August 2011 Moms
Options

If your LO only takes one side at a feeding

I also posted this question on the BF board but am really curious to see how other BF moms are handling this issue.

If your LO only takes one side at a time, do you pump the other side after each feeding?  Our DD generally eats on one side then is done (either falls asleep or is not interested in taking the other boob).  This leaves me with one soft and one hard full boob.  Will this regulate over time?  Should I be pumping the other side?  I always offer her the other side first at the next feed but still have the same issue with one side being emptied (I think she is emptying it) and one side being full.

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If your LO only takes one side at a feeding

• Options

It will regulate over time, don't worry.  If you're looking to build a stash you could pump the other side, but if you're not, I wouldn't pump.  If you leave it alone and don't pump, it shouldn't take too long for them to calm down.

• Options

The first few feedings in the morning I pump after feeding (he eats from one side, I pump from both when he's done eating) but in the afternoon I'm not uncomfortable so I don't pump. He does sleep for about 3- 3 1/2 hours in the afternoon and I pump once during that nap because I start to feel engorged. I also pump after he goes to bed (9pm) I pump at 11:00pm, and I pump after he eats at 3am.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJenJune3:

The first few feedings in the morning I pump after feeding (he eats from one side, I pump from both when he's done eating) but in the afternoon I'm not uncomfortable so I don't pump. He does sleep for about 3- 3 1/2 hours in the afternoon and I pump once during that nap because I start to feel engorged. I also pump after he goes to bed (9pm) I pump at 11:00pm, and I pump after he eats at 3am.

I do this too. She sleeps about 4-5 hours in the night so I have to pump in the morning if she doesn't feed from both sides, which sometimes she does because she is super hungry. I usually feed on one side and I noticed it kind of evened out overtime.

• Options
    My LO does this and I've never pumped. I just let one side be full and the other be empty. The empty one fills up soon enough so it doesn't bother me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I pump the other side in the mornings and overnight because I know it will be hours before he eats again or I can pump at work. In the evenings though, I let it ride, because I know he will cluster feed right before bed and I don't want to get caught with an empty boob!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageetoyama:
    My LO does this and I've never pumped. I just let one side be full and the other be empty. The empty one fills up soon enough so it doesn't bother me.

I do the same.  It's pretty much regulated now. 

• Options
    imagemananana:

imageKimML17:
    I personally pump afterward but I am building up a stash for when I am gone. Otherwise it should balance out after awhile. If you do pump it will keep happening. For the most part, if I don't have a chance to pump, I will just be sure to offer the other side at the next feeding and deal with the imbalance. 

Agreed.  Don't pump if you don't want it to continue.  If you must, just pump enough to give you comfort.  I'm battling an oversupply in one breast and it sucks, but I'm trying as hard as I can to avoid pumping my "overachiever".  My oversupply was causing a foremilk/hindmilk issue for DS and making him gassy and making it a struggle to poop.  He was miserable.  

I agree with all this. I also have an oversupply and it sucks. so. bad. Don't pump unless you want to continue pumping or build a stash, as you'll just be making more than your LO needs. I never thought having too much milk would be a problem, but it really does create a lot of issues with LO. Not to mention the constant engorgement, leaking, etc... I could go on and on.

Needless to say, I don't pump unless I absolutely have to. I just start with the other breast at the next feeding.  

• Options
    I feed on one side for a few feedings, and then switch to the other. Only every once in a while do I end up really full, and because I don't have a pump, I just hand express a few oz into a glass and freeze it in a baggie. Works out for me. I have only been swollen once, and I just nursed on that side for several hours, about 5 feedings, and it came back down.
  • Options
    imagekjgilhoo:

imageetoyama:

I do the same.  It's pretty much regulated now. 

Same here.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"