that he's an early riser and deal with it.  However, he's still super tired and I know he's not really ready to wake up.  I'm just not sure how to approach it though.  Up until recently I was feeding him a small bottle (3-4oz) then laying him back down.  He would immediately put himself back to sleep, and would sleep until around 7am.  In the last month though, he throws a fit when I lay him back down and wants me to rock him and hold him while he sleeps.  If I try to lay him down, he immediately wakes up and screams bloody murder.  In the past week I've stopped feeding him at this time, but he's still waking and will only go back to sleep if I hold him and rock him.  DH tells me to not go in at all and just let him CIO, but I've tried this and he doesn't go back to sleep.  He literally cries and cries until it eventually gets to be 6:30 and I have to get him up anyway.  I just can't continue to do this though...it's been going on for months and something has to change.   So WWYD?

Let it continue and hope he outgrows it?  Feed him a small bottle, then lay him back down to CIO?  Don't go in at all and let him CIO?  Some other option I'm not thinking of?  (Oh, and changing his bedtime doesn't make a difference either.)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD: 5:30am wakeup

• I vote for feed, then CIO, maybe even do a quick diaper change. For us anything before 6 am is a quick bottle and back to bed.
  • Hopefully it's just a phase. I might try getting up with him for an hour, playing, have a bottle, and then try putting him down. DD woke up at 5:30am from 9.5 - 11m for an hour and then slept until 8, then one day just went back to sleeping 7pm-7am. DS sleeps like a rock until she screams loud enough to wake him. Even at 24m, she just randomly started waking up at 5:30am, exhausted, but not willing to lay back down... killing me! So I apologize I can't help you out, but sympathize and hope lots of sleep comes your way soon!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We had this problem around 9 months, and I was nursing him for about 10 minutes then laying him back down for a while (for a while, he was just up for the day at 5/5:30 and that was that...then one day he started getting cranky and I realized I could lay him back down and he'd sleep for another hour). Anyway, after a couple weeks of this, I called our pedi and he recommended just letting him CIO.

I say try the CIO and stick to it for a week or so, but are you sure he's not just up for the day? I'm sure he'll readjust eventually, but a whole hour of crying does sound like a lot (we had 45 min crying the first morning, then 15 min the next day, then 5, then none...).

He's growing up, but he'll always be my baby!

Nathan--11/4/10

...big brother to...???? Due March 2014!

• Sorry, I just saw that you said he's still cranky and falling asleep. I say try not going in at all and doing CIO hardcore for a week...if that's not working then see if your dr can recommend anything else! You all definitely deserve better sleep! Good luck!

He's growing up, but he'll always be my baby!

Nathan--11/4/10

...big brother to...???? Due March 2014!

• Thanks, ladies.  Yeah, he's definitely still sleepy.  I've tried just letting him get up for the day at that time but he's so fussy and obviously still tired.  DD went through this around this age, which is why when DS started it I just fed him and laid him back down.  That's exactly what I did with DD and she outgrew it in about 2 months and went back to sleeping until 6:30/7:00.  But with DS, not only is he not outgrowing it yet but it's getting worse!  He will not let me lay him back down, and it's impossible for me to get any sleep sitting in the chair with him.   This has been going on for almost 5mos now, and I'm exhausted!!  Thanks for the tips and support!
  • Stick with the CIO.  It took over a week of DS whining/crying/talking to himself for 2 hours straight to break him of a 4:30 wake up.  Make sure the room is still dark, too.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• I don't know if this would help out at all or not, but when my LO wakes up in the morning I quickly go in there without turning on any lights and I give him his blanket (usually I don't put him to bed with his blanket) but if I give him a soft blanket and sometimes I will turn on his music player attached to his crib and he will usually go right back to sleep. So maybe try that and see if your LO is just looking for a comfort tool. Hope this helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD has been doing this for the past several nights.  She used to just wake up for a short early a.m. feeding and would fall right back asleep, but now she gets upset when I put her back in her crib.  I know she's still tired based on how she's acting, but now she's having a hard time putting herself back to sleep.  I've debated letting her CIO, but it's so hard for me to do that.  Might just have to bite the bullet...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had that going on for a while.  It was like DD just hadn't learned that she should sleep until 7.  She was a tiny tiny bit hungry at 5:30, and maybe woke up and noticed her full diaper, or whatever, and just wouldn't settle back in without addressing the issues.

So, what I used to do is get her up for the day at 5:30...change her diaper, give her a "real" bottle, and just act as though it were time to be up.  She would be cranky and tired, etc.  so she would end up back in bed by 7:30/8.  Eventually she started sleeping till 5:45, then it was 6, then 6:30.  Now she'll sleep till 7 most days if she's able (during the week we have to get up at 6 for work).  It was just a matter of her learning that 5:30 was still "tired time" and realizing that if she got up at 5:30 she'd still be tired.  Once she figured out that rythm, she WANTED to sleep later.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"