Breastfeeding
Options

If your LO only takes one side at a feeding

If your LO only takes one side at a time, do you pump the other side after each feeding?  Our DD generally eats on one side then is done (either falls asleep or is not interested in taking the other boob).  This leaves me with one soft and one hard full boob.  Will this regulate over time?  Should I be pumping the other side?  I always offer her the other side first at the next feed but still have the same issue with one side being emptied (I think she is emptying it) and one side being full.

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If your LO only takes one side at a feeding

• Options
    Generally he only takes from 1 side or if he takes from the other it's not for very long.  In the morning I will pump the side he doesn't take from because I am so full.  Then I start with that side for the next feeding and alternate after that.  I find that I don't generally need to pump the other side.  Sometimes after dinner time I will do another pump but that's more to build my stash. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I was going to post the same question.. i just have been alternating and just pumping both sides once a day to build up my supply of expressed milk.. those little babies are hard to keep awake for the 2nd breast!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't pump the other side. My supply has regulated over time, so yours probably will, too. Keep in mind that some LOs will start wanting both breasts as they get older, though not all do. But if that happens your supply will regulate again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I did not pump for dd and was only severely lopsided :) for a few weeks. It regulated pretty well. My LC even mentioned that babies that only drink from one side tend to get the hind milk better than babies who eat from both breasts (since they finish just after the letdown before switching). I don't know if that is accurate, but she only ate from one side at a time until she was 11 mo. We started weaning so I fed her on both sides in the morning since my supply was going down.

• Options
    imageCateB95:
    Generally he only takes from 1 side or if he takes from the other it's not for very long.  In the morning I will pump the side he doesn't take from because I am so full.  Then I start with that side for the next feeding and alternate after that.  I find that I don't generally need to pump the other side.  Sometimes after dinner time I will do another pump but that's more to build my stash. 

Ditto!
    After almost 3 years and 2 IUIs our lil guy is here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/hall_kyrac/?action=view
  • Options
    imagehall_ky:
    imageCateB95:

Ditto!
    Same here! It does get better with time but unless both sides are drained close to the same time you probably will have one that feels more full than the other. I don't think it is noticeable to you or others though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"