Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

banging his head on the floor during tantrums?!

DS doesn't tantrum a lot yet, luckily. Some times though when he's tired and he's told no, he gets PI$$ED and he lays on the ground and bangs his head on the floor! He doesn't do it hard, I think he learned from the first time he did it and he banged his head hard and it hurt. So I try to ignore him since he's not really hurting himself. I know that's what they tell you to do during tantrums because they're looking for a reaction, so if you ignore them, they'll stop. It does work and he does stop, but it's concerning that he gets so worked up that he's banging his head!

Is this normal? Am I handling it right by ignoring him? (unless of course he's hurting himself)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: banging his head on the floor during tantrums?!

• DD does the same thing and she takes alot of tantrums! My nephews did this as well but they are now 2 and barely do it anymore. It's normal.

As far as if ignoring is the best thing to do, I try to do the same thing but DD will go on having her tantrum so it doesn't seem to be working for us.. so no advice there. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • my dd was a head banger. She stopped a couple months ago.... I didn't do much to persude her to stop, I sometimes would comment "Oh that looks like it hurts" she stopped soon after I started 'validating' it. Otherwise she often shows me 'owies' even if they aren't big one, like her knee scrape she got the other day she keeps showing me and saying "Owie, knee hurt" I just say "Oh yeah you scraped your knee at the park, it did hurt!" then she leaves it alone.

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Loading the player...
  • My 19 month old son just started doing this and I was freaked out because my 4 year old son never did anything like it.  After I realized he was throwing a tantrum I tried to ignore him.  After a few times, I would look at him, walk away and my husband asked, why do you let him do that.  I said, figured he would realize I am ignoring him and it hurts and then stop.  Not yet, he is still doing it often... if you find out a way to prevent them, please let me know!  I am afraid he might hurt himself because he actually walks off the area rug and purposely does it on the bare floor.  If I pick him up while he starts doing it, he tries to headbutt me.  Trying to figure this one out before he hurts himself or someone else.
  • Like PP I acknowledge that it must hurt.  I say "That looks like it would hurt!" to her, and then walk away.  When she freaks out further because now in addition to being mad, her head hurts I look her in the eye and say "I don't feel sorry for you, you did it to yourself" and walk away/turn away.  She stops crying generally pretty quick.  Good luck, it's no fun putting up with tantrums!
  • DS went through that a while back as well.  He doesn't do it as often now.  I just make sure he is in a safe place (ie the middle of the room, not near walls) and give him a few minutes.  If he's not doing it too badly, I'll try to comfort him.  If he's started to do it somewhere dangerous (near corners, appliances, etc) I've literally moved him to the middle of the room before just to make sure he is safe.  I know its hard to watch but its for the most part just frustration. GL!
    Asher Thomas 5.19.10
    Miles Edmund 12.29.11
    Liam Robert 1.21.14
    Baby 4...ok probably another boy here haha 9.20.15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"