2nd Trimester

Dinner help please!

Something toddler friendly.. I'm getting tired of the same meals. I like healthy, but not over the top with eggplant & couscous kinda stuff. 

Any ideas??

Oh, and anything to make white rice into as a side?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dinner help please!

• chicken or pork in the crockpot (4 hr on high) with cream of mush soup and cream of chicken. Season to taste. Serve over rice. (can also make the meat in the oven) So good. My daughter loves it.

Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I recommend cooking brown rice in chicken broth instead of water and serving it with grilled pork chops and peas.  And apple sauce, of course!
  • Loading the player...
  • My DH is a white rice freak, he could eat it at every meal. One of his favorites is ground turkey swedish meatballs and white rice, DS likes it too. It's the healthy version from the South Beach Diet book, not the typical fatty white sauce. Here's a link: https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=584055

• imagegsteph88:
    Chicken breast strips with tomato sauce white rice sounds yummy to me. I always throw a little cheddar cheese in with the rice to give it a bit more "sticky-ness" so my little one can pick up handfuls and eat it.

Cheese in the rice to make it easier to pick up...what a great idea! You're genius!

• imageaattebury:

My DH is a white rice freak, he could eat it at every meal. One of his favorites is ground turkey swedish meatballs and white rice, DS likes it too. It's the healthy version from the South Beach Diet book, not the typical fatty white sauce. Here's a link: https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=584055

I am a white rice freak too. It's been SUCH a pregnancy craving for me! Those meatballs sound really good, unfortunately DH won't go for meatballs. Sigh.. 

• I like white rice just plain as a side with a little salt, yum!! 

Last night I browned up a chicken breast in a skillet, and made a sauce of some soy sauce, minced garlic, chopped onion, and orange marmalade (crushed red pepper if you like spice).  It's the closet to Chinese food my SO will stand, and his 2yo son loves it too. I like to put the sauce on the rice & chicken.  I also made steamed mixed veggies, just the frozen premix, and my SO mixes that in with the rice. 

Me: 29  DH: 33
    Married April 1st 2017 <3
    DS #1: May 2009 
    DS #2: Jan 2012 

• Chicken and Veggies

Ingredients
    1 cup canned 98% fat-free cream of mushroom condensed soup
    1 cup fat-free sour cream
    2 teaspoons chopped garlic
    1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
    4 cups frozen cauliflower florets
    2 cups frozen bite-sized mixed vegetables
    1 cup canned sliced mushrooms, drained
    20 ounces raw lean skinless boneless chicken breast
    Salt, black pepper, and additional spices, to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    In a large bowl, mix condensed soup, sour cream, garlic, and salt. Add cauliflower, mixed veggies, and mushrooms, and stir to coat. Set aside.
    Lay a large piece of heavy-duty foil on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray. Season chicken with salt, black pepper, and any additional spices you like. Place chicken in center of the foil, and top with veggie mixture.
    Place another large piece of foil on top. Fold together and seal all four edges of the two foil pieces, forming a well-sealed packet.
    Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 1 hour, until chicken is cooked through.
    Allow packet to cool for a few minutes, and then cut to release steam before opening it entirely. (Careful -- steam will be hot.) If you like, season to taste with pepper and additional salt. Now dig in!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"