2nd Trimester

What I wish people told me

Before DD1, I was so hopeful the weight was just going to fall off since I would breastfeed. Family & friends constantly told me not to worry, give it 6-12 weeks after delivery and I would lose the weight.

To be extremely honest, that didn't happen. I breastfed exclusively for 7 weeks, and lost 10 out of the 50lbs+ I gained in that amount of time. I was very athletic pre-pregnancy, but I lost any desire to exercise while pregnant. 

I am so jealous of moms who look like they have had no kids... It took me 11 months to lose 30lbs. Now my 2nd time around, I am definitely trying to watch what I eat (somewhat), and make it a point to go out for a daily walk or two. 

Any other 2+ time moms have trouble with weight? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What I wish people told me

•  I gained only 18 while pregnant with my first.  However, after I had him I was so hungry more than I've ever been in my life.  I BF for 7 months and I probably gained another 15lbs because I was so tired from no sleep that the first few months I ate whatever didn't require much time.  Yeah, stupid.  But I was sleep deprived and hungry.

This time around I'm precooking meals. 

• I gained 30lbs with DS and lost 20 of it by 7 months postpartum. Like pp, while breastfeeding, I found myself hungrier than when I was pregnant. It took me a full year to get to where I felt sexy again. 

This time around, I am purchasing a Belly Bandit to help shrink the pouch and keep me mindful of my waistline :). I have also been working out 3x a week since before becoming pregnant and plan to exercise much sooner after this baby if I can swing it.

I am, however, still giving myself 9 months to get back to pre-preg weight/size. It takes 9 months to put it on; better to give yourself that long to take it all off.  

• Loading the player...
  • I'm convinced my body just like to pack on the weight when I'm pregnant. I don't recall exactly what I gained with DS (30ish pounds) and I've already gained a bunch with this pregnancy, even though my eating/exercise habits are not much different. I also had GD with DS and even when I was on the strictest diet of my life for 3 months, I was still gaining some weight each month.

It did come off pretty easily after DS was born, but I BF until DS was 11.5 months, which may have helped. I definitely ate a lot while BFing, but was still losing weight over time.  

I'm not too worried... I can't fight it and I'm eating pretty "normal." That's all I can do. 

Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • i gained 30 lbs with the first pregnancy and I did lose some of it but then gained it all back (insert excuse here)

I started this pregnancy the same weight that I was when I had my daughter

scary.... 

• Yes! I love this post. W/ my DD I gained about 45 lbs (but I was 10 lbs heavier to begin w/). When she was born, I lost about 20-25 lbs pretty fast in the first few weeks, but it took 9 months to get the rest off. It was just harder to workout for me when I had a baby (I ALWAYS got called at the gym daycare to go get her, so I mostly had to stick to running).

This around, I started off about 15 lbs overweight (once I lost the babyweight from DD#1, I gained it back a little while later from a medication I was taking) and trying to be REALLY careful about my weight gain this time around. So far I'm at a 1 lb gain, but I'm not really concerned w/ now.... b/c I gained the majority of weight after 32 weeks w/ my DD. So that's when I'll really start watching. 

But otherwise, I'm exercising a lot more this time, and just making better food choices (although let's be honest, I'm still giving into temptation every now and then).

DD1 January, 2009
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yep.  I gained about 40 lbs with DS and only lost about half of that right away.  Everyone told me breastfeeding would take it right off, but it didn't.  Then my mom told me that she lost a lot of weight after she quit breastfeeding.  However, when I stopped, I didn't lose any additional weight.

When DS was 10 months old, I joined Weight Watchers.  I was able to lose 30 lbs within about 7 months and actually got back down below pre-pregnancy weight.  It was definitely a great decision!

This pregnancy, I am keeping much more active - working out regularly, watching what I eat, and keeping up with a 2 year old.  After delivery, I am going to start back on the Weight Watchers plan so I can quickly get back to where I started.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my DD I gained 60lbs. I was down 30lbs when I came home from the hospital (I apparently had a TON of water!), but even though I BF for 4 months, I had a hard time losing it all. I finally joined WW online and lost it all right before I got pregnant again. But I learned how to eat better and make better food choices. So far with this pg, I'm still at (or below, sometimes) my target weight so I've only gained 1-2lbs. I'm going to stick to my goal of gaining no more than 30lbs. This pregnancy has been so different from my DD. I'm actually craving healthier foods, which makes it easier to not gain so much weight.

