Baby Names
Options

Take a friends name

I love the name Greyson but our friends named their first son that...can i use it? Also my friend is maybe planning on having a thrid child and she told me if it is a girl she wants to use the name Grace. I love that name too and planned on using it but she said it first. Can I use that? (I am not preggo yet but DH and I plan to start trying after Christmas.)image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Take a friends name

• Options

You can name your child anything you want. There is no real thing as 'dibs' on names.

However, all that being said, if it will hurt or end the friendship you need to evaluate that in your choices as well.

• Options

Wait...your friend with a son named Greyson wants to name her daughter Grace or are these two different friends?  If it's the same one....that's a little weird to me.

I agree that there is no dibs on names, but IMO that only counts for unborn babies.  For instance, the friend that likes Grace for an imaginary daughter to be, if you like the name too and had a girl before her, you'd be well within your rights to use Grace, especially if she's not sure she even wants another child.  Since one of your friends already has a Greyson, you might want to look elsewhere.  If you two aren't that close, it's not awful but I wouldn't do it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Unless it was an important family name, I would probably never name my child the same name as a good friends child.  There are just so many names out there, I don't see why it's necessary.  Especially w/ a name like Greyson.  It's kind of a trendy name and well... I just wouldn't do it.

As for Grace - she "might" have a 3rd child.  And if she does, it's a 50/50 chance it will be a girl.

So, I would use the name Grace if I wanted.  You can't let that big of a "maybe" get in the way. 

And regardless - I find it odd to name your kids Greyson and grace.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

And regardless - I find it odd to name your kids Greyson and grace.

Yup.

• Options
    It is two seperate friends.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    There are so many names out there, if the friendships are important to you I would look at other names.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options

You can really use any name that you love and want to name your child. I would hope that your friend would understand, but obviously it could cause some turmoil. I guess it depends on how well you know your friend and how she would react.

Our first baby girl, Lucia Joy, joined us on April 1, 2010!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"