Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Filling the Cup

Today my doctor asked that my husband give a sperm sample within the next week or so and he seems, understandably, a little uncomfortable with the idea. Luckily he can do this when it's convenient for him and I just need to deliver it to the lab when he is done, but I want to know if there's anything I can do to put his mind at ease and not put pressure on him because I'm sure this is very difficult for him. Any suggestions?

Re: Filling the Cup

• Options

You can help him. Just no BJs, as saliva can kill the swimmers.

ETA: And no sex, obviously. You don't want to contaminate the sample with vaginal/cervical secretions. When I say help, I mean you can manually stimulate him.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options

My DH has done 2 SA's  - the first one I "helped" and the 2nd he was on his own. He said he felt less pressure doing it alone. I think is is difficult for all men, but I would have a chat and see if he would appreciate your "help" or if it would feel like he had too much of an audience.

G/L!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers TTC Since July 2009
    BFP C6 - m m/c found on 3/17 - D&C 3/19 9w6d
    Aug 2011 - SA - Low motility (25%) high PH
    Sept 2011 - SA - 100mil sperm, 37% motility
    Oct 2011 - HSG/SHG if not natural BFP
    Holy crap natural BFP(cycle 20)!!! - Beta#1 10/11 - 185 P-23, Beta #2 10/13 -499.8, P-35.7! Thyroid good at 1.13, Beta #3 10/18 5,854.6 P-30.6; Beta 4 10/25 - 39,500 p4 20
    1st U/S on 10/18 - saw gestational sac! 2nd u/s (10/25) saw a tiny fetus and saw the HB flickering away! 3rd U/S on 11/2 measuring 2 days ahead HB 138! 4th U/S 11/9 - Measured 8w1d - HB 178! released from RE 11/16 U/S - HB 180 everything On track!
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the help, ladies! I am happy to...assist him, so to speak, but I don't want to make it more awkward by doing so. Guess we have some talking to do!
  • Options

I have been lucky so far with both our SA's and our IUI's that DH needs to produce for. He does it at home since we live within 45 minutes of our clinic, so that makes it pretty easy. He goes into the bathroom and about 5 minutes later comes back out, all done.

I guess it just depends on how open you and your DH are about masturbation. It can be a very mental game!

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...