I'll be getting back on WW when this baby's born to get rid of the weight and then I'll be working on getting rid of this flabby belly!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I can relate with you on the not feeling motivated to work out while pregnant... i love running, but with my first pregnancy AND this one i don't feel like doing much of anything, so i just make myself go out and walk when i can and i also bought a few prenatal work out DVD's. With my DD i gained 32 lbs, and lost 10 - 15 in about the first week (she was 9 lb 5 oz, plus fluids, etc.) and after a month i was back to my normal weight, but still had a loose belly. It took about 4 - 6 months for my body to look and feel more normal, but that's because i was super motivated to lose the weight as soon as she was born. Since i had to wait to work out i just ate Special K, slim-fast and lean cuisines, and as soon as i could work out again i did, i did NOT feel comfortable in my body at all and i didn't want to use my baby as an excuse to wait to lose it, i jumped on it and got it done. I am hoping that by being more active during my pregnancy this time around and by keeping myself disciplined after i have it that i can get all the weight off in 6 months or less again... You can do it girl, just don't give up and keep your focus! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • AGREE!  I gained 47 pounds with DS which did stress me out but at the end I gave up caring and just said I'd lose it after he was here.  I breastfed for 15 months but that did not help me lose weight at all.  I eventually joined WW at 6 months pp and finally lost it all but the stretch marks remain.  :(  I HATE my stretch marks.  I gained a lot of weight in my thighs and butt so the worst of them are there..bathing suits will never be the same.  I'm trying really hard to not gain as much this time around but so far I'm only about a pound under where I was at this time with my first.  I gained a lot of weight in the 3rd tri but I'm hoping to avoid it this time.  My goal is to stay under 40 pounds, fingers crossed!
  • I gained 38lbs with DS and lost it all within a year

Then I got pg again and gained 36lbs. I lost all but 10 but it wouldn't come off. In Jan I did WW and lost 20lbs

I started this pg about 7lbs below what I did the other two and I have already gained 20lbs or so. about twice as much as I usually do at this point. Yes, I have indulged. I won't lie, but I have also exercised a lot more this time. I do a lot more walking and I have 2 kids to chase after. I am a little nervous about how high I am going to end up and how long it's going to take to come off.

Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • I breastfed for 15 months and never lost all the weight:( Then when I stopped BF I gained weight since I didn't alter my diet.  I am defiantly going to watch what I eat this time around.  When I was 2 months pregnant this time around I weighed what I did when I gave birth to DS.  So sad. 
  • I didn't loose anything through BF and I'm still nursing at night.  My body apparently thought the calories leaving meant I was starving to death so it slowed my metabolism down to survival mode.  I was and still am lifting twice a week and running a min of 5 miles 3 times a week.  I was still 15 lbs off my normal weight when I got preg. with this one almost a year after I delivered.  

I'm right back where I started weight wise with this one at the same point in my preg.  I do think I have more muscle mass though because of the lifting, but I'm not looking forward to the battle of the bulge coming up.  

• I had the same experience with DS#1. I breastfed for 13 months, and after I was done, I started gaining weight again! People warned me of that, but I just didn't pay attention... This time around, I am going to make an effort to become a bit more active instead of just relying on BFing to get rid of the baby weight.
  • I'm right there with you. I gained 52 lbs with my first daughter ( a lb a week from day 1 and then some!). I thought nursing would just suck it off me like it did to my mom. Heck, I even bought a top of the line pump and used it as 'exercise' basically. I ended up shipping a 4ft by 2 ft by 2ft box of milk to Africa, and still had 30 lbs to lose after birth and 7 months of nursing.

Alot of hard working out and a half marathon got rid of 10, food poisoning got rid of another 5, quitting nursing took off 5 and getting pregnant with my second took off 5.

Started the second pregnancy about 5-7 lbs higher than the first and only gained about 35.  This time I got smart and joined ww a week after she was born. I lost almost all of it using ww. It was NOT via nursing.

This time? I'm watching it from day one. I'm really, really hoping for a 25lb gain. 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I gained a total of 25lbs last time and had no issues loosing the weight while BFing (I BF for 12 months).  Once I stopping BFing I gained 10lbs.  So starting this pregnancy I'm already up by 10 since the last time I was on this ride.

I'm not too worried about it though -- I'm hoping to gain about 25-30lbs this time around also.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I gained 42 lbs with DS and I was in the same boat.  I lost about 33-35 pretty quickly but the last 15 kept holdin on.  I just looked like I was about 3-4 months pregnant and it was annoying.  I EBF till DS was 10mo and then continued to BF am/pm til he was 13mo.  I still couldn't lose all the weight.  It wasn't till he was completely weaned and I joined WW that I lost all the weight plus more.  Everyones metabolism is different and just BFing does not help everyone.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"