December 2010 Moms
Options

9 month appt yesterday = worrisome results

They want DS to get an ultrasound done of his head b/c it's so darn big. The doc assured me she thinks it's nothing, but if we did want to get an ultrasound eventually, she'd prefer to do it now before the soft spot completely hardens. Then we'd only be able to do a CAT scan and it's silly to expose him to the radiation if we don't need to.

She thinks he just has a big old melon, but she wants to make sure nothing else is up. However his head did grow a lot since the last appointment and it's like more than the 98th percentile or something crazy like that. 

Eeek! Has this happened to anyone else?

My little man at 0-1-2
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

Re: 9 month appt yesterday = worrisome results

• Options
    Hopefully it's nothing. It sounds like the doctor is just trying to be extra careful. Keeping you little one in my thoughts.
  • Options

We had the same thing happen.  His head jumped from being in the 75% consistently to the 97% at his 9 month.  The pedi was concerned about his soft spot closing too soon or something along those lines.  We had to go see a plastic surgeon who told us his head was fine.  He just said it was big.  But since DH has big heads on his side of the family, they wanted to refer us to a neuro surgeon just to keep an eye on how his head is growing. 

I'm sure your DS is fine though.  Good luck with the ultrasound.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree that it sounds like your pedi is just being very cautious. I'm so sorry this is causing you extra worry but please know you will both be in my prayers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I remember when he was little they talked about this, too, right?  Is it just that his head has grown a lot again?  It seems like he's always had a bigger head, so probably his pedi is just being extra cautious.  I hope everything is ok.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Options

Yes! The same exact thing, actually. At C's 9 month appointment, his head had skyrocketed from 95% to over 99% and the pedi ordered an ultrasound.

It turns out, C just has a big head like his Daddy. No surprise there.

For the u/s, they just covered his head in goo and used various wands to see what they could see. Funny enough, the one that ended up working the best was the one they use for internal vaginal ultrasounds. Haha

Good luck, don't worry, and for the love of cheese....stay off Google!!! 

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Options
    This pops up a lot on the boards and is pretty much always nothing. I know a baby IRL who had the scan and was fine, and my LO jumped from 25% -50% ( she's 1% fir weight) but stayed steady after that so we didn't end up getting the scan. I'm sure he's just being cautious and everything is fine!
  • Options
    imageOhSewCrafty:

Good luck, don't worry, and for the love of cheese....stay off Google!!! 

I agree. DH looked up what the doctor was concerned about( some technical name i can't remember) and the results that came up were crazy.  I did not look.  No need to worry yourself more than necessary.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    This has happened to 3 girls on the board, I think...OSC, MSUalum, and I'm sorry I cannot remember the third...all ended up ok! I think it's somewhat common :)
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options
    We had to get an ultrasound done on LO's head because it was too small. It turned out just fine. Good luck!

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks

• Options

looks like this happens a lot and it's no big deal. 

my LOs head also got a lot bigger from 6-9 mo but he went from 10th percent to closer to normal...still has a smallish head. GL! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My boys had this done at 6 months- they are both fine.  It is not a terrible procedure and I found out one of their results that day- the others the next.

• Options
    We haven't had to do that, but I wanted to say that I hope everything goes well!  ?
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Options
    Yes, it has!  And I know it's easy for me to say, but *TRY* not to worry!  The chances that LO has hydrocephalus or come other congenital problem are very very VERY small...and you would almost certainly notice other symptoms if that were the case (do not Google it, just trust me on this! ;-))  We had ours done after his 4 mo appt b/c his head went from 68% to 87%;  everything was fine, and between 4 & 6 months his head only grew .5", and between 6 & 9 months didn't grow at all.  It will all level off and he'll grow into his melon!  Good luck!  Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    You ladies are all so supportive <3 Thank you SO much! I will stay away from google and let you know how it turns out. I didn't realize how common this was!

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options
    I'm glad the ladies made you feel a little less worried.  She's just a big smartie!
    photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options
    Aww, I hope it's nothing! Good luck with the ultrasound & hugs to you!

• Options
    GL with the ultrasound, I am sure its nothing I ve heard/read alot of other babies having them done because of head size. You baby is just super smart :)
  • Options
    My son's head started off in the 25th percentile when he was born and then flew up to the 98th percentile at his six-month appointment.  Our pedi sent us to Children's Hospital to have him checked out.  The neurologist said that we could do a CAT scan or ultrasound, but she felt that he was developmentally fine and DH and I both have big heads as well.  The doctor told us to schedule another appointment if LO stopped reaching developmental milestones or regressed.  The nurses in pediatric neurology as well as the neurologist told us that they get a lot of "big head referrals" and about "95%" of them end up being nothing.  I'm sure you're still nervous, but I hope everything turns out okay.
    Proud Momma to two beautiful children!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"