Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Help so I don't have to worry for 48 hours...

I'm hoping someone on here has dealt with this similar situation. If so PLEASE let me know. We tried to switch LO's formula because of severe constipation. However later the same day of the switch (Wednesday) she had very watery diarrhea and has had very runny stools since then (about 5x a day) For a baby who was passing hard stools previously its a big change. We were nervous 1st time parents and thought maybe our LO was having an allergic reaction so we quickly went back to the previous formula and figured we would just talk to our doctor at her four month check up next week about how to handle switching her. Now two days later...she is still having very runny stools and going very frequently. Is it possible it is still giving her diarrhea two days after? She only had the other formula for 3 feedings on Wednesday. I'd really appreciate input. I called the doctors office but they gave the typical wait and see for another 48 hours... and as other 1st time moms know that means 48 hours of internet research, worry, and anxiety.

Re: Help so I don't have to worry for 48 hours...

• First, step away from the internet. Dr Google cannot help in this situation. He'll only make things worse.

Second, the doctor wants you to stabilize her diet so her digestive system has time to recover. It'll take about 48 hours for that to happen.

Pick one formula and stick with it through the weekend. Whether you go back to the old one or decide to move forward with the new one makes no matter. Just pick one.

However, yes. We did switch DS' formula. He was fed Similac Advance and it made him constipated and gassy. We switched to Similac Sensitive for gassiness. Within a few feedings, he had runny stools that lasted about a day or so. I imagine it was his body re-hydrating and then getting rid of the backlog of poop. He was fine within a few days.

• My pedi told me once that formula doesn't effect your LO that fast (ie- after 3 feedings). sorry I don't have more info. & I hope your LO gets better real soon!! Seems like a lot of diarreah to me. :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It took Evan about a week to adjust to a formula change. As long as your LO is happy, peeing (pooping not a problem!) and eating, I wouldn't worry too much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we're on day 3 of runny snotty looking diarrhea (ughhhh) but if she is making plenty of wet diapers, her mouth and eyes are wet, no fever try not to worry, though i know it is so hard! even after our Dr. visit yesterday i'm still paranoid about everything, i just want it over! after every bottle i just wait for it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • awww I know what its like to worry so much. I'm not formula feeding im EBF but up until starting rice cereal my LO would poop almost after every feed runny (like water), and usually exploded from the diaper. My pedi said that this was fine. Yes it seems like a lot of poop but as long as there is no fever, you are keeping LO well fed and hydrated, plenty of pee diapers as well as poop you're fine! hold out for 48 hrs and if it's still happening call your pedi again. Just keep LO hydrated! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"