Infertility Veterans

2nd guessing myself NIFVR

Ok, so i have wanted a 2nd dog forever.  Rico had a sister, who had puppies....there is a small female we could get.  I was sooooooo excited!!!

So naturally bc everything in Manhattan has to be harder...  We had to get approval from our building, and they put it to a vote of our co-op board!  NEVER AGAIN will i buy a co-op....total F-ing nightmare!  Condo only (i digress)....

So today my super says that they are going to vote in favor of allowing the dog.  All of the sudden i have cold feet.  Maybe i assumed they would never really say yes?

Grrrrr I don't know what to do.  I feel like Rico would love a sister, he seems bored.  But maybe he LIKES sleeping and hanging out alone?

I also worry we will never get another apartment w 2 dogs....

Thoughts?  Advice?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 2nd guessing myself NIFVR

• I dont know how apartments are -- but i can honestly say i loved having 2 dogs. They played. Kept each other company. They were inseparable. After the winter we will get Lola a playmate. However, I dont know if I could do a puppy. Both my girls were 6 months when we got them.

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

• Sounds like quite the process! 

Just some food for thought...unless you are comfortable with kenneling, it's really hard to find a friend that's comfortable with two dogs.  One dog is pretty easy to pawn off on someone when you want to go away, but two is tougher.  It might be insignificant in your decision making, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Good Luck with your decision!

ETA - please don't flame me!  I'm just speaking from experience :(

me 33/DH 36
    ttc since 10/2008; d/x: mild MFI, stageII endo
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~
    11 IUI’s = 1 m/c (7w4d)
    IVF#1 January 2012 BFN, FET #1 April 2012 BFN
    Surprise BFP October 2012 m/c (7w), Surprise BFP April 2013 m/c (6w4d)
    IVF #2: July 2013, ET 1 embryo 7/18, beta 1 @ 14dp3dt - 757, beta 2 @ 16dp3dt - 1762
    U/S 1 @ 6w4d = 1 little frogger with HB of 118, U/S 2 @ 7w3d measuring right on track with HB of 160
    Stick Frogger Stick! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It's a Girl, EDD April 7, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I think cold feet is natural when you have a big change on the horizon, even a wonderful change. I think when you and Rico meet the pup everything will click?or it won't? and you'll know for sure.

So exciting V !!!

+++
  • imageBeeBee08:

Sounds like quite the process! 

Just some food for thought...unless you are comfortable with kenneling, it's really hard to find a friend that's comfortable with two dogs.  One dog is pretty easy to pawn off on someone when you want to go away, but two is tougher.  It might be insignificant in your decision making, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Good Luck with your decision!

huge point actually...i've never kenneled rico.  I have someone that stays here...and someone who will take him (but i pay her big bucks)...so i could pay her double big bucks lol.

• We are getting a 2nd dog this weekend.  I really struggled with the 'does my current dog really want a friend' thing like you are.  What it came down to for me was that she is 7 and slowing down (bulldog) and I want to do everything we can to keep her active and in good spirits.  I think another dog will help with that.

I am by no way naive that there will definitely be some adjusting, but in time, I think it will be the best for everyone. :)

GL!

• imageMayan2011:

We are getting a 2nd dog this weekend.  I really struggled with the 'does my current dog really want a friend' thing like you are.  What it came down to for me was that she is 7 and slowing down (bulldog) and I want to do everything we can to keep her active and in good spirits.  I think another dog will help with that.

I am by no way naive that there will definitely be some adjusting, but in time, I think it will be the best for everyone. :)

GL!

this was my main thought...my guy is a mini bulldog and is 5.
  • Uggh V, I used to manage a building co-op with a very difficult board, so I know how you feel.  I think if you have the room, it sounds like a good idea.
  • imagevanessagorc:
    imageMayan2011:

We are getting a 2nd dog this weekend.  I really struggled with the 'does my current dog really want a friend' thing like you are.  What it came down to for me was that she is 7 and slowing down (bulldog) and I want to do everything we can to keep her active and in good spirits.  I think another dog will help with that.

