Trouble TTC

IVF consult = slightly scared $h!tless.

Well, I had my IVF consult appointment yesterday. (Warning, this is long!)

Good things:  The nurse was really wonderful, and so much nicer than my RE.  She spent over an hour with us and sent us home with lots of good info.

Bad things:  Holy COW I am going to be on a lot of meds.  I know I've heard you ladies talk about the different injects... but I didn't realize I'd be taking them all. at. once.  During stims I think 3 shots/day plus lovely oozy suppositories.  This whole thing is so crazy and slightly horrifying...  and I'm terrified of what it's going to do to my body. When the nurse described some patients "waddling away" after the ER, I wanted to cry.

It also, to be blunt, freaks me the eff out to think of being under anesthesia while people poke needles through my vag.

And there were a few things I didn't like about the process at this RE's office, that I'd love to hear other IVFers opinions on:

1)   You don't get a fert report until you are actually at the ET appointment.  Then you have to decide based on the fert report (and "leaning heavily on the RE" and "previous philosophical conversations") how many to transfer and what to do with the rest.  If you have a lot, it seems like it wouldn't influence the decision... but what if you only have 2 and are deciding between transferring 2 or transferring 1 and freezing 1?  Yikes!

2)  They don't tell you the result of your first beta until after the second.  This to me is incredibly lame.  I wonder what would happen if I were to go ape$hit on their asses after the first beta and just start calling them until they caved.  Because by that point I'm going to be peeing on so many sticks -- really it would be better to just have the damn beta number!

3)  Does everyone else have to take doxycycline for 10 days?  MH has to as well... something about some common bacteria that needs to be eliminated to protect the embies?  I thought this was really weird.

We're looking at a mid-January transfer, so starting things up in December.  It's interesting how knowing you have to do IVF/ICSI is one thing, but actually hearing what that means is something entirely different!  IVF is going to practically be a full-time job!

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

Re: IVF consult = slightly scared $h!tless.

• I think it's completely normal to feel scared and overwhelmed at the start of IVF.  About the meds... yes, there are a lot, and yes, it's terrifying when you see them all arrive at once... but it's not nearly as horrible as you think it's going to be.  Really!  Also about the meds... I combine all my medications into 1 vial, and do 1 shot.  I know different clinics do things differently, but maybe you can do that, too?  It makes stimulation so much less scary when it's only 1 shot per day!

About #1 -- I think it's really odd to not get a fert report prior to transfer.  I'm not sure why they would do that!

About #2 -- I feel like a recent poster (maybe Dori), who just got a BFP after IVF, had a similar issue about not knowing betas right away.  This is not how they do it at my clinic, but I guess it does happen.

About #3 -- I take doxy for 5 days post-retrieval, and my DH takes it from 5 days before ER until they tell him to stop.  It's to eliminate low levels of bacteria that could contaminate the embryos, and it does seem to be a pretty standard IVF practice.

I know you still have a couple months to go before starting, but good luck!!

Edited to correct something.

The Table Has Shoes (and Other Ambiguities)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Me = lean PCOS;DH = poor morphology (3%)
    3 IUI/TI cycles = BFN
    IVF #1 with ICSI: antagonist protocol = BFFN
    IVF #2 with ICSI : Lupron downregulation = BFFN...FML
    IVF #3 with ICSI and AH (Antagonist) = IT'S A BOY!!!!

dumbledore

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It is completely overwhelming when you look at the big picture, but once you are actually in the midst of it, you just look at your calendar for that day, figure out which meds you need to take, and it is really much less overwhelming. I was on 3 shots a day during stims (Lupron in the morning, Gonal-F and Luveris in the evening) and it wasn't too bad. I didn't start the suppositories until after ER. As for your other questions... 

