Babies on the Brain

Should we take this class, or am I being silly?

"Newborn Essentials: How will your baby adjust to life outside the womb? How will you adjust to life with your baby? Here?s the essential introduction to life with a newborn. From the first hours after birth, to the first weeks at home, this class offers information, tips and proven techniques to keep your baby safe, happy and healthy. Using doll models, you?ll learn the basics of bathing, diapering, swaddling, umbilical cord and circumcision care, colic holds, gas relief techniques, and how to comfort a crying infant. Newborn health concerns, signs of illness, how to take a temperature, and when to call the doctor will be reviewed; as well as car seat safety and installation, reducing risk factors for SIDS and maintaining a safe home environment."

It is 3 hours, $60. I feel as though my nannying and running a daycare center is enough prep that I could muddle through, but A has only ever held an infant, and she will be taking 3 months of maternity leave, so she will need to know all about taking care of a baby. Worth it or waste of time/cash?

Re: Should we take this class, or am I being silly?

• We took it and I thought it was a waste. The only thing that was helpful was how to give him a bath.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imagemagdalina.h:
    We took it and I thought it was a waste. The only thing that was helpful was how to give him a bath.

We didn't take it. but took a birthing class (was free) and I liked it, we took it mostly for Dh since he had never really been around or held a bab!!. Also they showed us how to bath the baby in the hospital.

• Loading the player...
  • If she's never really been around babies, it might be worth it. More for get confidence than anything else.
    photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would do it to help A feel more comfortable.
    JHL 12/5/09 - 12/9/09
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Obviously everyone is different, but we only took the classes at the hospital after the baby was born, and DH, who had never even held a baby before, did great and is a SAHD 2 days a week.

$60 isn't a big deal, but I wouldn't want to spend three hours at a class unless your DW really thought it would make a big difference for her confidence.

My Blog: http://krate24.blogspot.com/ Heather Ann, born still on Jan. 26, 2009 at 27w2d. <a href="http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa361/krate24/?action=view
  • It was helpful to us, learning to swaddle properly and bathe properly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    PCOS, Ectopic & M/C of twins October 2010, Currently TTC #2
  • imagegreenclown:
    I would do it to help A feel more comfortable.

This

____________________________________________________________________________
                          My sweet Rylee girl 8-13-2007 and my sweet Emmett man 4-13-2010
                               Annaleigh Willow Elise born and passed at 26 weeks 1 day
                                      Thursday October 17th 2013 from trisomy 13
                                           Http://Alwaysannaleigh.WordPress.com

• imagesoftskate31:
    It might help A be more comfortable...some of sounds "obvious" but $60 isn't that bad. Id do it.

Yeah, I would do it if it was something DH would want.  He is still nervous holding newborns so I can't imagine he would feel comfortable bathing them etc....

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If A wants to do it that's reason enough but we took it (it's probably the same one through Isis, right?) and it was honestly pretty pointless.  DH had never really been around kids but he didn't feel he got a lot out of it.  Parenting requires lots of on the job training :-p
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Is this through Isis (I'm from Boston as well). We did this class, but it was really only helpful in that it made my husband slightly more prepared and a bit more "holy crap, we're having a baby."  Personally, I'd skip it and take their Great Beginnings class for new moms and their 2-8 week old babies.  That class was incredibly useful, and you got to meet a lot of people going through the same stuff as you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We didn't take it and probably wouldn't have if we had the opportunity. I think they teach you a lot of those things (swaddling, baths, etc) at the hospital after the baby is born, no? But, to echo everyone else, if you think it will make A feel more comfortable go for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"