Babies: 0 - 3 Months

BF: When does it get easier?

S/O hating breastfeeding post below, I keep hearing people say it does get better- but when?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BF: When does it get easier?

• Most people find it improves after about 3-4 weeks I think.
  • For me it was maybe a month? By then he started becoming more alert and also, the first two growth spurts had passed. The 6 week growth spurt wasn't too terrible for me oddly enough, though for some people it's pretty rough.
    image image
    D: Born 7.14.11
    Baby #2: BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    O: Born 3.2.14 (med-free!)
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a very hard time up until week 4 or 5. It does get better I promise!
  • I started to see slight improvement around 3 weeks, manageable by 4 weeks, and fairly easy by 6 weeks or so.
  • It was really hard for the first 4 weeks or so. During the first week, I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to do it. DS was a champion latcher but it hurt so so so badly. The first feeding was 10 minutes after birth and I remember it hurting as clearly as I remember the pain of contractions. I was using lanolin after every feeding, hot and cold compresses for engorgement, and doing everything the LC at the hospital had suggested.

I just remember thinking "I can't take this pain 12 times a day for the next year" and crying. I thought about all of the times I'd heard people say that they enjoyed breastfeeding their children and came to the conclusion that I was just defective.

After the first few weeks, the pain nearly disappeared and I started actually enjoying it. I am so glad that I made it though.

• It really can get better! It is like night and day between now and when LO was a week-old. I was literally sobbing because of the pain several times in those first two weeks and now I actually enjoy it. Things are even better than they were just last week, something about his latch just keeps getting better! The best advice I got was to set mini goals to reevaluate, like you guys will give it another week and if things aren't getting a little better, you guys will consider alternatives. Also, call the lactation consultants even if you can't see one in person. They are usually super supportive. Finally, dont be hard on yourself if FF turns out to be the best for you guys. Some of those BF blogs are a little hardcore.
    William Henry born August 26, 2011, 7lbs 9oz 20 inches Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 3 months for me.  It was a struggle, and I almost gave it up every day.  For some reason I just couldn't, and I'm glad I stuck with it.
  • BF was HARD for the first few weeks, I won't lie. Ditto PP, the thing that helped me the most was setting mini goals.  My first goal was 3 days, then a week, then 2 weeks, 4 weeks then 6 weeks.  By 2 weeks I was seeing a definite improvement in his latch and I was getting more sleep.  By 4 weeks my nipples were healed and feeding was no longer as difficult but I was dealing with an oversupply problem. After 6 weeks I had gotten my supply to regulate and we were smooth sailing. Also at 6 weeks we finally got the hang of NIP very easily/discreetly and that improved life greatly.  I'd say after 6 weeks we were hitting our stride and BF was very easy at that point. Now it is just second nature.  We don't have to keep up with bottles while we are out, warm water, etc. just pack up some diapers/wetbag and go!  Keep up the hard work- it is definatley worth it! 

Another piece of advice that got me through the rough days- don't quit on a bad day.  Wait for a good day to evaluate where you are with BF and if it would be best for you to quit.  You don't want to quit in the "heat of the moment" so to speak and regret it a week later when your milk supply has already tanked and then have to work double hard to bring it back.  HTH and GL!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I remember the early days where I wanted to quit on a daily basis.  I would cry because I wanted to quit, but I wouldnt let myself give up.  I gave up with DS #2 at 3 months.  I have always regretted that.  I told myself give yourself 3 months, if after 3 months you want to quit...then quit.  I think at 8 weeks, I began to like BF and now I know I want to stick it out.  It does get easier...set a goal for yourself.  If you make it, set another one.  Do this until you are okay with giving up or until you are enjoying it :)
    Steph - mama to Owen Patrick 2/20/02, Ryder Jacob 11/3/05 and Brody Ryan 7/14/2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagezoe_cat:
    I started to see slight improvement around 3 weeks, manageable by 4 weeks, and fairly easy by 6 weeks or so.

This 

• After the first week the soreness was gone so that's when it got better for me, both times.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The first two weeks was pure he!!. LO had latch issues, I was trying to pump in addition to feeding him, just because I wasn't sure how much he was getting. He was finicky about the whole thing- one day he'd refuse the right side, the next he'd refuse the left and be ok with the right.

At the 3 week mark, everything really started to come together. I was way more comfortable nursing, LO took to it finally, and we had no more latch issues.

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• imageAmanda&EricB:

The first two weeks was pure he!!. LO had latch issues, I was trying to pump in addition to feeding him, just because I wasn't sure how much he was getting. He was finicky about the whole thing- one day he'd refuse the right side, the next he'd refuse the left and be ok with the right.

At the 3 week mark, everything really started to come together. I was way more comfortable nursing, LO took to it finally, and we had no more latch issues.

My boy is one week, this is what's happening to me!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"