1)  I got a few calls from the RE office post-ER. I found out how many they got right after ER. The next day they called to tell me how many fertilized. Three days after ER they called to tell me how many were growing, and to tell me we were going to go to a 5dt. And then at the ET, we decided how many to put back. You should have a discussion with your RE before you even get to ER about how many they recommend putting back and how many you want to put back. Yes, things will change depending on how things look at ET, but it is good to have thought it through beforehand. Especially if you get some Valium prior to ET. Smile

2)  Having had a first beta that was not satisfactorily high, I almost wish I hadn't found out what it was until I knew what #2 was. It just caused 48 hours of anxiety. But I will still want to know what beta #1 is for our FET, even though I know it doesn't mean anything by itself.

3)  We both had to take ciprofloxacin for 10 day when I started stims. Then I had to take doxycycline for 5 days following ER.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagefarmerlynda:

It also, to be blunt, freaks me the eff out to think of being under anesthesia while people poke needles through my vag. 

It's definitely better than being awake while they do it! Smile

But it's really not bad. I woke up feeling very refreshed, although a little embarrassed that I had asked everyone if they were qualified to be doing the procedure. And then if they were the gambling type. I didn't remember any of this, the nurse was only too happy to tell me about it afterwards though.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't really have anything to add, but just wanted to say GL!!
    After 5 TI Clomid cycles, 5 IUIs, and 2 IVFs we finally got our BFP!
    Beta#1 (12dp3dt)= 353, Beta#2 (15dp3dt)= 1466, Beta#3 (22dp3dt)= 14,139, First u/s: TWINS!!
    After 10 weeks of bedrest, our two little ladies joined us at 28w6d
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • It is very normal to be overwhelmed when you first go over everything for your cycle.  It really isn't so bad, though.  You just have to take things one day at a time.

Question #1 - This seems really odd to me.  I would expect a fert report within 24 hours.  They may not give you daily updates after that, but how do they decide when to transfer?  Do they always do 3 day transfers? 

Question #2 - That is how my clinic handles betas.  But, they do betas early at 11 dpo and 13 dpo.  They have seen a LOT of women get negative first betas, positive second betas and have healthy pregnancies.  In my case, I am really really glad I didn't get my first beta until after my second because my first one was negative at 3 and my second one was positive at 29 (this was actually at 15 dpo because of a holiday weekend).

Question #3 - I just had to take a Z-Pack.  MH didn't have to take any antibiotics.  That being said, 10 days of doxy for both spouses is not unheard of.  I know there are several 3T Grads that had that as part of their protocol.

Good luck!!

imageimage

~SAIF/PAIF/Everyone Welcome~ 

Me= 37 and DH = 41 

Dx: DOR, Endo, APA+ (really high beta 2 glycoprotein antibody and high everything else tested), heterozygous MTHFR mutation, positive for lupus anticoagulant, high FSH, low AMH and both tubes blocked (per HSG on 3/8/11)

IVF #1 - long lupron (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized; ET 2 blasts and 1 frozen = BFN

IVF #2 - a version of antagonist with EPP (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 blasts and 1 frozen blast transferred on day 5 = BFN.

IVF #3 April was postponed to May, May was canceled. June/July was canceled. Had a cyst aspiration and then began IVF #3 in August. ER on 8/22; ET on 8/24 with AH. +HPT on 9/5. Beta #1 (11dpo) = 3; Beta #2 (15dpo) = 29; Beta #3 (17dpo) = 60; Beta #4 (19 dpo) = 118. Heartbeat at 6 weeks 6 days =132.  Lil is here!

TTC#2:  Trigger + TI = BFN; Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN.

IVF #4:  BCP + MDLF + Lovenox = 7R, 1F = Transferred 1 6-cell embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #5:  MDLF + Lovenox = 4R, 1F = Transferred 1 10-cell compacting embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #6:  (New RE):  Long Antagonist November 2014 (transferred two 8 cell grade 1 embryos and froze one blast) = BFN

FET#1:  BFN

• I know - it is scary.  Honestly - the shots are not that bad - its not fun - but it is temporary.   The ER experience for me was surreal - I liked having no memory of it or any pain.  I felt really good afterwards too - I was glad to get the eggs out!

As for you list of items - I acutally didn't expereince any of them - they call the next day with the fert report (this surprises me most on your list - they really should tell you!).  I only had one beta and I knew it would be negative - but I do know they would have told me if it was positive.  But my office doesn't do a beta until 14dp transfer - maybe yours does it early and that is why they don't give out the number.  And they do not have my DH on antibiotics - only me before and after transfer.

Good luck - you will do great!!

TTC #1 since 6/09
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    3 IUIs, 4 IVFs = BFFN
      3rd RE: IVF #5/FET = BFP
    14dp5dt=1170 16dp5dt=2573

1st u/s=
    TWINS!
    It's a Boy and a Girl!

Born at 34w3d! 

• Thanks everyone, for the encouragement!  Honestly, I'm not really sure how I'd go through this without this board to answer my questions... and just actually understand what I'm going through.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who found the lack of a fert report weird.  I'm going to email the nurse and find out if there's a way to get around that, because I'm simply not comfortable learning everything right before the ET.  That would be way too much stress for those 3 or 5 days inbetween the ER and ET! 

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• imagelimpetfan:

I think it's completely normal to feel scared and overwhelmed at the start of IVF.  About the meds... yes, there are a lot, and yes, it's terrifying when you see them all arrive at once... but it's not nearly as horrible as you think it's going to be.  Really!  Also about the meds... I combine all my medications into 1 vial, and do 1 shot.  I know different clinics do things differently, but maybe you can do that, too?  It makes stimulation so much less scary when it's only 1 shot per day!

1 vial would be so much better!  I will ask the nurse about that :) 

• #1 - we got our first fert report 24 hours after ER, we got an update at 48 and 72 hours as well.  Embryologist wasn't going to taken them out of the incubator on day 4 as they were doing well and didn't want to disrupt them - tomorrow I'm doing a 5dt

#2 - I'm assuming I'll hear the results of beta#1 immediately - I think it's odd to wait until after beta #2

#3 - DH started doxcycline approximately 9 days before ER / specimen retrieval.  He ended up being on them for 9 days, because once the boys were out there was no reason to keep taking the doxycycline.  I started taking 4 days before the anticipated ER and am still taking them  I have a day left.

Good luck!  It can feel overwhelming.  The days I looked at 4 needles at home (and blood work at the RE's) I felt frustrated.  What I've learned is that I'm so much stronger than I thought I was.

Me: 35 DH: 37 TTC since 4/2010
    DX: 6/9/2011: Azoo ICSI/IVF only option for biological child
    IVF #1: ER - 9/26 * ET - 10/1 * beta#1 10/13 - 140 * beta#2 10/17 - 477 * beta#3 10/20 - 1101
    1st u/s at 6w6d - one hb * 2nd u/s at 8w3d - no hb detected 11/10/11 * natural m/c 11/13/11
    FET #1 Jan/Feb 2012 - 3 delays - cancelled 2/13
    FET #1.2 - May/June 2012 - ET 6/6/* beta#1 6/15 - 95 * beta #2 6/19 - 322 * beta #3 6/22 - 940
    7/6 1st u/s @ 7 weeks - one beautiful hb - released from RE
    EDD 2/22/2013
    PAIF/SAIF/PGAL welcome
    imageimageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It is normal to be scared. My thought is that I will have been ttc for nearly 2 years by the time I get to IVF, and I will remember how many heart aches that I went through to finally get to that point, then I will be like "okay, bring it on". lol. You will be fine hun, and I will be cycling around the same time!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    TTC since March/April 2010
    DX: MFI - less than 1 million sperm, 26% motility
    DH put on anastrozole to increase counts
    June/July 2011 100 mg Clomid + TS IUI#1 & IUI 2 - BFN :-(
    Forced break due to DH getting spinal surgery in August 2011
    IVF - January 2012: BFN
    FET in April 2012 - BFP at 6dp5dt! Beta #1 at 9dp5dt: 82.5, Beta #2 at 12dp5dt: 352 Beta #3 at 19dp5dt: 6000, saw heartbeat and one little bean at 5W6D!
    After nearly 3 years of waiting our LO was born December 18th 2012!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"