GL!

this was my main thought...my guy is a mini bulldog and is 5.

Bulldogs rock! :)

• When we moved to Auburn we had a week to find a place to live and three dogs (two Poms and an English Pointer). We moved into a third floor condo and lived there for a year and it was fine. Seriously, fine.

I'll never go back to only having one dog. They love each other, play with each other and wear each other out. It is awesome!

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• imageMayan2011:

They do, and Rico is awesome. 

+++
  • I love having 2 dogs too, I think it's easier and less worry when they have a little buddy to hang out with when you're gone.  I can understand your fear of not being able to find housing in the future with 2 dogs, but I still say go for it!!! Love puppies!!
  • imagemadelyn07:

I'll never go back to only having one dog. They love each other, play with each other and wear each other out. It is awesome!

Like Madelyn, we also have 3 dogs and I agree with everything she said above.

Good luck V!

TTC #1 Since 11/08 - Dx: MFI & PCOS
    7 IUIs = All BFNs
    2011: March IVF #1.2 = e/p @ 6w: May IVF #2 = BFN: July sFET #1 = BFN

2012: Jan We're Certified FC/A Parents
    May IVF #3 = c/p
    June-Nov Foster Mommy to M (Toddler)
    July FET #2 = BFN
    Aug FET #3 = BFN
    Sept-Nov Foster Mommy to Baby Bella (Newborn)
    Nov HSG/Sono = Clear!
    Dec FET #4 = BFN

2013: Feb FET #5 = m/c @ 6.5w
    May-July Foster Mom to H (8 yr old girl)
    June/July/Aug IVF #4 = Freeze All
    July = Unofficially Adopting T (10 yr old boy)
    Sept FET #6 = TBD
    **PAIF/SAIF Welcome**
  • imageEdwina.McDunnough:
    imageMayan2011:

They do, and Rico is awesome. 

Yes Thx E!
  • I honestly debated for two weeks whether or not we should keep the puppy we rescued from DH's in-laws. But I can say now that I don't regret it at all. Even our old man Bassett Hound loves her, and she is just the sweetest. Sometimes it sucks having to do the whole house training thing again, but it is a fair trade very all the joy she has brought us. I say go for it!
  • I think as long as he likes other dogs that it would be good. I think our dog might get lonely, but she actually isn't big into other dogs. We dog sat a dog a few months ago and it was okay, but he drive her crazy. She likes being our only dog.

I agree it might be good to keep him young too.

PAIF and SAIF Always Welcome!
    TTC since 2007
    6 IUIs, 3 IVFs, and 2 m/c :< PCOS, Blood Clotting Disorder & MFI
    IVF #2 Aug 2011 is a BFN:<
    IVF #3 March 2012 is a BFN
    Not sure what to do now. Sad and lost.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I don't know if it would be different in an apartment, but I find it is easier to have two than one.  They keep each other busy, the only problemis twice the vet bills!
    imageimageimage

TTC since March 2009 // Me and DH - 28
    Testing Summer/Fall 2010 - Unexplained IF
    IUIs #1-4 ~ Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
    IUI #5 ~ Femara/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ BFN
    IUIs #6-9 ~ Research Study Meds/Pregnyl/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
    IVF Consultation, More Testing
    Diagnostic Cycle ~ Mucinex/Progesterone/TI ~ BFN
    IVF #1 ~ Menopur/Bravelle/Ganirelix/Novarel/Progesterone/Lupron
    7R, 6F // 2 transferred // 3 frosties ~ BFN
    FET #1 ~ Estrace/PIO/Lupron
    3 thawed // 2 transferred // 1 lost // no more frosties ~ BFP!!
    Beta #1 - 456 // Beta #2 - 1176 // Beta #3 - 2933 // Beta #4 - 6753
    EDD: May 16, 2013
    Threatened MC at 6w2d
    Bedrest for SCH // 6w2d through 10w1d
    Elevated TSH and Lazy Thyroid DX @ 10w - Started Synthroid
    Finally released from RE at 13w
    Charles Everett ~ Born 5/20/2013

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

~~ My IF Blog ~~ 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards