Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Question for dog owners (NBR)

I think my dog's ears are bothering him. He keeps shaking his head and digging at his ears..

My parents have labs and I know their ears hurt sometimes, especially if they get water in them and my parents are always cleaning their ears out. I could ask them but it's too early to call.

Is there something I can wipe my dog's ears out with?? LOL. This question is so stupid.. Someone has to know what I am talking about though.

TIA :)

Heymrwilson-2

Re: Question for dog owners (NBR)

• Check for ear mites - our old dog used to get them somewhat regularly. I believe if you looked in their ear, you'd see black-ish residue inside and other parts would be red and irritated. Google will help more than I can though, it's been at quite a few years since we've dealt with it. There are drops that will treat it easily though.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Thanks everyone!

No, his ears aren't really red. And I don't smell anything. Maybe it is ear mites. I will have H take a good look in his ears when he wakes up

Heymrwilson-2
  • Loading the player...
  • imagethemissizz:
    Check for ear mites - our old dog used to get them somewhat regularly. I believe if you looked in their ear, you'd see black-ish residue inside and other parts would be red and irritated. Google will help more than I can though, it's been at quite a few years since we've dealt with it. There are drops that will treat it easily though.

Be really careful with this though if you think it's the case, our dog had the same thing (I thought) so I got the ear drops and it didn't go away. When I brought her to the vet it was actually an ear infection and the drops can make it worse. I felt so bad.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, you can buy ear cleaner at a pet store.  However, it could also be an infection or ear mites, so a trip to the vet may be in order.
  • I clean his ears every 2 weeks with a warm washcloth. I've always heard you should do that as part of taking care of a dog, so maybe your dog just needs a good cleaning?
    IMG_8165 lb4lyfe2
    Online Photo Editor

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Ztarrgheighzurr Lylliegh Smith is due in January!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageTitts McGeee:
    I clean his ears every 2 weeks with a warm washcloth. I've always heard you should do that as part of taking care of a dog, so maybe your dog just needs a good cleaning?

I was thinking this might be the problem. I do keep him very clean, but I've never washed inside his ears. They have always looked clean and he has never seemed bothered by them until now.

I thought you could wipe their ears with peroxide or something? I would never do this unless I knew it was ok. Just curious though.

Heymrwilson-2
  • You should make an appointment to see your veterinarian.  He or she can quickly diagnose the issue and let you know if there is a condition that needs to be treated with medications.  Then, further appropriate home care can be advised if it's indicated. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It sounds like he might have an ear infection, I'd call your vet.  Whenever our dog does that, he's on antibiotics for an ear infection.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My yellow lab has major allergy problems and usually when he is having a reaction to something is when his ears start bothering him. He will throw his head from side to side and dig at his ears trying to itch them. I give him some human allergy medicine when this happens (Vet gave the okay for this) and if they are still bothering him we have some drops from the vet that we put in his ears.

DD - Juliana Joan - Born October 27, 2010 - My Little Princess

BFP 1/14/13 - M/C 1/22/13 @ 5 weeks

BFP 3/20/13 - EDD 11/11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• What kind of dog do you have? I saw that your parents have labs, maybe I missed it someonewhere. My mom is a dog groomer so I worked with her sometimes. If you have a dog that needs haircuts(think shitzu and similar) they have to have the hair pulled out that grows in their ears. Also if you have given a bath recently maybe you got some water in there. Put cotton balls in the ears before you give them a bath to protect them.
    image.
  • He doesn't need to be groomed. He's boxer/mastiff. His ears aren't cropped, so I thought maybe there is some water in there bothering him. They don't look or smell infected.
    Heymrwilson-2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"