1st Trimester

No running?

Anyone else get a no running order from their doctor?

I'm an avid runner.  I've completed several races, a marathon, and was sched to do a half marathon this Sunday. This week I saw my doctor for our forst appointment and he said no running for the entire pregnancy. Not because of me, but, in general it isnt safe for the developing fetus/baby. 

Obv, I'm down to do whatever to ensure the safety of my baby, but I was pretty surprised since I've seen SO many pregnant women running!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker www.bigfatskinny.com

Re: No running?

• The opinion probably varies from doctor to doctor.  Mine told me I could contnue my current exercise (no contact sports or anything with a risk of impact), but to take it a little easy- keep my heart rate lower than normal.

I think jogging is probably fine unless you're high risk.  It seems odd that your doctor said NO running as opposed to maybe just going slow or lowering your mileage... especially in the 1st tri. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 1 | EDD 4.1.11 | MMC D&C 10.27.10 | 14 weeks
    BFP 2 | EDD 9.29.11 | MC 1.25.11 | 6 weeks
    BFP 3 | EDD 3.4.12 | MC 9.5.11 | 10 weeks
    BFP 4 | Twins EDD 6.7.12 | MC James 10.31.11 Kellen 1.12.12 | 8 weeks/19 weeks

BFP 5 | EDD 12.24.12 | Rainbow Baby in the Making!
    **Formerly known as Nikki04vb**
    ? PGAL/PAL Welcome ?
  • If it's something you did a lot before you're probably fine to continue for as long as you're comfortable.  I would just keep an eye on your level of exertion so you don't get too out of breath.

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• Loading the player...
  • I should clarify that his concern wasn't about exertion or heart rate at all, it was the severe impact that your body takes while running that can affect the baby.  (A valid point because with each step you take while running, you absorb the shock of 3x your body weight).  He encouraged me to continue spinning, swimming, walking, etc.  Just no running. 
  • Your doctor is a quack. My friend taught zumba with all 4 pregnancies until she wa in labor.

Its ok to run for a little while still. Promise. 

• My doctor said to keep exercising like I was before but only to the point where I could still carry on a normal conversation with someone... She said if i'm out of breath then most of my blood flow will be directed more towards my heart and lungs and the baby might not be getting enough oxygen or blood flow.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am very early in my preg and I had my 1st dr appt and asked the nurse if i was allowed to run a marathon relay in 2 weeks I am doing shortest leg 5.7 miles and she told me no and the doctor will say no too i will be 7.5 weeks she said that the highest chance of miscarriage is from 6-11 weeks........ she said I could do it as long as i knew the stats....... I also heard that you could continue to do what you were doing before ...... I usually run 10 miles a week and recently ran 4 just at a slower pace and felt fine......... I think as long as you listen to your body you should be fine....
  • imagesarahanderic2009:

Your doctor is a quack. My friend taught zumba with all 4 pregnancies until she wa in labor.

Zumba and running are completely different things.

• imageveggiemommyruns:
    imagesarahanderic2009:

Your doctor is a quack. My friend taught zumba with all 4 pregnancies until she wa in labor.

Zumba and running are completely different things.

not the way she does it! 

• imagesarahanderic2009:

BFP #1 4/2/09 mc 4/12/09 BFP #2 6/2/09 Ectopic 6/23/09 BFP #3 10/16/09 Healthy DS 6/21/10 BFP #4 10/1/10 CP BFP #5 8/19/11 EDD 4/29/12 Betas- #1 82.8 8/22 #2 172.7 8/24 #3 494.2 8/26 #4 2657.8 8/29 u/s #1 9/6 yolk sac no fetal pole u/s #2 9/12 measuring 7w1d HR 144BPM Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • imagesarahanderic2009:

Yes

BFP #1 4/2/09 mc 4/12/09 BFP #2 6/2/09 Ectopic 6/23/09 BFP #3 10/16/09 Healthy DS 6/21/10 BFP #4 10/1/10 CP BFP #5 8/19/11 EDD 4/29/12 Betas- #1 82.8 8/22 #2 172.7 8/24 #3 494.2 8/26 #4 2657.8 8/29 u/s #1 9/6 yolk sac no fetal pole u/s #2 9/12 measuring 7w1d HR 144BPM Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • This is a bit of a surprise to me. I am a jogger (I only do about a mile a day) so I made sure to do my research and I have never found any info discouraging running or jogging. Mr dr also gave me the ok.
  • I've seen this study noted several places: https://www.fitpregnancy.com/workouts/prenatal-workouts/gentle-exercise-best-first-trimester

Not endorsing it, saying you shouldn't run, etc. etc. But it is interesting.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Mine said I could run, just watch the exertion level.  I run very slow and am finding I need more walk breaks now, but I try to get in 3 miles 2-3 times per week.  I'm hoping to continue until the roads get bad around here (I live in WI).  
  • If you were a runner before there is no reason you can't continue through pregnancy as long as it is comfortable, and as long as you aren't deemed high risk. It doesn't "damage the baby" because of the impact.

Doctors are just overly conservative due to liability concerns i suppose.

Run away, your body will tell you when it is time to stop.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No my doctor encouraged me to run and said it was better for the baby to keep up my exercise to read and to just make sure that when I run I can carry on a conversation.... I would get a new Doctor!  No way I am turning into a couch potoato for a year
  • For my first pregnancy I didn't get a "no running" order but I got a do not let your BP go above 150 order.  On my last visit the doctor said that studies have come out that say you can maintain the workout regimen you had before you were pregnant.

For this pregnancy my doctor just told me to listen to my body. When it says I'm pushing it too hard, listen.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"